chvitaly

Javelin Odyssey vs. Vector 3 M

I've been jumping rental gear for the past 90 or so jumps, but now I can afford to buy a brand new rig. After browsing gear reviews, these forums, and talking to people at my DZ, I narrowed the choice down to Javelin Odyssey or Vector 3 M. Since these are both very good rigs, one of the things I am more interested in right now and get completely different opinions on, is the level of comfort (especially under canopy) of these rigs. I would like to hear what people who jumped both containers think. Other comments regarding these harness/container systems are also welcome.

Thanks.

Vit

If you really want comfort under canopy (and anywhere else) try a racer! But I guess if you are really set on a oddity or a vector...
The V3 I jump at work isn't really very comfy (of course my personal gear are racers so it has a lot to live up to). The javs I've jumped haven't been too horrible, and I'm sure you'll get a much better review of them from people who jump them on a much more regular basis.
But like I said, if you really want a comfy rig that is light and highly functional in all attitudes of freefall, get a racer. ;)
Miami

never mind my posting above... just checked the web-site myself.. the micron and the Vector 3 M are totally different containers...
My bad! :)

Well, they are actually closer to the same container. If my reading is right, the Micron came out as an improvement on the Vector3 and it was designed to hold smaller canopys. The Vector 3 M cam out shortly after utilizing the improvements of the Micron. Or so I thought.

I have jumped a vector, and I have tried a odyssey on. If I just had to compare wearing the two on the ground I would say the vector is more comfortable, and I liked where the container sat on my back more. This may have been an issue of the vector being better sized for my body (Neither rig was mine) or an overall differnce.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Well, they are actually closer to the same container. If my reading is right, the Micron came out as an improvement on the Vector3 and it was designed to hold smaller canopys. The Vector 3 M cam out shortly after utilizing the improvements of the Micron...

... and is designed to hold larger canopies that could not fit in Micron.

:|

I've had 3 different Vector containers, and jumped a Micron for a little bit. They are totally safe, and super tight. Excellent product. As to comfort, I'm not so sure...
I know own an Odyssey, and would never buy anything different. Fits great, looks great, extremely comfortable, it is totally safe and freefly friendly.
The waiting time with Sunpath is a bit long, but if you consider that the winter is right around the corner, it might be worth checking them out.
All in all, container choice is such a personal thing. Maybe you can get a demo to see how you feel about one or the other.
Blue ones,
T

Hi! I find the Vector3 to be a bit brickish on your back, not the most comfortable.

I have owned a Vector but switched to the Javelin about 8 years ago. I have never gone back. I now have the Odyssey and love everything about how it feels in freefall and under canopy. It is a very comfortable rig, looks great, very reputable safety-wise, easy to pack both for me (the main) and my rigger.

You're going to have your new rig for quite a long time (unless your loaded and $'s not a factor) so, in my opinion, the Odyssey will be worth the wait. I would not make such an important decision as to which container to trust my life to on delivery times. In that case, you could get one of the less popular rigs very soon and for less money.

Go for quality and comfort.

~Kim
-Kimberly Griffin

If you want an Odyssey call Mike at American Skydiving Systems in Mississippi. He has some prebought slots and I had mine in exactly 4 weeks from the day the order went in. Of course Sunpath did complain a little, they wanted the orders in by 5 weeks. Thats faster than buying a jumpsuit at no extra charge.:)

***How come all the rich kids get to make all of the jumps?***

The Vector 3M and the Odyssey are both well made rigs, and very safe. Everyone here has made good points about what they like about their rigs, I myself prefer Vectors, I have hundreds of jumps on both rigs, I feel the Javelin is very comfortable on the ground, but the Vector (to me) is a lot more comfortable under canopy. Also I like the Relative workshop risers a lot better than the sunpath ones. But that is just my opinion. One thing that Relative offers that sunpath doesnt is the Skyhook, you might want to look into that and see if you want it. As far as packing its preference, I can make a Vector reserve look great easily, and it takes a lot of work for me to make a Javelin reserve look good, but other people prefer Javelins to Vectors, its all what your used to. Apples, oranges. There is also other rigs out there that are good, I looked over an infinity the other day and it looked like a well built rig to me, I havent jumped one so I wont comment, just look at everything good, and make up your own opinion dont buy something over what someone else says.
Good luck in your rig hunt.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!