dragon2

rodeo dive

Was manifested solo, wanted to try out a Pilot 124. Then found out some friends were going to do a rodeo dive the same load. Lightweight girl, so..... Try my wingsuit this time? Or stick with trackpantz?

Wingsuit... The Aerodyne guy had to leave anyway...

This was the result (video will follow):

(Okay I can get much closer, will try next time!)

This was FUN!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Nice shots. I did a rodeo with an old buddy a couple of weeks ago and had him dump out while still on my back. That was pretty cool.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

.. and had him dump out while still on my back ..

Deploying in a huge burble - does this seem like an increased risk to anyone else?

Sure, the video is way cool if everything goes well, but I seem to remember a video of a raft dive where one of the riders pulls (or is pulled), and the pilot chute is dancing around the raft for bloody AGES before miraculously finding clean air unsnagged and leaving. Can't be bothered to look it up, but it's out there somewhere.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I was out jumping the other week and bumped into someone that did the same thing. I asked his WS experience and he replied "I've got about 10 wingsuit jumps now." The thought of doing it scares me with 170 wingsuit jumps...:S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The rider deploying in a burble is not what would worry me the most...
The thought that a person deploying on my back might catch a foot, hand or piece of his gear/suit behind a wing/piece of my rig/body and then get ripped of by his deploying main (breaking/teariring something on my rig/suit/body) scares me much, much more..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I've done a lot of rodeo jumps.

Having somebody dump while on your back would make for a pretty cool picture, and if they threw their pilot chute out, it would probably be in cleaner air, and farther into it, than when I pitch while wearing my S3.

When the rider rolls off the wingsuiter, it really looks like they are falling off a cliff. The difference in the vertical speeds is very high, and is cool to watch.

It's also fun when there is nobody else to flock with, just encourage the rider to roll to the side, and not backflip through your tail.

Are those screen grabs or photos? Nice framing with the clouds and all. Usually when I go out to get a subject that I have to track after or chase under canopy, I use a mild telphoto.

Nice, though. Looked like fun!

Unfortunately, just screengrabs... Haven't gotten around to fix a remote for my D70 yet.

Anyway the video is here:
http://www.12000ft.com/video/12.html

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Havent got the video clip any more but we also did some jumps where the rider was deploying on my bag.
It was a cool video the rider is disappearing 45 degree off my back

I think there is a similar clip on the 2002 year video form Øster Æra (Norway)

The only scary thing i can think can happen is the riders foot pulling my pilot when she leaves
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

My buddy has over 5,000 jumps and was very careful to just hold my yoke and use his knees on my thighs to hold himself on. When he dumped he came off my back as smooth and clean as you could wish for...no bumps, no nothing just the feeling of him leaving my back. No pc hesitation.

IMO, Having people roll off to the side when you have others tracking with you is far more dangerous...they can catch a wing and turn you sideways to the line of flight and they become sitting ducks for the people tracking behind.

I appreciate your concern but this is far from the stupidest thing we've done together over the years...crw on our reserves after a double intentional cutaway, trashplanes, breaking off downplanes low enough that we lifted our feet when we swung back under our mains. This was pretty tame by comparison. ;)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

What's a trashplane? :S

This is a trashplane....(see attached) biplane with the bottom canopy stalled....and it's my rodeo rider friend on top.
--
Murray

that's what happened on one of our rodeo jumps where my buddy deployed off my back, his foot tapped mine on the way off and he got something like 8 full linetwists :o (see attached pic)

hot tip though - he wore his freefly pants OVER his legstraps to minimize snag potential

soon to be gone