VectorBoy

compatable canopies

I jump a Competition Cobalt 75 with my wingsuit. It opens very soft and straight; both key characteristics of what you want in a canopy for wingsuit use. If your normal main is a "spinner" that you EVER have to fight, then don't jump it with a wingsuit. While with practice you can get your wings off almost immediately, there is still a chance that a spinny main could get away from you before you have a chance to stop it. There are a lot of straight/easy opening mains out there, so do right and choose one of those instead of jumping a "known offender" on at least your maiden flights.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

plug:
atair canopies are ideal for wing suit flying. cobalts are designed for tracking deployments and their deployment sequence makes for safe soft, consistant openings without tendency to spin.
-------
robert (the designer of the birdman suits) has worked in our european factoy for many years. both he and jari jumped for many years exclusively our impulse (alpha) and troll canopies. jari switched main canopies (not base) when another company was able to offer a generous sposorship that promoted birdman suits.
sincerely,
dan

Jussi, would you reccommend a Xaos-21 (loaded around 2.0) for a new wingsuit flier? Mine opens softly, slowly and generally well behaved but will definately twist up if you don't fly the opening. If I buy a BM then a second canopy isn't affordable.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

like skymonkeyone said, i wouldn´t recommend xaos at least for the first jumps, Sabre is in my humble opinion one of the best choices for the new wingsuit jumpers...

In Finland you have to jump your five first BM jumps with a sabre like canopies, that was decided after some reserve rides....... good rule imo.

but when you get some experience with BM, i guess you could use your Xaos.

i don´t currently have a wingsuit, but i jumped with Stiletto, Sabre, Impulse, Velocity, had one reserve ride with the Impulse. Out of those, Sabre was my favorite on a wingsuit jump;)

get a Sabre:PB|

hope that helps

JFM

I looked for months for usable Spectre. Definetly my first choice. Never ever heard of a line over or unrecoverable twist with the verable seven cell. (Deep cell).

Settled for a big-ass sabre, like chuck, said, cheap, and near new. No problems so far, although the extra long bridle took some getting used to.

I am currently jumping a Safire loaded at 2.0:1 and have the best openings. I have jumped the Stiletto and the Cobalt with great success as well, but as you know, the Stiletto's are known to "twist up" on ya and it did just that for my first BM Mal. And as far as the Cobalt, well, I have had some bad luck with hard openings on those that Atair could not explain and I couldn't remedy so I no longer utilize the Cobalt, but everyone has different opinions on those anyway. As long as you are opening at a good alti, you have plenty of time to deal with the problems. I honestly believe that the spinner on the Stiletto was due to not having the Mod's on the container like I should have had. BUT, going with what Chuck said is never a bad idea! Wanted to include my experiences anyway!

Mine are blue and long, how are yours?

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"