caspar

wingsuit deployments

hi everyone,

i am planning to eventually get into WS (still quite a while off). i was wondering, is there any reason why i cant deploy, WS style in a full track on every jump? i figure if i do it on every jump then its got to be great practice for when i do WS, probably going to try it out in about 100 jumps around september time. obviously, do practive pulls in a track first before going for it,

i was just wondering if its a good or bad idea.

cheers.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Opening in full track is possible, and done quite a lot.
Though in the beginning, a different technique (slowing down) is usualy tought..

Dont worry about it too much...its all stuff thats covered in full detail when you get the instruction when you try out your 1st wingsuit jump.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

No need to practice opening in a full track. Just practice exits with your arms by your sides and a wingsuit style pull and keep your arms at your sides thru the deployment sequence.

If you are really keen, you can Unzip imaginary wings before reaching up or whatever.

Kris.

Practice flying with both hands on bottom corner of rig, knees bent (very important), with a good arch and your chin up. while in this position (at a high altitude) make your self unstable so you can become familiar with instability in this position. Also practice tracking exits as if you are trying to follow the plane. Face forward in the door, side step out presenting the center of your chest to the relative wind, hands at sides, chin up, slight arch. and lastly practice navigation do not fly downwind or through jump run, fly to the upwind side of dz.
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Practice flying with both hands on bottom corner of rig, knees bent (very important), with a good arch and your chin up. while in this position (at a high altitude) make your self unstable so you can become familiar with instability in this position.

????

Thats quite a stable position! :S

Thats quite a stable position! :S

From watching students, I'd say that most people, their first time in this position, have quite a bit of potato chipping, usually moreso in the pitch direction (think rocking horse). It's only a stable position if you're used to it. ;) Practicing is a good idea.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think the stability depends on what the student/person does to pull in his legs..

Some only pull their legs up and arch (pic left - pos.jpg)...others (not doing what they'e been briefed) de-arch and drop the knees..(pic right - pos.jpg) .

Both methods work fine for stopping your forward motion.
But depending on what you do with your legs, its smooth and stable, or you're riding a small burble, which can wobble a bit..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

From watching students, I'd say that most people, their first time in this position, have quite a bit of potato chipping, usually moreso in the pitch direction (think rocking horse). It's only a stable position if you're used to it. Wink Practicing is a good idea.

I tried last year. It turned to be quite stable in freefall with some potato chipping.

Other question if you want to do it again after you tried ;).

No doubt! the attached pics are what happened when I deployed without getting rid of my horizontal speed on my Prodigy.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Can you verify that the riser damage was due to a single w/s deployment? (certainly not doubting you here just wondering if there may have been previous undiscovered damage)

I throw in full flight every time on a V-2 (and on my S-3 and GTI). I jump a Sabre-1, it opens kind of fast. So far no damage to me or equipment.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Can you verify that the riser damage was due to a single w/s deployment? (certainly not doubting you here just wondering if there may have been previous undiscovered damage)

Can't verify that it was one opening; however, those risers only have around 100 jumps on them. When I first started jumping my Prodigy, I had about 4 hard openings in a row until I realized that a 3 count wasn't enough decel time for me. If I had to guess, it did happen on one jump though. Because on that opening, I chipped a tooth as I ate the other side's 3 ring, gashed my right hand on the riser and and tore the Prodigy's left toe strap off it's velcro. It also tore the center cell label halfway off my canopy.

When I first got my canopy (269 sf), it shipped with a slider that was sized for a sub-200. To compound the problem, I had some fall rate issues and reguarly deployed at 175 to 181 mph. I thought those were hard openings, but they didn't even compare to the one that broke my Prodigy.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Bad ass shit there John, are you using type 8 risers? The Safire typically opens about as slow as you could ask for, I assume you're packing it for a soft opening too. In your case getting a slow deployment speed sounds essential, timing your throw for slow horizontal speed but before your vertical speed builds is going to be a little tricky.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Bad ass shit there John, are you using type 8 risers? The Safire typically opens about as slow as you could ask for, I assume you're packing it for a soft opening too. In your case getting a slow deployment speed sounds essential, timing your throw for slow horizontal speed but before your vertical speed builds is going to be a little tricky.

Yeah, type 8's though I'm talking with Jeff at Mirage about a custom pair made with different webbing.

And yeah, my Safire opens sweet. MEL realized the slider issue and made me a custom one. Between the over-sized slider and the tandem-weight Vectran lineset, it's not unusual for me to have a 1500 ft. snivel. And in general, the higher my descent rate, the sweeter the oppening. That's why getting popped during the w/s openings was such a shocker. I even let Kahn and Griz at Nylon City take a pop at it with equally bad results.

-Blind