SimonM

Anybody tried FRWD GPS recorder

Sure have. Jari has several jumps on that unit, the 200 if I remember correctly. The 400 has the addition of the heart rate monitor strap but functions the same as the 200 as far as I know. The graphical read out from the download is given in a 3D space and not just a line up and down on the screen. It's pretty cool but more jumps and testing are still being done.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sure has. Master Vesa has done plenty of flights with one of those recorders. We had frwd unit with us on our latest trip to popular big wall in Norway and Vesa made some kick ass flights there. Too bad we havn't been able to download the data from those flights so far. Vesa is at the moment in Hecules Boogie but when he gets back we'll propably take a look at those flights. I didn't have any wingsuit flights downloaded in my laptop but I attached a screenshot of the analyzing software, "The FRWD replayer". Don't concentrate on the data because it's just a normal jump but that screenshot should give you a general idea of the user interface and especially the 3D -route plotter.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Vesa will propably sort out all the facts when he gets back from Sweden but I'll try to answer as far as my best knowledge.

Where do you mount it in a wingsuit ?

I think that Vesa has had it mounted in his arm, under the sleeve. I would think that the sleeve of a wingsuit is thin enough to get the recorder to work through it.

How long does it take to lock on to satellites when doing a jump from a plane ?

I remeber Vesa saying something about it that when sitting inside the plane this could be a probplem. He solved it by sitting at tha back of C-206 so he could sit by the window and so to get the recorder to lock onto satellites. I don't know exactly how long does it take but I would assume that it takes similar time what it takes from other commercially available GPS's.

When Vesa gets back from sweden, we'll try to get some wingsuitflights downloaded and post the data here.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

I know it's not the same unit but:

With my Garmin Geko301 I get perfect reception inside a Caravan if I'm sitting on the co-pilot's seat. That has been consistent.

Today, I tried sitting on the floor behind the pilot and couldn't get a satellite lock. I didn't get a recording of the first 6000ft of the flight, then the unit found enough satellites, and worked perfectly after that.

Where do you mount it in a wingsuit ?

Mine is on an altimeter pillow on my chest-strap. I thought I might have trouble with reception since my body is blocking the view to the satellites, but no; it's been working just fine.

Hi

I have used the FRWD in skydiving, WS-flying and base-jumping. In all jumps I have had it mounted in my left arm, so that it points upwards. On wingsuit jumps it is located under the wing fabric as you really do not have to see it when using it (only one big button).

When doing jumps from an airplane I always start the FRWD before boarding to insure a satellite lock before taking off. As GPS receivers do the locking best and give most accuracy when not in move. I usually sit on the rear section of our cessna 206 to give the unit the best possible wiev to sky. Just before exit I start recording by pusking the button. On base jumps, just start the FRWD when coming to exit point and start recording a second before exit.

On wingsuit jumps I have had quite good readings about glide angle and speeds, though the problem is how to take away error caused by windspeed compared to ground. As the unit of course understands only groundspeed...

if you have anything else to ask, please do not hesitate :)

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

You should have the GPS locked on while in the boarding area - then when you get on the plane, you need to be beside a window and just prop it up there until jumprun.

I put it on my wrist (garmin) and hold my hand along the windows as I move down the plane.

When I am hanging on the door, just punch the start button with my teeth and off I go.

No, Not without incident