skipro101

purchasing

Hey.

I am only a few jumps away from completing my AFF course.

I am 210lbs (without gear) and I am 6'2''

I am lost as to what to do next with gear.

I will try and make this as consise as possible...

I eventually want a mirage g3.

I dont know what canopy I will want.

I am being encouraged to purchase a new rig (since I have the money for it). but this is by people who stand to make money off my purchase.

I do not want to buy a new rig and then have to downsize 50-100 jumps later and loose all that money.

My options that I know I have are:

1. Buy used, sell after 50-100 jumps at about the same price I paid for, then buy new. (sounds nice, but has its own headaches)

2. Buy a new rig fitted for the size of canopy that I think that I will want , then stuff a 190 safire into it by utilizing a longer closing cord and then when I downsize Ill just put a shoter close cord in and be good to go.

problems: I cant seem to find a used rig that fits me and is a good deal. I also dont like dealing with all the bargening, and such. Also, I am afraid that if i buy used, i wont be able to sell it when I want to, or will loose a lot of money in order to sell it when i want to.

I get different stories from people about buying your rig for a certain size and using a different size.. in other words, some people say its a good idea to buy it new if you can and just stuff a bigger canopy in there by modiying the cord length. Others say no, you want to order your rig for the size of canopy that you are going to be using and then stick with it.

Also, if I order a mirage m4 fitted for a sabre 170 (with the intent of modfying it to fit a safire 190), then I be assuming that I can find a safire 190 used (i wont want to buy a new canopy and then turn around and sell it after 50 jumps..ill have to get it used)

So I might be stuck with a brand new m4 mirage g3 and cant find a canopy that has enough square feet for me to jump safely but will still fit in the rig!

oh sheesh, this is supposed to be fun but its all headaches,

any advice? :S

1. Buy used, sell after 50-100 jumps at about the same price I paid for, then buy new. (sounds nice, but has its own headaches)

You don't have to buy a whole new rig to downsize. You can sell the main and put a smaller one in the same container.

2. Buy a new rig fitted for the size of canopy that I think that I will want , then stuff a 190 safire into it by utilizing a longer closing cord and then when I downsize Ill just put a shoter close cord in and be good to go.

Have you tried packing a 190 anything zp into a container built for a 170? Do so before you decide to do this.

Also, if I order a mirage m4 fitted for a sabre 170 (with the intent of modfying it to fit a safire 190), then I be assuming that I can find a safire 190 used (i wont want to buy a new canopy and then turn around and sell it after 50 jumps..ill have to get it used)

Have you jumped a 190 anything yet? What makes you think you're going to have mastered a 1.2 wingloading in 50-100 jumps? I don't understand why you're planning to start with such a high wingloading... Why not buy a 210 and learn to fly the shit out of it (ie be able to do everything on billvon's list - do a search, you'll find it), then go to a 190 and learn to fly the shit out of it, then go to a 170, etc. You can put all three of those canopy sizes in the same container, btw, and not hate life when you're packing the 210 either.

What's the rush to go so small?

You can have a pad sewn into the bottom of the main container (against your back) to take up the extra space if you want to put a smaller/out of the normal range of main for your container. Have to be careful to not leave loose corners that can snag a line.

Many that strive for the smallest package on their back would never be satisfied with this, but you are a big guy, you won't gain much advantage by spending money on a new container that is only slightly smaller.

Don't get ahead of yourself, You are more likely to skydive for a very long time if you stay with a canopy that is larger than you need. Not everyone jumps at high wingloadings.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Call around and see who has what (hint, someone like skybytch) in your size and go jump it. The more rigs you jump the more you will be educated. You might be surprised that what you thought you wanted might not end up being what you like, is comfortable and fits your needs. If you are in the sport for the long haul take your time.

So its not a big deal to buy a new container when just off student status?

I havnt jumped a 190 or 210 yet (only a 290 student), but i dont see how I can without buying it...my dropzone doesnt have anything to rent besides 290 and up.

