atsaubrey

reline?

question....i am new to the sport and looking to purchase a rig. i am 300lbs and have been jumping a MT-1XX military rig. because of my weighti will probably be better off puchasing the same thing i have been jumping to meet the weight requirements. i know of a rig for sale but it looks like the military cuts the lines on the canopies when they put them out of service. any idea what it would cost to get the canopies relined? is this the right term for replacing the lines?
"GOT LEAD?"

yes, "reline" is the right term.

Plan to spend above $200 on it. Our loft charges $248 for a seven-cell, and $268 for a nine-cell, but I know you can have it done for less $$ other places. And if for some crazy reason you're talking about a round, your guess is as good as mine...:P

Would a tandem canopy (EZ maybe) be a better choice for him? They are available used, and have reserves to match, much like the military gear he is using now. My guess would be that the tandem canopies, designed for experienced TM's, might perform better (openings, landing, etc.) than military gear built for, well, the military where guys don't make enough jumps to really know the difference between good performance and not.

than military gear built for, well, the military where guys don't make enough jumps to really know the difference between good performance and not.

That is so far from the truth. While not as agile as a sport canopy, the Para flight canopy in the MC4/ MC5 parachute systems do exactly what they are designed to do, suspend a lot of weight and land in tight areas if needed. Granted, you won't swoop a 7 cell 370 sq ft F-111 canopy but I can fly it like an accuracy canopy to where I want it in less than ideal conditions. For someone with the body weight of 300lbs(minus gear) the performance the jumper would get from the parachute might be pretty comparable to a wing loading slightly over 1 to 1 on say a 7 cell sport rig. I have seen some big guys with combat gear come in pretty fast and shut it down to a tip toe landing much like a sports set up.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i appreciate the discusion...does anyone know where i could get my hands on a complete military rig that is ready to jump or atleast something that would meet the weight requirements? like i said i found a complete rig, minus a AAD but the canopies have the lines chopped. does anyone know if this is what the military does when they get rid of a rig? if it is i would imagine the canopies are are in decent shape and all that would be needed would be a reline on both canopies. hell if that would be all, i could get the setup (minus AAD) for around $800. then an add the cost of the AAd and i'd have a very inexpensive rig suited to my requirements.
"GOT LEAD?"

Sometimes the military retire canopies because they are worn out (too many jumps) sometimes they retire canopies because they sat on the shelf too long and sometimes they retire canopies because they bought a newer and more exciting line of canopies.
The main reason they cut lines off surplused canopies is to discourage whuffos from hurting themselves.
Re-lining a canopy that Para-Flite built for the military is no more difficult than re-lining a canopy that Para-Flite built for skydivers. A couple of months ago, Para-Flite mailed me a line kit for a Turbo Z 165 that they built about 10 years ago. They may be reluctant to mail line kits for military pattern canopies .. hint, just tell them that you have a 340 square foot Golitah canopy.
Also, any of the better civilian parachute lofts can re-line your canopy starting with just a factory trim chart and a spool of suspension line.
Hint, I have most of the Para-Flite trim charts on file.

then an add the cost of the AAd and i'd have a very inexpensive rig suited to my requirements.

I assume that you know that the AAD you can use with that rig is known as a FF2 and isn't like abything most civilians have ever used or seen. It also requires that you have an Irvin calculator(whiz wheel) in order to calculate the settings on the unit based off of Barometric readings fro that day and deplyment altitude. It's not rockey science but it's harder than pushing a cypress button several times. I don't know if you will be able to get your hands on a working FF2, if you can, power to you. Just be sure you understand how it works and is attached to the rig each time you jump. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. As rigger bob said and I mentioned to you in PM. The lines may have been cut for several reasons, which is why I would have someone( a rigger) look at the canopy to ensure it is servicable and your not wasting your money.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

thanks guys

i bought the rig. the owner said it had less than 25 jumps on it...and i called paraflight and they will reline both chutes for about $200/each. as far as the AAD goes..i will have to look into that some more. i know the rig i am using for AFF has a FXC. i'll have to find out if they had to make modifications to the rig to make that work. obviously i'd like to have a cypress but i will have to find out if they can modify the rig to make one work.
"GOT LEAD?"

Congrats on your new rig, Aubrey. I am curious as to what size (largest to smallest) mains and reserves fit in your rig? How much does the actual rig weigh with both canopies inside? Also, now that you have your own rig, where are you going to finish your AFF? Are you heading back to Gold Coast, or are you going to try to jump somewhere in Southern California? :)

im going back to gold coast next friday..actually leaving friday and jumping saturday and sunday. (oct 31st). as for canopie sizes...im not sure what will fit but these rigs come with 370 ft2 mains and reserves. they are identical canopies. f-111 and all that jazz. this rig is BIG..not quite tandem big, but gotta be close, they weigh like 45 lbs. and would imagine you could get tandem canopies in them. italked to the guys in perris and they said no on using these rigs but once i had him look them up on the internet he got really interested and said he would do some research. as far as elsinore Lob was less then....encouraging. but i think i can con the perris guys into it. it is all going bask to TSO ratings. the military rates these things at 360 lbs at 150 knots and 400lbs suspended.i imagine the 400lbs is for static line. all i can say is these things are big, ugly, and very durable. hhmmm wonder if i could dye the thing??? sure would help its looks...the only thing it has going for it is it has solid gray canopies and not cammo or worse olive drab..lol
"GOT LEAD?"

thanks guys

i bought the rig.
.... obviously i'd like to have a cypress but i will have to find out if they can modify the rig to make one work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Easy, just find a Master Rigger who has Airtec's blessing to do Cypres retrofits. (Hint: he has a purple binder in his loft.) The actual sewing is the same as installing a Cypres in a "Swift" harness/container.
And you will have to purchase a two-pin, expert Cypres.
You are wise to stick with a Cypres as that is what civilian skydivers know and trust. Also civilian riggers are familiar with installing Cypres.