KrisFlyZ

New S-Fly

I received the S-Fly after struggling with customs and paying $200 to customs. That makes the total suit cost $1050.00. I will try to post pictures later this evening.

All S-Fly suits are twin color designs, one color for the front , one color for the back. The model I purchased is the ProRace(Orange front, Gray Back). The suit ships in a bag that is the same color as the suit. The bag is made of very sturdy Nylon type material.

The suit is also made of a material that is much more sturdy than ZP. The orange in this model looks like the orange on a new windsock(kinda pink) so my recommendation is to stick with one of the other models.

It seems like the suit has less arm wing than the SF3 but the leg wing seems like it is the same size. I will fly it this weekend and should be able to post some numbers and comparision it to the SF3/GTI.

have mucho fun with your suit.

the main changes compared to the first suit are :
-new fabric (thicker)
-leg zips on the outside of the leg intead of outside
-"magnet clips" to hold the legs up while not wearing them (to walk, under canopy...)
-stitching is doubled and with the fabric folded and stitched again

if it is your first time with one of these "single surface" suits, you might find the flight is a bit slippery as the body doesn't act as a fuselage like on BM suits. But the body can shift inside the suit which brings you to use different flight techniques.

and look out, Loic is/should soon be in the US... Been reported to visit Eloy and Florida at least... So if you manage to go fly with him, it's a great experience...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The suit is also made of a material that is much more sturdy than ZP.

Maybe you should understand the definition of "ZP". It means Zero Porosity (doesn't bleed air). Every Wingsuit, including I've seen, including the S-Fly, has been made from a form or Zero Porosity material. "ZP" comes in probably a 100 different types and configurations not to mention colors.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Maybe you should understand the definition of "ZP". It means Zero Porosity (doesn't bleed air). Every Wingsuit, including I've seen, including the S-Fly, has been made from a form or Zero Porosity material. "ZP" comes in probably a 100 different types and configurations not to mention colors.

I know what "ZP" means.

The ZP material that the S-Fly is made of seems like it is more sturdy than every other type of ZP material that I have come across.

U happy now? :D

The ZP material that the S-Fly is made of seems like it is more sturdy than every other type of ZP material that I have come across.

How is it sturdier? Is it stiffer? A stiffer material ought to flap less, and hence experience less drag and more efficient flight. It's like those sails you see that are practically made of a sheet of plastic.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The material is stiffer and thicker and has a plastic like feel and yet it is made of nylon. I will try and get a pic of the inside of the leg wing, the ribs are made of what looks like the ZP nylon used on canopies. This may show the difference in texture.

The weather here is not jumpable so I have to wait for the weekend. :(

Kris.

How is it sturdier? Is it stiffer? .. It's like those sails you see that are practically made of a sheet of plastic.

it's stiffer, more like a "traditional" sail, but still not as heavy as a sail.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It seems like the suit has less arm wing than the SF3 but the leg wing seems like it is the same size.

Are you sure? Do you mean the stance is wider? The S-fly I have seen has a scalloped trailing edge. It looked to me to be about the area of the GTI but not close to size of either of the skyflyers tails. Or is it a redesign and now about the shape of the matter 2?

Yes, very nice indeed. The plan form is as I remember. I like the soul/fly graffics imprinted into the material. This suit is an improvement over the original. You should have a blast come spring. Even find some good flocks next WFFC.That is unless you get impatient and come south with it sooner. Sounds like Loic will be in Eloy from Nov 24 till Dec. I also heard an unconfirmed rumor that he will be in Perris Nov 15 for some seminars and promotion stuff, food for thought.

Its a crime about your customs experience, $200 extra is just not right.

have mucho fun with your suit.

the main changes compared to the first suit are :
-new fabric (thicker)
-leg zips on the outside of the leg intead of outside
-"magnet clips" to hold the legs up while not wearing them (to walk, under canopy...)
-stitching is doubled and with the fabric folded and stitched again

I have one of the 'previous generation' s-fly's (I bought it about 8 months ago). Looks like the same shape and fit as yours. Glad to see that the stitching is improved as mine wasnt folded and double stitched.

Does your suit still have the 'inside out' zippers ? The ones I have seen have zips that look like they are reversed (with the smooth side on the outside). They are tricky to operate and at least 1 suit that I know has managed to damage the arm zipper.

Have fun flying the suit, in my experience it is more floaty than a GTi and with a bit less forward speed. Although other guys in South Africa have found that the S-Fly's perform better than GTi's. I would say it is a great alternative to a GTi for somebody getting a first suit.

By way of comparrison to an S3, I dont think the S-fly is really in the same category (at least when I am flying it). I get much more lift, drive and most importantly fun from my S3. The S-Fly has been sitting in the cupboard for a couple of months now, while the S3 have been working hard!

Simon

Pics attached, but are not very clear.

Clear enough to see your right, it is PINK. :D

Let us know how it flys!

Be safe
Ed

I saw Kris's S-Fly today, and it isn't pink:P

It is very nicely made, the fabric is rugged and it looks like it will last a long time. The design is impressive - obviously a lot of thought went into it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanks John :)
Here are a few pics and a neptune log of the only flight on it that was somewhat maxed out. The other two were two ways. The S-Fly I believe has more forward speed than a GTI but this is based on seat of the pants feel. FWIW The neptune recorded TAS speeds of less than 40 MPH on 3 different points, this did not happen on 48 mph avg jumps on the GTI. The inference is that S-fly can be flown slower vertically than the GTI.

Kris.