Im not sure I want to buy a mirage container for a 210 if i plan on downsizing a year later. I dont have the kind of money (the kind of money that allows one to loose that much by selling it used).

It seems the best deal would be to buy used and then keep downsizing untill i find what I like (which might take anywhere from 40-150 jumps) and then buy new.

but...99% of whats for sale is like 170s and 150s and 130s ....i hardly ever see rigs with 210 mains....

PS...what do you think of this ad...

FOR SALE: Mirage M6/Spectre 210/PD176R/Cypress
Great rig for new or bigger jumper.Mirage M6 with large harness Spectre 210 with 400 jumps and a PD 176 reserve with no jumps.Asking $2700.
Am downsizing and need to sell. email for more info or pics

obviously i wont have to take the spectre out and put in a more docile canopy.....

Thanks!

FOR SALE: Mirage M6/Spectre 210/PD176R/Cypress
Great rig for new or bigger jumper.Mirage M6 with large harness Spectre 210 with 400 jumps and a PD 176 reserve with no jumps.Asking $2700.
Am downsizing and need to sell. email for more info or pics

So let me see if I understand, you want to downsize 90 sq. ft. in one jump with an experience level of four jumps, loading the new canopy at 1.12 (about the max limit at best) with a reserve (your last chance) loaded at 1.35 (not smart), no cypress or RSL. Can I be listed on your insurance policy?:S

If your DZ doesn't have different size canopies, go to other DZ's after your AFF and down size slowly over several jumps. 290 to 260 to 230 to 210 etc. This will safely transition you with the help of a coach and/or instructor, build confidence and needed skills and give you a chance to jump different gear.

Im not sure I want to buy a mirage container for a 210 if i plan on downsizing a year later.

How small are you planning to downsize in a year? One more time - if you buy a container built for a 210 you can put as small as a 170 in it.

the kind of money that allows one to loose that much by selling it used

If you're worried about "losing" money on it, buying skydiving equipment isn't a good idea. If you jump your gear, the value will go down - whether you buy it new or used.

It seems the best deal would be to buy used and then keep downsizing untill i find what I like (which might take anywhere from 40-150 jumps) and then buy new.

So you want to buy a 190 that you'll load at 1.2+, then within 150 jumps downsize two or three more sizes?

Have you discussed this with your instructors? What do they think about your plan?

Do you have good medical insurance?

Don't worry so much about what might happen 100, 200, 300 jumps from now. For now buy what's going to keep you safe while you're learning to fly a parachute - don't kid yourself, there's a LOT more to it that what you're learning as a student. Right now you don't have the skills to handle even a 210 if shit were to happen (like someone cutting you off as you're coming in on final, or having to land in a backyard cuz Joe Bob can't spot, etc).

Slow down. There's no rush. You can have loads of fun and learn a lot about canopy control on big canopies.

How small are you planning to downsize in a year? One more time - if you buy a container built for a 210 you can put as small as a 170 in it.

How true is this? I have a Vector III on order built for a 170 main. RWS told me their recommendation is only to downsize as far as a 150, but I have heard from others that a 135 would be ok too. That would be awesome and totally extend the life of my rig, but I really don't want to accept hearsay over what the manufacturer deems "ok."
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Just so you know if you are thinking of buying a safire 1 190 Depending on where the canopy was manufactured it will be about the same size as a Sabre 170.

Also I weigh a little less than you do and jump a safire 1 189 and I'm not bored with it at all.(after 250+jumps) I'm now starting to get a feel for what this canopy can do.

Blue Skies Black Death

I really don't want to accept hearsay over what the manufacturer deems "ok."

Go with what the manufacturer says.

I should have been more specific. Most containers can safely hold up to two sizes smaller than the size main they were built for. If in doubt, ask the manufacturer what they recommend.

I have decided to buy used. Now I jsut need to find something that fits.

I also plan on going to another local dropzone that has 220-290 mains to try out in their student gear....this should help me find out what i want.

Right now im keeping my eyes peeled for something around a 220 main. Im 6'2'' so the main lift web needs to be approx 18inches.....

Thanks everyone