jumpingjoe

Aerodyne Research Corporation????

Aerodyne is a bit of an unknown, currently.

They've long sold the Triathlon and Diablo, which are good canopies, but follow a dated design. Generally people think that while the products are perfectly good, there are newer and better designs available.

Aerodyne has recently merged with PISA and others, and are offering an expanded line of products including 9-cell canopies, reserves, and containers. I've not heard anything - good or bad about these new products. While I'm curious to see them, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach before offering any opinion.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yes...I was looking at a triathlon. Any advice?

Triathlons have a pretty good reputation...read the gear reviews. I've put a few jumps on a 175 and 160 that our club bought for students to use transitioning to smaller canopies and quite liked them. They can be purchased for somewhat less than a comparable PD canopy. If you watch the classifieds you'll see Tris without a lot of jumps for $500-700.

You can get them serviced by Aerodyne International...the new name after the merger. The contact person that our club had inspect the triathlons we bought is Cliff Dobson - who has been around nearly forever and gave us excellent service.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I have 30 jumps and have just placed an order for a pilot. I must admit I did a little research and asked around my dz... but I still dont know too much about it :$

Any input would be appreciated!
:)
Blue Ones,
Pia
**Those who refuse to live and learn simply exist**

I must say I didn't want to buy a new canopy, when I have so little jumps to my name, but from what everyone tells me the re-sale is extremely good.. and Ill probably put about 150 - 200 jumps on it before I downsize, so I s'pose its worth it! :P
Cant wait till I get it :D
**Those who refuse to live and learn simply exist**

I have 30 jumps and have just placed an order for a pilot. I must admit I did a little research and asked around my dz... but I still dont know too much about it :$
Any input would be appreciated!

I have Pilot 150 for about 40 jumps, loaded 1.5 and I am very very happy with it.
I also tried sabre2 150 and found out that glide angel of Pilot 150 is flatter and Pilot is more toggle responsive as well although Sabre2 sink more altitute in fly and in turn and that is why is faster.
I found out that Pilot opens soft and more onhead.

i have a tri 190 i like the hell out of it , it might not be a swooper but it flies nice opens soft, and has got me back from a long spot or two, and has good landing flair, i recently just purchased a tri 160. i think it would depend on what you want it to do just for your first canopy, or if your trying to learn to swoop if it is your first canopy i thinkit is a good choice.

I have around 400 jumps on a Triathlon 160 and 190 over about 7 years. If you're looking for a used canopy that's reliable but very inexpressive it would be a great choice. The resale value of Triathlons seem to be very low these days so wouldn't buy a new one. I was able to buy a Triathlon 190 with 300 jumps on it for $500 about a year ago. I see you jump at Sky's the Limit, please tell Shay I said hi.

Craig Nadler

I jump a Triathlon, and have been since I got my license. I love it. Most of the reviews of it in the "Gear" section are positive too. If it's a first canopy, I don't think you'd go wrong.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

FYI - I have jumped both the Pilot 170 (square) and Vision 150 (elliptical) canopy's by Aerodyne. And must say that I am impressed, the packing volume was great for their size, and the openings were smooth and consistant.

The flying of both are great, with a good glide ratio and light toggle pressure and quick response (dont need to yank the toggle to turn), both had me inpressed. As I am in the proccess of learning riser turns to final, I was happy to see light responsive front riser input and pressure, with a nice smooth recovery arch.

I have jumped both the Hornet & Heatwave from PISA and the new canopy's are steps ahead, and would recommend it to any jumpers looking at getting a new main.

Aerodyne is doing some great marketing, so demos are available throughtout the US, Europe and South Africa. Just give them a call.

http://www.aerodyne-int.com/

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

I have put a lot of jumps on Aerodyne canopies and they are great. I put over 300 jumps on my Triathlon and have over 70 on the Pilot. The pilot is a GREAT canopy. I would put it up against the Sabre 2 any day. Great openings and nice landings. The price is a few hundred bucks cheaper as well. PD and Aerodyne both make good canopies. The biggest difference between the Sabre2 and the Pilot is the way that it dives. The Sabre2 has a steeper dive when using the front risers. The Pilot doesn't dive as much and has a faster recovery arch then the Sabre2. The Pilot has lighter riser pressure as well. Makes it real easy to hold them down so you can build up speed to get the nice flair that it offers. I know it is hard to buy something that you have not seen or jumped but this is not a bad bet at all. If you jump it and don't like it, you will be the first one that I have heard that didn't. We have sold a lot of them in the last few months and I haven't had one complaint yet. Money well spent either way, but less money out of pocket with the Pilot. The Tri is a good canopy but if you started on 9 cells you may be more comfortable with the Pilot. If you are a new jumper I wouldn't suggest the Diablo to you. It is very responsive and can scare a newer jumper since it is a 7 cell Eliptical.
Dom