alanab

what to do with my new rig?

my new infinity just came in from velocity. my question is: once my riggger puts my canopies and cypres in it, is there anything "special" i should do to it? i have heard of scotch guarding it. do you reccommend this. what else should it do? any suggestions are welcome!

There are a few good threads on Scotch Guarding here.

I put three coats on my new Odyssey using red cap Scotch Guard, following the manufacturer's recommendations.

I kept shaking the can during the application to prevent clotting (which will stain the rig), and let the rig dry overnight after each coat.

It has served me well!

B|
Arrive Safely

John

If you want to Scotch Guard it, apply it before your rigger puts the canopies in it.

Clean the cutaway cables with Ace Pure Silicone Lubricant.

Write down the S/N's of everything.

Make a note of when your Cypres batteries and maintenance are due.

Make a note of when your reserve re-pack is due.

Derek

If you want to Scotch Guard it, apply it before your rigger puts the canopies in it.

Is there a problem with Scotch Guard and canopy nylon or something else (lines)?

I can see how applying it before it is assembled would allow you to more completely spray it on the entire rig.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Is there a problem with Scotch Guard and canopy nylon or something else (lines)?

My concern about Scotch Guarding a packed rig is if the chemical seeps through the container material and the fre-bag into the reserve fabric. I don't know what would happen to a Scotch Guard soaked reserve and I don't want to find out. It isn't likely, but not a chance I'm willing to take.

Derek

any suggestions now that it's all put together before i had a chance to do anything to it?

Don't fall down:P. You can still Scotch Guard the leg straps and mud flaps. You can wait until it gets dirty and have your rigger dis-assemble and wash it and then Scotch Guard it before re-assembly/re-pack.

Derek

Well, due to this thread and having my new container assembled right about now, i asked my rigger what to do. He said he wouldn't really worry as Scotch guard is not an aggressive substance, and you will not _soak_ your rig and only need to apply it (if wanted at all) to the exposed parts. So applying one or two thin coats over the outside of the rig will be enough and won't hurt the container.

He thought it was an ok idea and put the scotchguard right on my bill...:S:P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

There are a few good threads on Scotch Guarding here.

I put three coats on my new Odyssey using red cap Scotch Guard, following the manufacturer's recommendations.

I kept shaking the can during the application to prevent clotting (which will stain the rig), and let the rig dry overnight after each coat.

It has served me well!

B|

Do you have an idea where I can get a can of Scotch Guard? I also assume only one can is sufficient to do the job. Any idea of the price?

Thanks.

;)

Yves.

Your local grocery store or Wal-Mart equivalent should have it.

As for how much, I've ScotchGuard'ed my rig three times (once when new, and twice after washings) and I still have about half a can left.

The key is light, even coats. Also, let the rig dry completely between coats. You don't have to go nuts on the entire thing, just get the areas that are normally exposed.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

any idea of what kind of scotch guard to use? i know there are at least 5 kinds out there!

I talked to folks at RWS, Sunpath, and Jumpshack yesterday. All three manufacturers say that it is fine to use scotchgard on the rigs.

two of those manufacturers i talked to said to use the scotchgard for outdoors (in the green can).

hope this helps...
arlo

i read the red one should be ok, i guess it's the "general", but outdoor should do the trick too.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

any idea of what kind of scotch guard to use? i know there are at least 5 kinds out there!

I talked to folks at RWS, Sunpath, and Jumpshack yesterday. All three manufacturers say that it is fine to use scotchgard on the rigs.

two of those manufacturers i talked to said to use the scotchgard for outdoors (in the green can).

hope this helps...
arlo

Thanks Arlo.

I'll look for the green Scotch Guard can, at my Wal-Mart store.

;)

Yves.

did they say anything about whether i could do it with the rig assembled or not?

you could, but just don't saturate it. maybe a light 'dusting' of the spray. the only company that said 'no' was a canopy manufacturer and their focus is strictly on the canopies.

it's really not that big a deal unless you consistently do something to get it dirty.

if you wanna really hose it down, wait 'til your next repack and have your rigger do it. i'm sure you'll at least have to pay for the scotchgard.

scotchgard is one of those "nice to have" but not "need to have" things. just land on your feet. :P

hope this helps. if not, PM me. :)

arlo