Jspresso

GTI WING GRIPS?

I tried a search and did'nt find any specific info. I would appreciate it if any of you who have added wing grips or extensions to your GTI to post some pics, or a good explanation of what has worked best. This mod will have to satisfy me untill I can afford an S3.
Thanks all,
James

Gripping the wing tip on the GTi (in my experience)
doesn't improve glide or FF times in the slightest.
The wing was made to fly without being gripped, and distorting it will kill performance.
Others may disagree, but I've GPS'd enough flights to know it does nothing (for me)

IMO focus more on forward speed to get the most out of that suit. ( and fly it a lot )
I fly it at 1.8 GR in no wind.
Jim

Here is a rough sketch of something we have been adding to a few of our local flocks suits.
And I might add, with increased in performance in flocking controlibilty from what I have seen. ;)

Keeping it safe!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

There is a fantastic young lady from zuit-suit who added wing grippers to my pre production S-3 in twenty minutes while I waited. You can use anything , just about , for gripper internals ( we used a few inches of nylon rope from the bird-man tent @ rantoul) and wrap them in cordura.

The GTI may not have the trailing edge span to do it but Ed has proposed an Idea. The question "is your fantastic seamster / rigger as fantastic as our fantastic zuit-suit seamstress?

How do people grip the gripper? Is there a "preferred" way of holding one?

I tend to use my hands, they seem most adapted to the task;)...

Generally pick up out of the door, or you can exit with grippers, though if the gripper is thin can slip out slowly in some manouveres. First time you start using grippers the angle between your wrist and you hand will dictate how much you feel the burn. The great the angle the more work you'll have to do keep the gripper tension constant. You'll disciver muscles that you did not know existed near the wrist.

Controllability in flocking maybe improved, but need to be able to flock without grips if you want to take docks for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I had wing tip grippers installed on my old GTI and I know there are pics of it floating around here somewhere. It's a fairly easy mod that can be done by a rigger in about an hour. Mine had a piece of cable similar to the one used to lace the wings up approx 4-6 inches long. That cable was sewn into it's own piece of nylon edging material and then it was sewn onto the backside of the wing, along the seam. I basically hooked the cable with my fingertips. Make no mistake, it does work.Everyone I have recommended the mod to notices a performance difference.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Most of the time I only keep a slight pull on them to keep the wings trailing edge in tension, nothing heavy duty. I use a little more tension on the grippers when back flying.

Some people play with them as actual control surfaces, but I don't do much of that .

You can see in Ed's pics that during regular flight the wings stay inflated and formed, less gripper tension is needed. In fact you don't have hold the grippers but they really help for maxing it out.
The lack of Ram air for proper wing inflation during back flying requires more pull and the wing still isn't inflated.

Do the extensions get in the way at pull time when reaching back for the pilot chute?

No, these extention do not get in the way during your pull.

We have been testing them for sometime and never had anyone have problems. :)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com