John4455

Folding pilot chute

I was interested in finding out how wing suit flyers were folding their pilot chutes with the longer bridle. After a bird man jump on saturday, I was packing my rig, and as I started to stow my pilot chute I wondered about the way I was doing it.
The question that I asked my self was when I throw my pilot chute, is all that extra bridle being thrown out with it, or is the wind pulling it out? If all that bridle isn't being "thrown" out, what good is it doing? I was folding my pilot chute and then S folding the bridle on top of it and putting it in the pouch. After thinking about it, I started folding my pilot chute with at least part of the bridle folded inside, so when I threw it, the bridle was being thrown as well.

How do ya like it Johnny?

Folding pilot chutes seems to have everyone's "best" way to do it. Just ask anyone at a DZ. Personally, I S fold as much bridle as I can onto the quartered pilot chute as possible before I fold/roll it closed. That way all of the bridle is covered and inside the pilot chute itself. When pulled out, you are pulling all of the S folded bridle and the pilot chute out and placing it into the airstream. It needs to be done neatly as the excess bridle material on a birdman bridle can become bulky and make for a stiff pull if done sloppy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I fold my pilot chute the same no matter what kind of jump I'm doing. (I only have 3 WS jumps and don't have the longer bridle, so my opinion may not be what you are looking for.) I think the important thing when folding a PC is if it can be extracted in any situation. Heres what I mean: Pack up your rig and then pull the pin while the PC is still in the BOC. Can you easily pull the PC out by the bridle? I often see people fold up their PCs in a way that it can't be extracted in reverse and turns into a hard-pull ball in the BOC. What would happen if someone had a pin come out accidentally and had a horseshoe? My PC has a much better chance of clearing (coming out) in this situation, which is why i fold it that way. Everyone folds theirs different though, so to each their own. Thats just what I am comfortable with.
My .02...:)
Edited to say: that is the explaination I was given by an S&TA when I asked why people fold their PCs differently and why he showed me that way...:)

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

I pack the same as LouDiamond and Skymonkey, all the bridle inside the folded PC.

Me too - and my rigger got a bit carried away building my extended bridle so it's about 10.5 ft pin to pc! Doesn't really make it harder to pack.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

That doesn't look like the "mushroom" method I've seen and used for years, unless there is a "mushroom #2" method out there. Many BASE jumpers do use the mushroom method. Basically, you S-fold the mesh (or the stem of the mushroom) under the F111 and the F111 drapes over the mesh. Then the bridle is S-folded on top of the mesh, but under the F111. When it comes out, it is symmetrical, ready to inflate, and it looks like the attached pic.....

I fold mine using the mushroom technique...many BASE jumpers also use it.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

You mean there is supposed to be a specific way to fold those damn things? Just kidding, if it is able to come out, go with it. Personally, I like to iron mine right before I put it in the BOC.

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

I fold mine using the mushroom technique...many BASE jumpers also use it. Only one issue so far: I packed my wife's PC that way and it was a harder pull than normal :$ (still got it out) :) .

sure you pack a real mushroom?it should be easy to pull,you sure know why;)

I pack muchroom aswell,by the way before i did that i had 2 high speed mal. on pc´s,one got intangled(hacky and bridal) the other one simply were so hard to pull that i didnt even manneged to do so ,after my reserve flight,on the ground by 2 hands on the hacky and legs onm the rigB| i quick learned to pack my pc proberly after that one..:Pi had just under 1200ft to learn to fly my microraven g 120 in.. oh,and by the wingload i have to it,im inpressed i didnt got hurt in the landing,such a small f-111 canopy whith that wing load is just asking for trouble:|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I kind of like the way Strong demonstrated the packing of their tandem drogue. The drogue gets folded similar to a PC, but with the bridle left out. Then the bridle is stuffed into the BOC pouch, followed by the drogue. This way, when you throw the drogue, it doesn't have to unfold to release the bridle and it stays folded up until its well clear of the burble. When you toss it, you are not pulling the bridle out from inside the drogue, its just pulling out of the pouch. I've seen some videos of the drogue being deployed when packed in this manner and it seems real clean. With a tandem, similar to a WS jump. you want a good strong launch of the PC (drogue) to get it out of the burble.

But hey, what do I know?
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division