OmarPR

team O zone website - testers needed

Hey flockers

Like Team Fly Like Brick, team O zone has a website also. But it's not public yet. We need a few (3 or 4) people to check it out and test it. Since it's on a personal test server I cannot make the address public due to bandwidth restrictions. If you are interested (and serious and not just curious) let me know here and I will PM you the address. Testers, PLEASE DO NOT pass on the address information.

About the site so far:

I'm aware of a couple of spelling errors I have to fix. Pretty much I mainly need some feedback on any potential issues in the video sections. You need a fast connection, but I think I may have to tweak the streaming a little. The e-mail addresses in the 'about' section are not up yet. The text field boxes in the 'contact' section is not working since the site is on a personal test server pc with no cgi support. Same goes with the 'forums' section since there is no php support. Once the site is up on a real web server all these little issues should be "automatically" fixed. Please let me know of any broken or misdirected links (if any) and the overall feel (navigation) and look as well. The website is about 65% to 70% finished. Thanks.

OH.Yeah, I almost forgot. Any sponsorship is welcome.;)

WINGSUIT ACROBATICS team O zone
ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

I came across the site (at least I assume it's the new site) the other day (thanks for linking to mine :)
Of course the flash menus will turn some people away, but they'll need flash to see the videos anyway, right? The videos work great for me.

Sorry for breaking in without permission though! :)
Dave

Hey Dave

You are right. I'm so used to working on hi-res monitors (1024x768 and up, currently 1800 x 1440) that some times I forget to consider low-res monitors. I will fix it when I get some time. I did keep the width in mind but not the height. What is your screen resolution? With pages that are graphic intensive, they often need to be fixed width (see all the other links in the 'links' section).
I normally use flash elements in a page only as enhancements and try not to overuse it to keep somewhat of a balance. Why do you think the flash menus will turn some people away? Is it because they will need the plugin? Too 'flashy'?
I'm glad the videos worked well. That was my main concern. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

OK. I guess I should point out some specs:

1- fast connection needed (especially for videos)
2- 1024x768 and higher resolution recommended
3- 800x600 and lower resolution NOT recommended

PS
Here is a screenshot.

ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

OK I reworked the height. How is this one?
I use flash menus because I can bundle graphics (header) with the navigation buttons together and recycle and reuse these with very little re-work. Usually, I use very little or no animation in my menus and you could barely tell it's flash unless you right click on them.

I know that a lot of people on the web commit "flash abuse", so I can understand how flash could be "evil". But how is it evil and pointless when they are done in a way that you could barely tell the difference between a flash and an html version? Just curious.

Thanks for your opinion Bob.:)

ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

It's looking very cool Omar. I see it has become quite a site. Nice. I also see you guys have quite a number of acrobatic moves already up. Maybe we should exchange notes. We've been working on a number of acrobatic moves as well, and I'm curious to hear what some of them are.

As for design elements, I prefer CSS to Flash, although with Internet Explorer not being very standards compliant this can often be a pain. If you send me the URL I'll take a look at it.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Keep in mind the ActiveX issue with IE and JS. Next month, Microsoft is flipping the switch (I already installed the patch). Users have to click on a flash menu to "Activate" it, then they can do whatever.

To get around it, use a javascript function that replaces the innerHTML of a div with the needed flash (document.write does not work).

The line 'the first earobatic wingsuit team' on your main page should maybe be changed into 'the first american earobatic wingsuits team':P

Dont forget there's people playing in other countries as well..

Loic and his soulflyers sound like a real team, and they've been playing for a long time already..
I also seem to remember some norgies (in matching red S1/GTi's if I remember correctly) that where already doing some cool and funky team based flying a few years ago..

But the page is awesome...cant wait to see your tips & tricks database grow..

If you guys are ever in the EU..drop by..we'll give you a place to stay, and we can slice through the skies and have our own aerobatic mini-boogie :P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Agreed. Hans Bergren and that team were doing very technical stuff in original Skyflyers at least five years ago (and on video).

Still, Omar is definitely taking it to a new level with some of his moves.

No doubt there...he's got a solid fanbase here B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm no flash expert... your site works fine for me from work, but for example I can't even enter the perris valley dropzone website because I don't have the right version of flash installed. That's a huge no-no for a business. If you use flash menus, you should probably have an html alternative for those that can't use flash, but then again it's not a business website so who really cares?

