cpoxon

New Matter suit?

Wow, saw lots of familiar faces in those photos. I see Winnie got herself a nice white container to match her Birdman suit. I can't remember the other girls name at the moment but Jari and I taught her how to Birdman down in Deland a while back. She is a straight up BASE jumper, snow ski,water ski,extreme sport chick AND a model. She is also super cool.

Is it just me or does it look like it took a long time for that suit to start flying compared to the other shots?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The only face I recognise here is Geraldine Fasnacht, she won the Verbier Extreme 2003 and was 2nd in 2004...

Is it the person in the suit that makes it fly late ???
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Is it just me or does it look like it took a long time for that suit to start flying compared to the other shots?

I see what you mean. I think it's just the difference in wingsuit pilots. The people in the pics flying S3s were just getting into their full flight body position sooner. It's impossible to tell from those pics when the suit actually "activates". Though, none of those shots show the Matter suit actually flying (too close to exit).

The "outline" of some suits is approaching the shape of a rectangle (Sugar Glider, this new Matter suit, and various handmade prototypes). IMHO, I think that suits headed in this direction will get good float, but not as much glide as suits shaped more like two arrows pointing the same way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only one suit crossed the entire fjord at that event -- and that was a Phoenix Fly suit.

At any rate, competition breeds progress. It's great to see so many innovations hitting the wingsuit and tracking world right now.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only one suit crossed the entire fjord at that event -- and that was a Phoenix Fly suit.

Uh and I"ve only seen one suit fly 10 feet above a mountain slope, and that was a S-Fly. Does that mean that the S-Fly is the only suit that can do it? Uh no. Suit performance is 70 - 80 % the pilot.

And I'd tend to agree that you can't say that the suit takes longer to inflate based on those few pictures, because the body position on that exit was totally different than the other jumpers.

Also, any pics of the Phoenix Fly floating around?

Well, there's a difference in having the balls to fly down a mountain where a less than 2:1 glide is needed, and having the ability to cross the whole damn fjord at that cliff. ;) Throw the same pilot in a different suit than the PF, and I don't think it's gonna happen. A lot of very skilled wingsuit pilots have jumped there many, many times in many, many suits. Reportedly, the distance in this new suit has never been matched.

I can't cover the same amount of ground or get the same delay in my GTi that I can in my S3, and I have almost the same number of jumps on both suits. There is definitely a lot to be said for the design.

Download "yotbm.wmv", Robi's "Year of the Birdman" video, from skydivingmovies.com. The prototype is in that. It flies from objects VERY quickly (check out how soon it starts moving off of the mushroom rock), and once in flight, has insane forward speed and lift. The distance on that same jump is astounding. Check out the three way in Italy, and you can see a major difference between it and the two S3s. Robi is a hell of a wingsuit pilot, of course, but the difference is stark.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

(sorry if i repeat some stuff i already posted on the BASE forum)

I watched the Matter, Birdman and Phoenix track pants / wingsuits fly in Norway.

It was amazing to see the progress in just one year.

Last June the wingsuits flew to the landing area. (approx 0.6 mile)

This year the Phoenix track pants flew to the landing area!!

The wingsuits, not to be out done, flew over a mile to the other side of the fjord!!

I watched Robert Pecnik fly his Phoenix prototype wingsuit, he flew so damn fast with such a flat glide that it looked like he wasn't decending. He opened half way over the fjord at way over a 1000', Kjerag seemed small :p

I also watched the Matter suit, the pilot who recently started wingsuit BASE appeared to be flying well. The forward speed of the suit was significantly slower than the Birdman / Phoenix suits but the fall rate was very low, the resulting glide was reasonable, getting him over the landing area with lots of altitude to spare.

I look forward to see what the coming year brings, exciting times ahead :)

Long flights,

J

Yeah, I saw Tom's video of Petter flying a very, very great distance in Norway. It'd be interesting to see what people like him can do in a PF suit.

We already have an idea from the performance Robert gets!

I've seen people fly the S3 at 2.5:1 glide ratio, I think Roberts new designs will take us past the 3:1 boundary :o

Times of opening early on a deep spot are long gone!! :P

J

True Tom, but the width of the fjord at smelly is less than at #6

If you watch the video you can see he pulls because he crosses the fjord. He's still got more than 1000' of vertical altitude--he just can't use it because there is a large rock wall coming straight at him.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com