alain

Salomon suit vs birdman GTI ?

I'm looking for some feedback on the suit designed by Loic and his buddies...
Would any one share his (her) experience with it ?
Has any one flocked close to one of those while flying a birdman suit ?
How does it compare to a GTI (safety, speed, fall rate, construction) ?
trying to make a smart choice, here, on this side of the pound :P
thanks for input !
Alain

I wrote a post on my experience with the Matter suit in this forum a few months back. You can see it HERE I also included pictures of it , see the link at the bottom of the post.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

thnaks for input, I had read it allready ;-)
I'm not actually searching on that one but on the Salomon one.
Rumor says the Matter is a pale copy of the Salomon... (not built the same way nor in the same material as far as I know)
Alain

I've watched both suits flown, and flown together, but have never flown either, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The Salomon suit is a "top level" suit, and the GTi is an "entry level" suit.

If you are looking for a first suit, I'd go with the Salomon. It doesn't appear any harder to handle, and has greater lift (hence slower fall rates) and approximately the same forward speed. If you're making fixed object flights, it also has the advantage of greater wing area (to start flying sooner). As far as safety, I'd rate them about the same. The Salomon cutaway system is (in my opinion) superior, but I've never had trouble with the Bird-man system, and I've used it dozens of times. On construction, I can't really say, as I haven't seen enough different Salomon suits to get an idea. I'd guess that they are both fine, but have no real evidence to support that. All in all, I think you'll stay happy longer with the Salomon, and won't be unduly disadvantaged on the learning curve.

If you're looking for a top level suit, though, I'd go with an S3. It has far greater lift than either the GTi or the Salomon. But that wasn't really what you asked, was it?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In terms of performance, if both suits are flown at their peak, the S-Fly will be easier to fly and have a slower fall rate than the GTi, but the GTi will have better forward speed, overall glide ratio, and will be more responsive.

In terms of flocking, the GTi is more well rounded and compatible with all other suits, including the Skyflyer and S3. A S-Fly and S3 flock would make both parties involved have to work pretty hard.

I have no comparison for workmanship, as people haven't really had the S-Fly long enough to test its endurance, but the BirdMan suits, in general, are built tough.

The S-Fly is approximately $740 and comes in four stock or custom colors. All sizes are custom. The delivery time is six weeks for stock colors and nine weeks for custom colors. E-mail [email protected].

The BirdMan GTi sells for $799. Colors and sizes are custom. Stock and used suits are also available from around $300. Delivery time is usually between six and eight weeks (usually the latter) for a custom suit. BirdMan’s web site is at http://www.bird-man.com.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click