I like flash when it's done well. I like your menus. But lots of people just don't like flash... I think it's because its cool to hate flash. Not really sure.

I'm running 1024x768 at work, but I never have my browser window maximized, so I tend to prefer "shorter" page headers so i dont have to scroll down every time i open a page. The width is fine.

Dave

Hey guys

First of all thanks to everyone for all your feedback. It was really helpful.

Costyn, Jarno and Dave G:

You dudes are pretty damn cool cats (or birds, whatever). You have been very helpful. I really appreciate it. Jarno, thanks for the invite. If you guys ever swoop the pond this way, same goes here. Costyn, if you still don't have the URL Jarno has it, or let me know.

Dave (bob) and Ian: Nice to 'meet' you. Ian I may need to contact you later (thanks for the tip).

Chuck and Jarno:

Thanks for inflating my head ...(place joke here).
Chuck, check your PM. I sent you the URL.

Matt, Mark and Jarno:

You 3 stooges cracked me up. Thanks for your "contribution".

All the people that PM'd / e-mailed me (a lot more than people who actually posted here):

Thanks for your responses and your willingness to help. Unfortunately, I only needed a handful of people to check the site. But it will be up as soon as it's all finished (or very, very closed to it). Sorry for not replying to most of you guys, but there were too many and I'm too lazy/busy.

Now time for my 'puke front' (that's Mexican / or PuertoRican for 'opposite of feedback'. Matt knows what I'm talking about):

1- Jarno, I re-worked the sub-menus. Now they stay.

2- I'm sorry for the "flash haters", but I am not about to please a few Microsoft IE users that are too lazy to tackle the daunting task of one simple mouse click. There are other browsers out there (no need for conformity). I have been using firefox for awhile with no problems, although I must admit I do use IE for testing, to make sure users of the sacred MS IE can see the sites fine. Besides, like Dave said, this is not a business site. We are not asking people to "please visit our site so we can sell you stuff". This website offers education, entertainment and information, which are free . If someone doesn't want to enjoy that, simply because there is flash in it, so be it. Remember we are offering something, not selling.

3- Costyn, we should definitely exchange notes on the acrobatic moves. That's what is all about, to spread the knowledge.
I need to brush up on the CSS stuff. BTW

4- The line 'the first aerobatic wingsuit team': I agree. SoulFlyers is a team and the do some cool wingsuit acrobatic moves. They have been a source of inspiration for me since before I even thought of doing my first wingsuit flight. (As a matter of fact we tried to contact Loic via e-mail some time ago, to discuss some of the acrobatic stuff, but he never replied.) However, I don't consider them a purely 'acrobatic wingsuit team'. IMO I think they are more a group of friends that each specialize in a different discipline or even a different sport, which they combine to have fun and make cool videos. Sorry, but I never heard of Hans Bergren and the Norgies were they an acrobatic team? If so, what kind of stuff were they doing? Are they still around? Where is the video? I searched but I couldn't find it. I think we might keep our self-proclaimed title in spite of any "controversy" it may cause. I like the idea of being the "first" at anything anyways. Maybe it is because we are used to having several "firsts' under our belts at Z-Hills with Z-Flock.

5- The 'Tips & Tricks' section is not just a data base. Every trick listed there will be linked to specific instructions to that trick, illustrated with video and/or 3d graphics ;) ;).

Again, thank you all for your help.

ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

Much better. Myself, I'd go a tiny bit smaller still, but that's just personal taste.

I know that a lot of people on the web commit "flash abuse", so I can understand how flash could be "evil". But how is it evil and pointless when they are done in a way that you could barely tell the difference between a flash and an html version? Just curious.

Two reasons:
  • I can't CTRL+click to open the link in a new tab.

• Because I can't tell where the link goes without following it.

I run with a lot of tabs open, and not being able to pop a specific page open in a new one drives me nuts. I know html is a little more work, but it makes for a significantly more pleasant browsing experience.

Two reasons:

• I can't CTRL+click to open the link in a new tab.

• Because I can't tell where the link goes without following it.

I run with a lot of tabs open, and not being able to pop a specific page open in a new one drives me nuts. I know html is a little more work, but it makes for a significantly more pleasant browsing experience.

I use tabs extensively as well in my daily browsing. Flash menu's are annoying for the reasons Bob listed. You can make the menus you have on your site fairly easily with CSS, as shown here (article here)
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News