cpoxon

Sugar Glider at Herc Boogie

Its gonna hurt those that sit on a pedestal with their wingsuitus maximus when the buck toothed, coke bottle glass, heavy set dweab smokes them in his ducked taped classic 1.

Nice quote dude :D
You're right and the pilot is what counts at the end of the day.

I can see 2 sub disciplines of wingsuit flying emerging:

Free flocking - having fun at sunset cruising with friends and not worrying about speeds/ratios

and

Performance flying - where you jump solo, striving to fly as far / as long / as slow as you can

Neither is better or worse than the other (just like RW-FF :P)

Both are great fun but I prefer the latter.

Long flights,

J

Performance flying - where you jump solo, striving to fly as far / as long / as slow as you can
Both are great fun but I prefer the latter.

I love it too. I wouldn't mind participating in a distance competition where the aircraft flys a standoff jumprun and the one that deploys closest to DZ wins, just like in tracking contest. Competition is good in every way it makes us all better.

We did some helo jumps this weekend and it was really fun to see just how far you can get in a short amount of time.

I have friends that will excel in any wingsuit they're flying, they have a preference but it doesn't really matter what , they make them all look good. I've got other friends that after one demo mock another type and to them its gospel. We will always have the gear hags out there. Absolute, black and white, this is better than that. I'm not gonna change that but I will poke fun at it.

I think in our hearts we all really want the ultimate machine in terms of range, I know I do. For whatever type of jump you are on its still nice zoom away after breakoff and get killer separation and an extra 10 to fifteen seconds of flight after the others have deployed. But we don't arrive there just based on gear. If you give me Luigi's gear I still won't have the same results he gets. You have to put the effort in to be that athlete. For some it comes easier and sooner, others have to work at it.

I love it too. I wouldn't mind participating in a distance competition where the aircraft flys a standoff jumprun and the one that deploys closest to DZ wins, just like in tracking contest.

We'll be doing this at the wingsuit boogie and competition at Skydive Oregon, September 10 - 12 (the comp will be on the 11th). Come check it out!
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Have you made any jumps with the SG using GPS - I am REALLY interested in the data to see how the horiz / vert speeds are.

I havnt jumped the SG (yet) and I dont know anybody who has jumped it with a GPS on. I have heard that experienced pilots can get low 30's vertical speed and it looks do able from what I have seen.

Do you have an approximate glide ratio? (for an experienced pilot like Jewels)
Is there video of that head to head you talked about? Who was the S3 pilot?

Sorry I dont have a glide ratio, video or pilot details. Not very scientific I am afraid.

I hadnt thought about the speed with which the SG gets flying compared to an S3, since it was a base jump that could explain it.

Interesting to see possible routes for wingsuiting develeoping- max distance/speed (S3) and longer hangtime (SG/S-Fly).

Finally, from the relatively little experience that I have I agree completely that the single biggest factor in performace is pilot ability.

Simon

Maybe someone has a GPS in Schweeeden, then we can measure the performance of the SG - Spinning Top (aka cpoxon) have you got your toy box with you?

;-D It's difficult to get to the windows in the Herc because of the seat netting so getting a lock is tricky, but I'll try.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

ask the navigator to place it up by the cockpit window or you can ask the load master to put it by the window located in the troop door. I'd go with the load master since that is actually closer to the ramp and easier for you.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING