whatever

Phoenix Fly Tracking Pants & Jacket flocking with GTi and S3

We did 3 flocking jumps this weekend with GTi's, an S3 and a Phoenix Fly tracking pants and jacket combo, making turns flying the PF stuff.

I have just over 100 jumps on my S3 now (I have 15 also on Classics and GTi's), I'm 6'0" and around 168 lbs, the PF pants and jacket were both XL, which is about right for my limb length but very baggy.

It's about my 8th jump on a PF pants & jacket combo.

on the jump with the longest delay (which I'm pretty sure we covered the most ground on too) I was flying the PF pants & jacket and got these numbers from my Suunto X6 HRM:

exit: 14239 ft
deployment: 4026 ft
delay: 92 seconds

my Protrack read something like
exit: 14200 ft
deployment: 3100 ft
avg: 77 mph
delay: 108 sec

but after downloading the data to Jumptrack it's obvious that there's a large error at the deployment side and I find the Suunto numbers more accurately reflect my experience of the jump.

now that the stats are done with, the point is, these suits KICK ASS!!!

check out the video if you wanna see:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2336

cheers
sam

soon to be gone

Taz, my GF, and I did a few flocks with dudes in PF tracking suits in Eloy early this year.

Forward speed was close to my S3 and her Gti, but this is also true of
Birdman Pantz.

We got a few docks in and then took off from there.

Wingsuits can flock with anything. I've taken mine to flock with trackers in 4 way suits. I just LOVE the lift I get when I'm tired of playing with them!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Taz, my GF, and I did a few flocks with dudes in PF tracking suits in Eloy early this year.

yeah, I know, being one of those dudes was fun! B|

that time I was flying the Large size though

this time I flew the Extra Large and I think I might be starting to get some idea how to fly the pants and jacket, as time it flew better than some wingsuit flocks I've been in....

just have a close look at how much of the S3's (my red and white one with my buddy in it) wings are not collapsed :D

see you around
sam

soon to be gone

I think that some people can track, and some people can't.

I know the difference between these two groups is huge.

I think that a 4 way suit with booties, long T and Birdman Pantz, PF
Tracking suit all have comparable forward speeds. I think that the PF Tracking suit will accelerate to that speed fastest, then the pantz, then the 4 way suit.

I think the 4 way suit will fall fastest vertically, then the pantz, then the PF suit. This means that with the longer timeframe the 4 way suit will cover the least distance, then the Pantz, then the PF suit.

Wingsuits flying with the above three are a different story. A classic, GTI or S3 "flying" with a 4 way suit has no wing out. Nothing. They're equal. Putting more wing out simply slows the vertical speed and allows us to steepen the hill we fly down.

Wingsuits among wingsuits... huge variables among the skills of the pilots, thicker VS thinner wing profiles, different wing loadings, some suits like the Vampire having attacked the parasitic drag problem, others like the Sugarglider going for lower forward speeds, and so lower drag, and potentially extending their glide in the same way a bit of brake does vs full glide works under canopy. Aerodynamic drag is exponential. Best glide speed in an aircraft is never near VNE.

All I know is that I love to fly, and I try and do better on each dive I do, and when I'm not jumping, I'm usually thinking about it quite a bit.

t

I think that a 4 way suit with booties, long T and Birdman Pantz, PF
Tracking suit all have comparable forward speeds.

sorry t

I have to disagree with that pretty strongly.

I've never flown Birdman Pantz, but I've spent some jumps tracking in RW suits, streetclothes and combinations thereof.

I consider myself an average tracker and maybe a slightly-better-than-average wingsuit pilot on a S3.

there is no way that any form of bootie RW suit can match the PF tracking pants and jacket for forward speed on the jump we did on Sunday

three wingsuits exited the Otter with me in the PF pants and jacket and the forward speed was so good that it took the S3 and one GTi half the jump to catch up, since my exit was good

the other GTi, flown by a BMI who snoozed on the exit, never caught up - he couldn't believe the forward speed on the PF pants and jacket!

the jacket makes a gigantic difference, as it allowed me to be able to fly the huge XL pants in a controlled manner

sorry to have to disagree with you man, but this is a world away even from my jumps on the PF suits in Eloy... ;)

cya
sam

soon to be gone

Does this mean I shouldnt mention Tim Hutchins smoked a guy wearing his PF jacket and pants, while only wearing a sweat shirt and street pants?

Be safe.
Ed

probably while tracking on his back too!

I've met Tim, I've been on a tracking dive with him and I think I have some idea of his tracking abilities.

tell me about the other guy

soon to be gone

It doesn't matter about the other guy. What I'd want is for Tim (Tim oT?) to make some tracking dives wearing pantz/PF pants/smoke pants/RWsuit/freeflypants/underpants and then give me his opinion based on his experience.

These comparisons are absolutely meaningless. I mean we've all seen the video of the two guys wearing pantz getting smoked by Atle. These comparisons prove nothing. :S

What we see this summer in Norway, France, Switzerland and Italy will prove a lot. B|

probably while tracking on his back too!

Bingo ;)

I've met Tim, I've been on a tracking dive with him and I think I have some idea of his tracking abilities.

tell me about the other guy

He has a number of jumps in the "outfit", same height but alittle heavier.

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

These comparisons are absolutely meaningless.

Exactly ;)

The proof is in the pilot.

Everyone has different skills and abilities, and to compare what performance everyone thinks they are getting from pants/jacket/wingsuit, when flying with another person, is as you say, meaningless. ;)

The true hard data will be taken from the same pilot flying each of these "outfits", in the exact same conditions and from the same GPS or other data gathering unit.

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Hi
I just bought a Neptune a couple of weeks ago and on my last PF jump only with the pants I got these numbers:
Exit altitude 12500
Opened at 2600
FF time 87 sec.
average spd 82 mph.

And the distance covered was incredibly good (this is my point of view)

I really recommend the PF suit, it´s really fun !!
Hopefully I can jump with a W/S to have a reference like yours.

Gabo

:)
No problem! I didn't say I was right. I just said that's what I think.
As others have said, and as I put in my disclaimer, some people can, and some people can't. That can screw a bunch of figures of what should be.

What others have said about the pilot being the determining factor is correct. Maybe what I said I think, would be right for me.

Doesn't really matter anyway, as long as we keep thinking, and enjoy the dives we do, right?

t