RkyMtnHigh

Prodigy Learning Curve

Those of you who jump Prodigys ..please share your learning curve experiences with me. How many jumps did you take to get your exit solid? (what did you improve?)...What did you do to make your flying nice and stable and stop potato chipping? What did you do to recover from a head down exit or opening? seriously...share it all with me...I am diving in head FIRST with my prodigy and want to learn from you and my personal mistakes.

haven't jumped a prodigy, but i think most any experience on a new ws is fairly relevant to your question. The hard part is that every suit i've flown - even of the same make - flys a bit different since they are generally customized for the orderer of the suit... so they all fit a little different. Then again there's the pilot. I guess i'm basically saything there are a bunch of variables.

What plane are you having trouble with? and Otter or any side door plane? how or when are you going out in a flock (solo, 1, second, third....? )

Personally, I've felt that I could hone in a suit fairly well within 10 jumps from the same aircraft. If there is a flock of 3 or more that are really trying to stay together, then sometimes I can hone it in better. Those people who fly together can more easily adapt and become better flyers due to a similar reference point. At least for as long as there is an experience flyer w/ you.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I did a handful of Prodigy jumps at the MOAB boogie...

It was a great prep for the Phantom which I purchased...

I can't say much about the exits because I was exiting a skyvan, and it was easy - and fun to watch flying on level with the plane...

My learning curve on flight plan was the biggest curve, as I realized I had flown the entire length of the landing area before thinking, "where do I go from here, I turned too soon.":)
I found the potato chipping came from being nervous - and it went away after the first flight when I knew I could actually save my life at the end of it...

My biggest learning curve early on was leg awareness, spreading the legs to inflate that wing....

Have fun!!!

Hello!

Have you jumped tracking pantz? I've jumped pantz, and the "pressurized" setup. Almost 300 jumps now. Felt a bit like the pressurized setup. Did my first prodegy jumps from a pac 750. Low door, wing "under the door" and low tailfin(Designed for skydiving?). Both exits stabel with wings colapsed, spread them and off you go!! My protrack stopped logging after 30 sec, when vertical speed was to low B|. Use slow mode. Pulled at around 5500, do a nice and stabel pull.

As scared as on my first student jumps, but it was great fun. Can't wait to fly it again.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Haven't jumped a prodigy so this is general wingsuit advice. If you're diving, you're using your legs but not your armwings. Usually people try too hard and thereby close the wings. Try leaving room for the armwing to inflate. Roll your shoulders forward, elbows slightly out, don't pull the wing taut. Enjoy.

;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I found the potato chipping came from being nervous - and it went away after the first flight when I knew I could actually save my life at the end of it...

My biggest learning curve early on was leg awareness, spreading the legs to inflate that wing....

This bears repeating. Also, you need to be very cognizant of your legs at pull time. REALLY make sure you are arching and that your leg wing is fully collapsed at pull time. If your legs are apart and you are not arching, then you will be head-down at pull time.

Exits? Side doors are a simple poise. If you are blowing exits launching from inside the plane, then just rotate outside like any other floater exit. Arch into the wind and watch the plane fly away. Tailgate? Poise off backwards to start, fully flate while arching into the blast and watch the plane.

I've found the Prodigy to be very intuitive to fly. It may be that I had about 150 jumps on a Skyflyer 1 before I switched to it, but it seems super stable to me. I just make sure I have the leg wing in tension and have a slight de-arch and I've yet to encounter any issues at all. If you're head down, the leg wing is going to make it harder to get back flat if you keep it open. Usually, I just close the leg a bit and de arch a little more, seemed to work fine for me in the SF1, and should do fine in the Prodigy. As for the exit, don't dive until you know the suit better. Just kinda hop out presenting your chest to the relative wind, transition should be easy. I've run into the head down on deployment once, but that's because I got lazy and didn't really arch... or close the leg wind that much. As long as you've got your legs together and a little arch going on, it should be ok.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Well I think some of the best advice I have ever received is to JUMP! Don't overthink it, just get that puppy in the air chicka!

Don't be afraid of solos, the flocks will come with time and patience :P

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

Well I think some of the best advice I have ever received is to JUMP! Don't overthink it, just get that puppy in the air chicka!

Don't be afraid of solos, the flocks will come with time and patience :P

Matt and Mark went with me on the jump out of the skyvan last Sunday at Sebastian.