BravestDog

How do I hook these risers to this canopy?

I want to try to fly this canopy like a kite and would like to know how to hook these risers to the lines from the canopy.

Could anyone either tell me how to do it or recommend a website that would tell me how to do it.

The canopy is a Falcon 265.

Here are pictures of the risers and the canopy lines. Thanks for the help.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bravestdog/lst?.dir=/Parachute/Falcon+265+Parachute&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/

Please do no try to fly a canopy like a kite on any day that has more then about a 10 mph breeze.

You need to detemine the front line group and the rears. The steering lines are seperate. Attach the steering lines to the toggles after passing the line through the guide ring on the back of the riser. The rear line group are the ones closest to the sterring lines. Attach the rings ones to the right riser, the left ones to the left. Repeat for the front. Make sure none of the lines are twisted or crossing over another line as they run from the canopy to the metal link that needs installed on the riser.

Personally... its a BAD IDEA to try and kite a canopy. My 25 square foot sport kite has drug me across a park before when I was playing hard with it. It drug me in 20 foot spurts. I played with a 50 and it was all I could do not to get lifted into the air on some of the simpler powerbuilding moves. Kite surfers get 30 feet + jumps and forward speed of 20 mph off kites under 100 feet in size.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Could anyone either tell me how to do it or recommend a website that would tell me how to do it.

personally, i would use a rope, with a knot at the end

edit to add: get video because it really doesn't matter how you attach them, right or wrong you are going to hurt yourself!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

I see the lines are already on links and the links on a piece of cardboard. Just attach the "front" links to the front risers (the ones without the yellow toggles on them) and the "rear" links on the rear risers. Control lines attach to the toggles. You can remove the slider before you attach the lines since you have no use for it. Left and right don't really matter since you won't be jumping this canopy (I hope I don't have to point out that "lef"t should go on one set of risers and "right" on the other).
I'd also suggest you attach those risers to opposite ends of a strong stick or better yet, a 2' long piece of metal tube you can easily hold in your hands. Sorta like what kitesurfers use. Note, though, that the lines on the canopy aren't long enough for it to actually fly around like a kite (other difficulties put aside). But you can probably put on roller blades, find an empty parking lot and have a blast. Just make sure someone's filming it. :P (Another note; you can get seriously hurt doing this. Don't say noone warned you)

If you're still not sure, ask a rigger. Also, if you intend to jump this, or any other canopy, get a rigger to attach it to the risers!

The canopys toooooo big! You will not be able to control it. Years ago I built a 75 ft2 Ragello style kite. My anchor stake pulled loose and the wind gust pulled me up in the air 10-15 ft, the kite buckled and I fell hard. Keep it under 50 ft2.

I say get some rope and attach that to the risers once you get it connected

make sure you have video

Tie yourself FIRMLY on the ground... Maybe to a tree or something, so that the thing can't pick you up and throw you around.

*warning* Doing what you want to do has a high potential for danger *warning*
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Is this really going to work? Wouldn't the trim of the canopy keep it from ascending?
I know, I've watched people 'ascend' on low cloud days, but they've got a vehicle helping, not just the wind.
I've seen people get dragged in the wind, and I've seen people running or walking with an inflated canopy above them, but I've never seen somebody get pulled back in to the sky.
Just a thought.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

Take this for what you will.

How about as an added safety precaution you tie a rope to your cutaway(if you use an RSL disconnect it) and then to a tree (anchor yourself to something else with a slightly shorter line). That way if your main anchor line gets pulled loose the main will cutaway leaving you standing there (hopefully). Maybe even holding the brakes or secure them to something else so that if it does cutaway they at least collapse the canopy so it doesn't go fluttering off into a tree or so.

I have no idea if this will work the way i described it. If anyone has any comments on why or why not it shouldn't be done i'd like to know.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Fred, I see your a Nuclear Physicist. Let me just say what a few others have said in another way. What you are attempting to do is a kin to saying that you would like to swim in reactor water and what's the best swim suit and goggles to do it in. The potential for something to go wrong if the wind even picks up a little bit with a canopy of that size is pretty high, that is once you get it off the ground. I say chalk this one up as a really bad idea and move on to the kites designed for what you want to do . But like everyone else said, if you do decide to do this, please make sure you get video cause I'm sure it will eventualy make it onto Real TV or a bloopers show:D:P;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What should I do with the brake lines?

leave them unstowed, like canopy is in full flight

Can I control the trim of the canopy once I get it airborne?

negative ghost rider, your inputs will be equivalent to riser inputs from your harness....

dude, seriously don't try this unless you have video...it's going to be one of those things that will become the coolest video ever....besides, when you get pummelled by it, you are going to want to have something to remember it by other than the bruises, cuts, and broken bones that are going to result! and please promise you will post it for the rest of us to laugh at...i mean watch! good luck brother, hope you don't get broken!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Could someone explain to me what is so dangerous? Can't he just let go of it if it gets too strong? The only danger I see is a. having the canopy blow onto a moving car or airplane b. losing the canopy. c. getting a fine for littering if he doesn't get it back. If he stays away from roads and power lines, whats the problem?

If it's too srong you might find your self 20 or 30 feet in the air before you have a chance to let go. Do you really want to let go there? Or do you want to be tossed back to the ground and drug if you keep holding on?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've flown a Fury about 50-100ft in the air with no ill effects in winds that were too strong to jump in...
I really don't see what everyone's getting so het up about...has anyone actually tried this with a skydiving canopy? They are designed very different to kites...
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

yes, we've dumped my mates Stiletto 135 out on at a local park before.

dumb idea but funny till we get his ass drug to shit.

its either not windy enough to inflate the canopy or if it is windy enough to inflate it you are not going to hold it.

enjoyment factor is low too as there's fuck all you can do with it even once you have it up. takes about 5 minutes for the ammusement factor to wear off.

I can't believe every one is discouraging this chap.

I think it's a great Idea. Go buy a bunch of Body armor to help absorb any impact that may incur. Let go quickly if you get picked up to 5 feet from the surface of the earth. Any higher you're really asking for a serious impact.

Good luck man. Push on!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

In actuality you can kite it to SOME degree.

With the brakes set, lay the canopy on the ground nose up. Grab the risers, back up and pull it up into the wind. It's easier to keep it aloft using front riser input.

It will inflate and you'll have to try and keep it in the air. It's not a real kite so it's not all that fun. But to see it over your head, just try what I wrote.

The higher you have it in the air, the less it will try and drag you around. Be able to walk backwards so you can keep it air born.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I want to try to fly this canopy like a kite and would like to know how to hook these risers to the lines from the canopy.

I have seen people get seriously hurt doing this. And that was on an old ragged-out Pegasus(porosity so bad you could read a paper through it from several fet away.) with two blown endcells. If your 265 has an porosity left in it, you will be lucky if you are jsut critically injured.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have seen people get seriously hurt doing this. And that was on an old ragged-out Pegasus(porosity so bad you could read a paper through it from several fet away.) with two blown endcells. If your 265 has an porosity left in it, you will be lucky if you are jsut critically injured.

-Blind

For how much I agree that the potential is there to get seriously injured. I think there is also some potential to not get injured. I am not about to go encouraging it, but with some caution I don't think he is going to get killed. Its not much different than getting dragged on a windy day, and that happens every now and then too.

Try it or not its up to him, just make sure its on video.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

:D Well, yeah, flying a parachute as a kite is dangerous, but most likely you'll suffer minor line burns and/or some "ground rash" as a result...

This is a 200 sqft Maverick with a bit longer lines than a standard one.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=235569#235569

Try it, it's fun. And don't come crying to me if you get hurt...:P