sdctlc

Fwd vs. Vert Body Positions

I was looking on the forum to try and find a ballpark idea on the different body positions for the two different flight modes...

I am guessing a more head low attitude for faster forward speed with a faster vertical and the higher head attitude will give a slower vertical and forward. Closer to a stall of the suit. Though that does not always seem to be what I have noted from some of the posts I searched and found.

Obviously leg position will affect the numbers. With a wider stance I am guessing will give more drive and maybe push head down a bit but that should also give more lift with the forward speed.

I am curious as I have been tinkering with Body positions since I got my new Phantom a few weekends ago. Tinkering is frustrating and though I will continue to tinker, I am curious what the "global" opinion is on the attitudes for the different flight modes.... Yeah Flocking is a different animal and flying dirty comes in depending on the suit and person, but a balance between Fwd speed and vertical speed is always going on. Just curious on others basic thoughts on the issue.

Thanks
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

yea, what kirk said,
Good starting point:

http://phoenix-fly.com/articles%20stvari/performance_flying_1.pdf

The rest is further tinkering and usually pilot & suit combo specific. My suits so far have not come with a device driver or plug-n-play compatibility, so I've had to tediously write out my own drivers and config files each time I get a new suit. Your results may vary.;):P
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

With a wider stance I am guessing will give more drive and maybe push head down a bit but that should also give more lift with the forward speed.

it's a constant struggle between the too. on one side if it is too wide (the leg) then you have a little bit of less leverage pushing them down. in general one isn't going to be flying the most efficent, especially flocking.

are you trying to accomplish something out of this? like personal best distance or time aloft?

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

The most difficult thing for me was to get the head down and not look at things while flying. I'd forget that on every jump. Get the head still and look with your eyes...even then in my experience the best flights are when the eyes are fixed and the concentration is total.

Anyway...it seems like a good wingsuit pilot will make a good camera person.

Kris.

The rest is further tinkering and usually pilot & suit combo specific. My suits so far have not come with a device driver or plug-n-play compatibility, so I've had to tediously write out my own drivers and config files each time I get a new suit. Your results may vary.

In the words of the great Homer Simpson,

Nerrrrrrrrrd!!!!!:D

The tinkering is fun though;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm far from having much figured out and some things depends on the suit but one factor is constant in both flight modes. Head position is vital, the PF pdf repeats this fact several times. I've never flown for minimum vert speed but I get max time and max speed with head tucked in hard and head low. More head lowbody position gives more speed but sacrifices some lift resulting in less time. Tilting up slightly loses speed but gains lift so increases time. I don't know how far tilting up goes to slow the fall rate even more, i have only been as slow as 44 if I recall correctly. I also think that stretching the leg and arm wings may be useful for slow fall but letting the wings have their natural shape should give better lift at higher forward speed. OTOH I'm constantly amazed at how much I have to learn about being a glider.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............