cpoxon

John Loken surfing the Herc slipstream

Just going throuhg some vid and came across this shot from the ramp of John Loken expertly riding the slipstream of the C-130 Hercules in his wingsuit. Not sure if he gets above it; wouldn't he be obscured? Then again, the point of view is lower than the tail. He certainly looks like he's above it from his angle, but I don't have a copy of that unfortunately.

JohnLoken.WMV

Yes, as an eyewitness I can testify that he really got over the top. I would estimate that in the best exits he vent at least 5 meters over the wing level. I only managed to do few meters over with two attempts, but it was still a lot of fun. For climbing you have to jump off the ramp very flat and at about 20-30 degrees angle to the air blast coming below the plane. If you exit in more vertical attitude, you climb very steep for a while but the airspeed slows down too early and the climbing stops. If you exit in too much horizontal position, you end up in a dive... And of course you have to ride the slipstream very aggressively to get high up.

New pic's from Herc.02: http://users.utu.fi/vejuto/Gallery.html

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

John gets above the HERC, how do i know I was filming him and I remained level with johnfor this shot twice, the best version is in the edit that i shalll be sending out tonight to Craig and over to Birdman. Johns perspective is also in the vid though from a different jump which he did not get so high on.

Enjoy

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!