darklow

Bird-man GTI, next steps.

Have some questions about next steps after i have learned for simple and stable exits and flights with my first wingsuit - BirdMan GTI. We have also tried to fly two together, not so perfect, not so close, but we are working on it :)

Questions are about independent flights while training and flying alone. What exercises should i start with to improve my skills (also acrobatical)? Faster turns, saltos, backflying? Esspecially interested in backflying. What would be the best order for these acrobatical tricks and are there any manuals already written for doing that. Is it possible and safe with GTI wingsuits to do such tricks? Of course i can try just turn myself on back or roll and see what happens and see if i can handle it, but is it the safest way?

Since in our dropzone and country (Latvia) we have no professionals in wingsuit flying only place to ask this is here. First steps and instructions in wingsuit flying we learned in another country at professionals, but the rest training is up to ourselves ... Thanks.
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

If you have trouble flying together (non tricks), try not both flying towards each other, but have one of you fly 'solo' (just flying a good patern) and have the second flyer try and get close. Its usualy easyer this way, as two people working towards eachother can cause a lot of overshooting when trying to get close. And then just take turns flying 'base'

*small edit*

When you're comfortable doing 2 ways, and you know that you can play around in the air, without getting lost, hitting eachother, or doing anything else which might be dangerous. and you know your suit, and can fly it well and stable, no matter how funky your exit...then its time to try some 'tricks'

I didnt notice you jump numbers, and do hope those are not up to date...as that jump number would be more suitable for # of wingsuit jumps in terms of this question, then it would be for a total # of jumps..

*end edit*

Always do your tricks at a safe altitude (a safe margin above your pull
altitude).

Try practicing them solo first.
Then try 2 ways, flying formation, and taking turns in doing small things like front-loops and barrel rolls. That way you'll be able to debrief each-other on what you're doing, and you'll see what your manouvre is doing, in terms of staying relative to other people (how much altitude is the manouvre costing you)

If you check www.flylikebrick.com there is a section called video manuals, where small video tutorials on loops, rolls, backflying etc. will be posted the coming weeks (One new video a week is what we're aiming for)
One is already up there, the barrel-rolls video will be up this week.

Check the forums here using the search funtion, and you'll also find a lot of tips and pointers on the different manouvres you're looking for
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

We have also tried to fly two together, not so perfect, not so close, but we are working on it :)

Questions are about independent flights while training and flying alone. What exercises should i start with to improve my skills (also acrobatical)? Faster turns, saltos, backflying?

Learn to crawl before you run. If you can't yet fly a 2-way smoothly, there isn't any reason to be working on acrobatics. Start with the basics. Keep making 2-ways with your friend until you can stay relative for the whole jump, take docks, etc.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You really started WS with 133 jumps only? With instructor or alone?

I felt ready for wingsuit flight. Had good tracking skills. And really really wanted to try wingsuit. Started it with instructor. With training tracking flights, imitating openings and first flight with suit also imitating openings.

mccordia - thanks for info.
P.S. Your videos are really inspiring me, to learn and enjoy flight even more ;)

Also recieved info about "Skyflying Wingsuits in Motion" - it looks like this book is exactly for me and definately going to purchase it.

Learn to crawl before you run. If you can't yet fly a 2-way smoothly, there isn't any reason to be working on acrobatics. Start with the basics. Keep making 2-ways with your friend until you can stay relative for the whole jump, take docks, etc.

The thing is i can't always fly 2-way, because of no partner, so i better practise alone something new, not just fly straight.

A reason you might be experiencing difficulty in flying 2 ways, might also be your not too broad experience in other diciplines.

Try doing some RW 2 ways, and freefly/tracking jumps (instead of all wingsuit) and you'll notice a lot of the skills learnt there are directly translated into your wingsuit flying.

Actually putting the suit away for a while, and focussing on that wil definately improve your flying...even though it might sound as strange advice..

Especialy the aerobatic stuff, its better to practice that without a wingsuit first, and get good and skilled instead of trying it with a lot of wing that can make spins problematic to get out of..

