PhreeZone

Nova's

What was the final status of the Nova? Was it grounded by Glide Path for good? Was it a temp grounding or was it only issued a warning about potential issues?

What I'm looking for is can they still be jumped?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What was the final status of the Nova? Was it grounded by Glide Path for good? Was it a temp grounding or was it only issued a warning about potential issues?

What I'm looking for is can they still be jumped?

i'm pretty sure they are grounded, but i could be proven wrong.

apperntally they fly fine if you load em up at about 2.0 or 2.3. but that's just what i've heard from people who have jumped them.

later

It was Grounded and should stay that way. Some seemed to be ok. I personally watched a very good swooper nearly lose his life. He came in carving front riser then it folded and reinflated. He pulled off the landing but not gracefully. He cut it up on the spot.

My recommendation is jump it in a 3 parachute system. Screw around with it all you want, then cut it away.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I was unaware there was a retraction. However, I'm not going to retract what I said.

I'd like to get my hands on one so I can jump it in a triple rig. I'd like to do the same things I used to do under my stiletto, and am currently doing under the Xaos.

If any one has a Nova that I can borrow for a while and doesn't mind it being cut away, I'd appreciate it. Our DZ is very large so it's easy to put the cutaway canopy in a safe place. I'll wear video, and share all results.

Hookit,
Regardless of whether or not the Nova still exists, regarless of whether or not some were good and some were bad, whether or not the "grounding" has been lifted... please take into account the following:

An up an coming jumper by the name of Ron Gross died under a Nova right in front of his father because the borrowed one he was jumping collapsed in even wind at less than 200 feet. I am a direct friend of Ron and his family... that loss was almost more than his brother Gary and his father could bear. Gary used to fly various planes at Xenia and some of you probably know him and the aftermath.

You can jump anything you want, load a canopy to the hilt as much as you want and claim to be an expert pilot on any of the super-turbo-postage stamps available out there... but do you really feel the need to tempt fate that badly for the hell of it?

I have seen enough people go in or get seriously injured over my skydiving career... but jumping a Nova regardless is just plain asking for it.

I'm sure you're a competent pilot and there are probably several Novas still in the air out there that have been jumped without incident for years... again is it really worth the risk?

I prepare for the flames from Nova jumpers... but there is nothing you can say or do to convince me that a Nova is "safe". Additionally there is nothing you can say that will bring Ron back to me, his brother and his dad.

I plead with you to drop the idea... it just isn't worth it.

GraficO

check out this web addy for a pic of Ron and others that didn't make it to the green light and a beer at the end of the day... http://www.robharris.org/eternalflame.htm
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Thanks for your concern. I have no intention of landing it. If that wasn't clear, it is now. I don't disagree with you in any way. I've seen them fold and am not willing to land one. My friend died in front of my eyes when a Pintail folded on final from a simple double front riser approach. Wringing out a parachute has been something Ive done ever since.

I have access to a triple rig and have several planned breakaways to my name.. Test piloting is something I like to do either for fun, or in this instance, to see if flying it like my Stiletto or my Xaos, will fold it up. It would not be a haphazard roll of the dice. It will be planned out very well in advance.

The whole reason behind wanting to fly one is because I was under the impression it was still grounded. My opinion is it should be and I'm willing to try and prove it in a controlled manner.

The chances of someone coming forward and shipping one to me is pretty slim any way. Given the oppurtunity, I will fly one. But only to release it and land a known good parachute.

Tim

There is one for sale in the Classifieds right now. I was inquiring if it was still grounded because if it was I was going to make some big editor notes on the ad. As it is I'm going to make a few small changes to the ad now that I have more information.

I'm more willing to piss off a seller then I am willing to risk a unknowning jumpers safety.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

i didnt read the complete thread so i hope this is not redundant.

novas were investigated by greg yarbonet (invented the slider). he found the airfoil to be less than ideal and the design was made worse by any sewing inaccuracies. he also was involved in testing the ill fated crossfire and told us both had very similar problems.

i have a bunch...but would not jump them...

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Tim, if you are still looking for Novas, ask Scott Christensen (sp?) at Adventure Sports Loft in Perris. Last time I talked to Scott, he still knew where there were one or two Novas for sale - just not to the general public.
Some Novas flew great and others were scary.
I know several freefall videographers who did hondreds of jumps on Novas in the violently turbulent desert air of Southern California and never had any problems.
I got a good Nova 150 and jumped it for a season.
The only reason my Nova 150 is in my closet now is the hard openings. I have a solution in mind, just not the time to sew it on.

Thanks Rob

Some Novas flew great and others were scary.

Yeah, I noticed that. Like a wise person just said to me in an email... Kinda like a scared animal... you just never know when it's gonna bite you.

Thanks for the info.