whatever

116 seconds, 59mph on Classic II: OK or not?

hey there all you birdpeople
with all of 9 wingsuit jumps now, I'm just wondering if I'm doing OK?

this from my Protrack on a Classic II:
exit - 14200ft
deploy - 4400ft
freefall time - 116 sec
average TAS - 59mph

I got about the same numbers on a GTi, but seemed to cover a lot more ground...;)

any hints appreciated, thanks

later
sam

soon to be gone

For really, it depends on a few factors, such as body weight, height, and fit of the suit. Also, what is "good" is really subjective. What you consider to be a reward from your flight really depends on what you want. Do you like a quite, relaxing float or do you like the rush of screaming across the sky? Do you like piña colada and long walks in the rain?

I got about the same numbers on a GTi, but seemed to cover a lot more ground

Going off a tangent... this seems to be the case with a lot of people. Supposedly, the GTi has thinner wings, but I've seen people cover a LOT of ground in Classics, even on their first jumps. When I fly my GTi (about 200 jumps on it) against someone with a few jumps in a Classic, I generally float the hell out of them (even the tall, skinny bastards), but don't cover as much ground. Might just be how I fly it.

I think a lot of people get into their Classics, kick ass pretty quickly, but then start going for max freefall time, effectively killing their glide. Look at guys like Smiley that just go for glide, and you'd be amazed at how much ground one can cover with a Classic, while maintaining a respectably low fall rate.

What this means is that one day, we just might see "Knight Rider: The Movie" make it to the big screen.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

What this means is that one day, we just might see "Knight Rider: The Movie" make it to the big screen.

Yeah, but only if it's a "serious" movie - and not like the "Starsky & Hutch" movie....

"Do it. Do it."

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I'm a BIG guy. 260 out the door and 6ft. Our exit altitude is 10k and I deploy at 4k. I get about 60 seconds of freefall time and vary between 110 and 60's depending on what I'm trying to do. I'm still learing the suit, don't have anyone else to fly with so it's hard to know if I've hit the spot or not. I generally tend to hit the spot and feel myself slowing down about a thrid of the way into the jump. Remember, legs out, arms out and rolled a bit then think BUTT UP and it works for me every time.

I think you're kicking ass in your suit, I only have 25 jumps on mine and this weekend will only be my 3rd flock with anyone else, so I probably have all kinds of bad habits I need to break
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I am 6'2" and 210 out the door.

My nineth jump details :

Exit : 11700
Deploy : 4500
FF Time : 82
Avg speed : 60 mph(TAS...SLAS is 58 mph. SDC is 680 ft above sea level).

All I am doing is relaxing and letting the suit fly itself. So it might have more to do with our "wing loading" rather than skill. :)
Have Fun!!
Kris.

Edited to add: All my jumps are on a classic II.