And one more tip...use the internet and try and find an experienced flyer that can help you...flying with someone who's a better flyer, and getting tips and maybe even some coaching will improve your flying with huge leaps..

All in all..a lot of tips..all coming down to...dont rush things....and be safe...skydiving and skyflying wil be here for a long time..

Try learning everything with baby-steps...and especialy, DO work on your 2 way freefall skills in other diciplines...it will all benefit your flying....both form a safety, and a skills-standpoint..!

*edit*

Started it with instructor.

I think both PFI and Bird-Man instructors hold the same 500 jumps total, or 200 jumps in the last 18 months rule, when they take people on as students..

Wingsuiting is a dicipline that 'lost' a lot of people that where trying things out, inventing the way how to safely do things...so dont try and invent the wheel when it comes to new things...

You did a good thing coming in here and asking for tips...but nobody here can see how well you fly..
Just be safe..and try and learn as much as possible from experienced flyers (if possible)

Its worth driving a few hours to meet up with someone on another DZ.
Maybe making one or two jumps less a day, but if you learn more, its definately worth it..

Also look into Estonia, there's a few wingsuit festivals there in summer, and some good flyers that could definately help you developing new skillsB|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I just red again all the advices and answers to my post this morning with new and fresh thoughts. And i guess you're right that i am rushing things a little bit. it's just that i'm so excited about wingsuit flights :)

For all this time since i started jumping, i couldn't decide what discipline to choose, to dedicate myself. In my 30th jump we already where going RW - 2 and 3ways without any problems. Then we went to Kolomna dropzone (Russia) for training week with proffesional instructors, with video analysis after each jump, where i made about 50 jumps in a week, and after that i had no problems going in RW 10 and more people ways. Also basic figures, 360 degree turns, etc, offered no difficulties. But RW somehow didn't excited me so much. I tried freefly a little bit, to see what is it, how hard is it. Started learning sitfly. Found out new vision perspectives it can give you comparing with RW. I liked freefly a lot. But then we got these two GTI wingsuits in our dropzone, since then my interest in wingsuit flying become in first place.

I guess i am just kind of guy who sometimes like just to fall out of plane, make unregular saltos, feel the warm air, relax, stabilize myself and open canopy. Although wingsuit jumps need more attention to opening and other important things, for now it relaxes me more than any other discipline. When i land, i can't get smile and excitement from my face for more than hour :)

I am definately looking some wingsuit festivals for nearest dropzones. Month ago i was planning to go to Kolomna dropzone again, but since passion in wingsuits and money resources are limited as for all of us, i changed my mind, and looking for spending this money for some wingsuit boogie.

mccordia where did you heared about Estonia wingsuit festival? tried to search for info, but without results.

Thanks again.

mccordia where did you heared about Estonia wingsuit festival? tried to search for info, but without results.

Thanks again.

http://www.parasummer.com/2005/
(which is the site from last year)

But just read that the 2006 festival is cancelled[:/]

But it might be a nice idea to contact the dz and see if there are any birds there that want to set up a small wingsuit meet with you sometime this summer...

*edit*
I see on the website that Toomas Talts is a Birdman Instructor that is on the dropzone...

Try contacting him maybe, see if anything bird-like is happening this summer...

http://www.skydive.ee/?op=body&id=107
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Also look into Estonia, there's a few wingsuit festivals there in summer, and some good flyers that could definately help you developing new skills

Wingsuit festivals? Here? In July there was going to be ParaSummer 2006 but that got cancelled :( If we get a plane, then there will be something during that week. We'll see. If you want to fly with us, you are welcome.
lego

The thing is i can't always fly 2-way, because of no partner, so i better practise alone something new, not just fly straight.

The problem is you're going to get into some wicked flatspins when you start to try new things and you probably don't yet have the skill to get out of them quickly. Flying a lot on your belly in a wingsuit first will help you develop the feel you need to twist out of a spin quickly.