bert_man

bridle length & pilot chute size

I recently got my hands on a new phi suit and I really like it. My openings, however, suck. One of them even dislodged my reserver handle, somehow, and it was banging into my chest after deployment.

I've managed to slow them down, and rotate myself after pitching to minimize the whiplash effect during opening. The problem now is line twists. I usually get 5-7 twists. I'm jumping a sabre 170 loaded at 1.4, so line twists for me rarely result in a spinner or anything, as I typically make sure that my risers are even.

I think the twists could be due (in part) to my gear. I have an 8' bridle and (i think) 24" PC. I've been told that it is highly recommended that at least a 9' bridle is used. Could this be the cause?

I have been packing the dbag without rotating it forward, keeping the gromet facing up to try to reduce the chances of the bag catching a corner of the main tray.

For the record, I've put 8 jumps on it so far, and before that I had one jump on a prodigy (got a sh'load of line twists on that opening too, but one wing disconnected when I pitched, so the fact that I did a 180 during deployment might have been a factor ;))
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

It's vital that you concentrate on having your shoulders completely level with he horizon all through the collapse, pitch and deployment sequence. This includes as you come in for the pull and grasp your hackey. Do not pitch it until you are watching the horizon and are 101% sure you are level. Then pitch and keep watching horizon. Stay level - concentrate on it! Don't relax until you are completely deployed.

Bingo! Twist problem cured.

Incidentally, although a longer bridle will probably help, your length at present should not be a cause of so many twists so often. Packing grommet to grommet will definately help, though, as the bag will not have to go through so much of a rotation before leaving the pack tray.

Blue Skies,

fergs

I never thought about looking at the horizon to stay level. Great tip, I'll definitely try that next time.

I also find myself kicking my legs forward a bit after pitching to saddle myself into the harness right before/during deployment to soften the whiplash effect. Is this a good practice when done properly, or am I just being a pussy?:)

Everything Fergs said works, and should be done on every jump.
Sensible gear, like your Sabre (square) help you deal with consequence. I think 24 inch is tiny for a PC. Any PC. But maybe that's just me. I prefer F-111 to ZP, around 30 inch, with minimal weight on the apex (Many hacky's are BAD, some OK. PVC pipe GOOD, some freefly handles OK.) I like my longer bridles. Mine are around 120 inch.

Having said all that - read Fergs post again.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I also find myself kicking my legs forward a bit after pitching to saddle myself into the harness right before/during deployment to soften the whiplash effect.

During your deployment sequence, close your legwing first, actually touching your kneebones and feet together, followed by collapsing your armwing. Hold this for 1-2 seconds (sink out), then toss. KEEP your kneebones and feet touching until you are fully open. This should minimize whiplash.

There are other ways, but that's the most basic. I don't know about "kicking your legs forward" after the pitch, but what I do is, if I'm flying really fast forward before the pitch, which I usually am, I arch really hard and look up, exposing my chest and armwings in the forward direction which puts on the forward brake and almost stalls the suit. Then I can toss pretty quickly from that position (still keeping legwing fully shut). This method simply makes it so I don't have to wait for a couple seconds in the sink out position described above. If this doesn't make any sense stick with the first method I described.

I can't deal with whip because of my back, and I get zero with both of those methods. My WS openings are SOFTER than my freefall openings.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Legs closed, hips forward, arm wings closed. I've found sticking my elbows out just a little helps with keeping level with the horizon. I usually put my hands back to the pull position after deploying my pilot chute. The elbows allow a little freefall imput and haven't caused any pilot chutes hesitation for me.

My worst openings always seem to be when I get lazy and don't get my hips forward. Twice I've had my chin stuck to my chest and my legs kicking that way.

Oh what fun:D

As far as pilot chute handles, I'm with Tonto. I have a small wiffle ball handle that is extremely light but is easy to get at.

(edit: that wiffle ball thing)

I agree that with the proper body position and picking up enough vertical speed to make any standard bridle/PC work. if you want to deploy in full flight... I have made myself a custom setup on my 7-cell with the bridle being 9ft from pin to PC and a 33 inch ZP PC with a plastic handle. make sure the handle is attached lengthwise and not just in the center. with a bridle that long and a PC so big getting your bridle wrapped around the handle is possible with ordinary hackeys. I get no hesitation at all with this setup and burn about 300ft from reaching to full canopy :). I have done some 40 second hop and pops from 3500 with this... get someone to video it from the plane and hear the people scream becuse they think you are about to go in, LOL...

I have done some 40 second hop and pops from 3500 with this... get someone to video it from the plane and hear the people scream becuse they think you are about to go in, LOL...

holy shit, what suit do you fly? And how high do you open?
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

My openings, however, suck. One of them even dislodged my reserver handle,

To me, this sound like you could also just need to rig your wings up 1 tab higher. When your wing is almost swallowing your handles and pushing against them, a hard opening probably could bang one handle out of its pocket..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?