FrogNog

Resistant Intentional Mal Stories - canopies that want to open

From another thread in another forum, someone says canopies want to open. I agree and I learned this from a story one of my riggers told me about how hard it was to get his first canopy on an intentional mal-cutaway jump to actually mal.

Story goes, he had the first one in a 10-gallon garbage bag, all wadded up to hell, jumps out and strips the bag off and it opens perfectly.

So, some of youse guys have done these jumps, right? What stories do you have about the canopy that Would... Not... MAL!?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Did you watch a Malfunctions video during your FJC?

Not sure about the one you watched, but the one that I show, they actually had to SEW lines down on the canopy for a lineover and stuff like that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i remember they were doing a reconstruction of an incident that happened in florida. i was at the dz the 2 days they did it. they had a rig on a dummy and 1 of the breaks was intentionally unstowed and a knot was tied into it. they dropped the dummy using a static line from about 1,000 feet and the canopy opened perfectly.

.-.

I tried to induce a line over a few years back (I was trying to practice using the line mod on my BASE gear). I would pack with the control lines pulled around dead center on the nose. I made about ten jumps like that, off a nice cushy bridge over water. Had some funky bad openings (off-headings, hard diving twists, stuff like that), but never got the line to stick in front of the canopy. Then, a year and a half later, I'm hopping off a cliff in Switzerland, and 'bam!' spinning lineover. Sometimes, you just can't win.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The DZO at my home DZ made his own mal video. He told us how he just couldn't cause a baglock mal. He tried looping line stows through each other, knotting them up....none of it worked and the d-bag just kept opening up. So he resorted to some good old duct tape and it worked! (or didn't work...you get the idea).
Flying Hellfish #470