dragon2

cutaway loops on S3S?

I just got a demo S3S, but not sure how to attach the cables. Forgot to take a photo, hangar is closed right now, but I drew a picture. It seems to me I'm missing a keeper to secure the bottom end of the cutaway tab? But there doesn't appear to be room for any because of the zipper. Does this look correct or what? I'm afraid it'll slip...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm also quite happy with mine.
Never had any problems with loops coming out or anything, and I like the lack of velcro...

But I've also seen people that managed to get one out on almost every move they made...
But when I started, I needed to get my cables back in before every jump cause I somehow kept roding them out of the loops (probably also by moving a bit in the plane..)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I much prefer the S3-S system to both the PHI's and the origional Birdman cutaway design.

Meh... I don't really like the S3S system. The velcro at least stays in place in the original design. When I'm not wearing it, the top stiffner stays nicely underneath the tabs, but when I have the suit on, the tabs are spaced a lot wider and the stiffner sort of hangs out. Sure, it stays in place but it just looks messy and unreliable.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I much prefer the S3-S system to both the PHI's and the origional Birdman cutaway design.

Meh... I don't really like the S3S system. The velcro at least stays in place in the original design. When I'm not wearing it, the top stiffner stays nicely underneath the tabs, but when I have the suit on, the tabs are spaced a lot wider and the stiffner sort of hangs out. Sure, it stays in place but it just looks messy and unreliable.

Cheers,

Costyn.

Yea..I saw that in the airplane....but check mine next time we jump...It really seems to differ from person to person.

You could ofcource just take the bottom tab off, and just sew a small piece of velcro on there....that would just make it your old trusty system again...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yea..I saw that in the airplane....but check mine next time we jump...It really seems to differ from person to person.

You could ofcource just take the bottom tab off, and just sew a small piece of velcro on there....that would just make it your old trusty system again...

Yeah, my suit is a pretty tight fit (I need to lose some kilo's :$), I think that's a part of the reason the tabs get spread out wider.

I'm thinking if there was a piece of elastic webbing to put the top stiffner in just like there is for the bottom stiffner it would work a lot better. It would be stowed similarly to many toggle designs on risers. I'll check tonight if I can make this mod. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers,

Costyn.

Now it looks like this. I started out that way but the loop seems too long or the keeper should be lower... Is this how it's supposed to look?

Hmmm, looks like the wrong handles? I will take a pics of mine tomorrow for you.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Now it looks like this. I started out that way but the loop seems too long or the keeper should be lower... Is this how it's supposed to look?

Hmmm... they do look a little long, but otherwise that is how they are supposed to be hooked up yeah.

Here's a shot of mine: http://airlabs.octanox.net/images/DSC00306.JPG

Ok, never mind my earlier picture. I didn't have it fully hooked up. When I lace them all the way up, the yellow cables are too long and the loops look exactly like yours, Saskia. I've tried sliding the cables into the loop but that doesn't help either. Perhaps ours are just too long?

I guess I can shorten them. What is a good way to do this? Pliers and a lighter?

Thats a good place for the " wing-keeping" snap we see in Saskia's pic but yours doesn't have it Costyn. If I were to add one, like I've done to all of my previous BM suits, thats the place for it.

Indeed the snaps for the booties have been on my wish list since I got the suit, but I keep forgetting to go to the store and get some. :( Some of the earlier production models of the S3S did not have them, but apparently later ones do (as is seen in Saskia's picture). And yes, that is where i'll be placing them. :)
So, anyone have any advice, tips, suggestions on shortening the yellow cables? Do's and don'ts? I don't want to mess up and have to get them replaced (cause I made 'em too short or whatever).

Cheers,

Costyn.

Costyn, unless they are grossly too long I do not recommend you cut them. Most who cut their cables regret it later as they end up being just a tad too short afterwards and they find their suit unlacing in the aircraft when they sit down or move around.If you feel they are a tad too long do what I do and leave the excess sticking out the top. It makes it easy to check your cables when you stand up and do your handles/BOC checks prior to moving to the door.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Costyn, unless they are grossly too long I do not recommend you cut them. Most who cut their cables regret it later as they end up being just a tad too short afterwards and they find their suit unlacing in the aircraft when they sit down or move around.If you feel they are a tad too long do what I do and leave the excess sticking out the top. It makes it easy to check your cables when you stand up and do your handles/BOC checks prior to moving to the door.

Scott, thanks for the advice. :)
In the second picture is the tab when I'm standing up. I can put the tab flat against my leg, but when I move around it jumps back out. This demonstrates what I don't like with the design. Oh well, they haven't come loose yet.

Cheers,

Costyn.

OK, yours do appear to be a bit on the long side. If you decide to cut them use a good pair of wire snips. Don't cut it even with the excess stowage sleeve but slightly above it. This allows you to maintain a little play in the system for when you sit down or move around. Cut it flush and then use a lighter to warm up the plastic just to the point where it's malable. Using your fingers pull the plastic over the exposed metal cable so that it is no longer exposed and allow to cool.

As for the handles sticking out, mine had the same issues until the cables and the material were broken in a little. I've never had a problem with them popping out but I always check my wing cutaway handles when I stand up along with my other handle checks. They most often bulge out when your sitting or moving around, otherwise they lay flat.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My cables asren´t too long, they´re slightly too short really. I did 2 jumps with the s3s today, love the suit but hate the handles. In the plane they work themselves loose, and that´s sitting still on a bench in a twinotter. I´m not gonna like our more ¨active¨ grand caravan...

I saw another guy with an s3s he just put a bit of velcro on his.

ciel bleu,
Saskia