GeordieSkydiver

WS1

How long before the BPA make a WS1 and WS2 catergory?

I know there's the 250 jumps in 18 months OR 500 jumps in total rule at the moment, but with the recent changes to the Ops manual is the invention of WS regulations in the pipeline?
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

How long before the BPA make a WS1 and WS2 catergory?

I had been wondering about this, but was afraid to say it out loud....

I know there's the 250 jumps in 18 months OR 500 jumps in total rule at the moment, but with the recent changes to the Ops manual is the invention of WS regulations in the pipeline?

As far as the BPA are concerned thats just a guideline though right, not a set regulation?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

As far as the BPA are concerned thats just a guideline though right, not a set regulation

Yet.
Here's the shortcut to the BPA's "guidelines" to WS.

http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms/docs/Form%20235%20-%20Guidelines%20for%20Jumping%20Wing-Suits.rtf

I think it will happen, talking about it isn't going to give them any ideas they don't allready have.(probably):D
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

It's good that the BPA guidelines say that you can be grandfathered in after training in another country, don't know how many individual DZ's allow it though. Hehe, maybe if the BPA actually fully regulated WS, some DZ's would become more lenient on that.:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Was chatting to my CCI about the new 'entry' level WS coming such as the Access and whether the current regs would apply and to what extent. He pointed out the problem with the current regs is that 90% of the people who voted for them have never jumped a winguit and probably never will.

Infer from this what you will.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

I wonder at what point you decide you're in a "wingsuit" and not a "tracking suit"?

Tracking pants are probably not a wingsuit. What about tracking pants and jacket? What about a prodigy, which is essentially a 2 piece tracking suit with wings that still allows you to grab the risers at opening?

The lines start to look blurry, I think.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

At 200 jumps you can wear a camera suit, is that not wing suit?

Know where you're going... but they're not really. It's more (IMHO) to do with differences in deployment and, very importantly, ability to navigate. You don't have either problem with a camera suit, although they can make certain situations rather exciting I suppose!

The latter point is interesting since as some of these tracking suits have got so good, you can really cover some ground! With that in mind, you could form an argument against those who have not been briefed in their use. Similarly, 250/500 jump requirements are surely too excessive for the "Access" type of wingsuits, in which the flyer just lets go of the wings for deployment.

Anyway, AFAIK, the BPA guidelines were written by Andy Ford and Craig Poxon, both of whom should know quite a bit about wingsuits! Who cares who voted on them?! :P

Just more food for thought...
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

We held an impromptu w/s seminar at weston this weekend as the winds were gusting 28's and the topic of mini suits, half suits with grab wings came up, as tom puts it at the end of his post, the lines become blurred...

If you want to wingsuit then get the jumps in and get trained, it's not just the flying of the suit but the experience and awareness for the bigger picture needed that only comes with jump numbers.

The BPA have adopted guidelines that were plagiarised from the uspa s.i.m manual & proof read by a couple of experienced w/s flyers. Many CCi's are still uncomfortable with W/S as a discipline and that's why the guidelines were sent in to help them before they said no altogether.

Rocking up to your local DZ with a mini winglet suit or the like you will most probably be directed straight to the local BMI who is unlikely to go against the guidelines.

Another happy 1st time wingsuit flyer this weekend, mike hayes grinning from ear to ear in flight, and to think he flies Jags all week and w/s gives him a buzz...

Fordy
Fordy

If you want to wingsuit then get the jumps in and get trained, it's not just the flying of the suit but the experience and awareness for the bigger picture needed that only comes with jump numbers.

I concur 100% ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com