stevesuch

s-fly learning

Hi,
I'm off to Empuria end of September and am getting very excited! Naturally!
Whilst I'm out there I'm gunna sign up to the Babylon wingsuit school and learn to fly on their s-fly suits.
From hearing everyone elses comments and as most people have bought birdman suits, I'm probably gunna get a GTi when I get home. (Hopefully make flocking easier?)
Just wanted some peoples oppinions on what differences ( if any) I'll come up against after learning on an s-fly and transfering to a GTi.

I suppose the ground school theory about flight patterns and such would be the same?
Are the body positions pretty much interchangable? Would I need additional coaching from a BMI if I left Empuria with a good s-fly body position?

I'm so looking forward to flocking with you guys soon!

Hi,

I did a couple of flights on a classic2 before moving to an S-fly. While the basic body positions are very different, I found the flight principles, pull etc similar.

I had no problems moving to the s-fly from the classic2 and cant see that you would have any real problems moving from the s-fly (although you may choose to get an s-fly after all ;-)).

I have no problem flocking with GTi's in my S-Fly and from my experience the two suits are very similar. S-fly has a bit mroe lift and the GTi a bit more drive (but that may be entirely due to pilot skill).

Out of interest I did my first S3 jump last weekend and will be doing more this weekend. All I can say is that the suit rocks, and rocks hard.

Cheers,

Simon

Just wanted some peoples oppinions on what differences ( if any) I'll come up against after learning on an s-fly and transfering to a GTi.

Well any bird man suit is easier to put on. And any of the other suits are easier to take off the wings under canopy as you just pull the booties off your feet and pull the legs up after you deal with your arm wings.

Flight principles are the same. There are some differences in the sweet body position for each but this will take many, many jumps to sweeten up. Your first handfull of jumps are just a taste of human flight. The next several hundred is were you find your way to flock.

To answer your question of the flying styles of the 2 different style suits, the answer is yes.
Learning on one style suit, then switching to another will take some getting used to.
Any wingsuit will have the same flight pattern, but some suits will take you farther and faster. ;)
Learning to jump a wingsuit is a blast whichever suit you choose to learn on. It's after you have learned the basic saftey requirements of the particular suit your jumping at that time, that your new world opens up to what suit to buy because you want the BEST.
:SBULLSHIT:S
Every suit has different performance.
Sometime the pilot jumping a lower performance suit can fly with a person jumping a high performance suit....
In this case it could be pilot skill, or maybe just a leaner body with more wing span?
Don't let anyone try and influence you on what suit they think is the best.
They all are great and I'm sure we'll see many more designs with the makers saying how it is the BEST and how it's the easiest to get into, and how it's the fastest to put your rig onto it........:P
The wingsuit erea has only just begun, again!
Except this time they are being produced for the mass market of jumpers and have been proven to safe, well safe as the designs and the manufacturing goes.......;)
So which ever suit you deside to learn on, ENJOY the freedom of flight and most of all be safe. :)
-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Sorry.... I have to think this hard. working 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, can only turn someones head skyward and to birdy thoughts! ;)

Fido - Some info would be appreciated thanks.:)Did you have a couple of jumps with an instructor, do some solos, then back to an instructor to refine your position, or did you continuosly jump with an instructor throughout your training?
Just wondering how many instructor jumps to budget for! and whether a visit to the bank manager is required.

One of the reasons I want to get a GTi is that, one day progressing from a GTi to an S3 would be easier than from a s-fly? There's some crazy logic in my head thats come to that conclusion. Would you say this is correct ? ( the assumption not the logic!:S) Just thought progressing up the suits with the same manufacturer would be easier.

One of the reasons I want to get a GTi is that, one day progressing from a GTi to an S3 would be easier than from a s-fly? There's some crazy logic in my head thats come to that conclusion. Would you say this is correct ?

I went from S-fly to S3 no problem. Well I have done 1 S3 jump with no problems ;-)

Simon

One of the reasons I want to get a GTi is that, one day progressing from a GTi to an S3 would be easier than from a s-fly? There's some crazy logic in my head thats come to that conclusion. Would you say this is correct ? ( the assumption not the logic!:S) Just thought progressing up the suits with the same manufacturer would be easier.

Progression is a very personal thing some people got it easy and some have to work for it. What will make it easier for you to hop around to different suits is being current in wingsuits, have many jumps in wingsuits and be patient and take the time to learn from each flight, regardless of what you fly. This will make it easy for you to adapt to what ever wing you fancy next. And like girlfriends you can have as many as you can afford.