Croc

pilot chute in tow

It seems like I'm always towing my pilot chute when I exit with a short delay. I lenghtened my closing loop once. Do most of you CRW dogs have looser than normal closing loops on your CRW rigs? This is on my Spectre with a 28" pilot chute. BTW I had an instructor watch it for me and this is definitely not hesitation-- the pin is in until almost terminal. I ordered a CF Storm with a 28" pilot chute. I'm wondering now if I should have ordered a bigger pilot chute.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Even containers that are closed very tightly rarely need more than 10 pounds of force to extract the pin. There should be almost no noticeable delay between reaching bridle extension and pin extraction. My container closes tightly and I have no problems with a 32" F-111 PC. A 28" ZP should be fine.

Some things to look for:
- Check the condition of the closing pin and grommet on the last flap. Damage can significantly increase the amount of force required to extract the pin.
- Ensure that there is adequate excess bridle between the pin and the container. The pin should clear the loop before bridle starts getting pulled from under flaps.
- If you use a kill-line collapsible pilot chute, make sure that the kill line hasn't shrunk excessively and that you aren't partially uncocking the PC while packing.

It seems like I'm always towing my pilot chute when I exit with a short delay. I lenghtened my closing loop once. Do most of you CRW dogs have looser than normal closing loops on your CRW rigs? This is on my Spectre with a 28" pilot chute. BTW I had an instructor watch it for me and this is definitely not hesitation-- the pin is in until almost terminal. I ordered a CF Storm with a 28" pilot chute. I'm wondering now if I should have ordered a bigger pilot chute.

Some advice:

1) Go to a pull out
2) Check to make sure your pilotchute is not worn, torn, or misrigged.
3) Do you really do crw at Franklin?
4) Check to make sure you aren't getting a lazy toss

Unless you or your gear is really wide, you shouldn't need a bigger pilotchute.

Jump more, post less!

I ordered a CF Storm with a 28" pilot chute. I'm wondering now if I should have ordered a bigger pilot chute.

Ordering a PC with a canopy? The PC belongs to the H/C.

How many jumps to you have on that PC? Is that the Spectre with the old PC?

I use a 24" ZP PC, I haven't got any hesitation.

Once I got hesitation with an old PC, than I got it replaced.

I've found that when I'm switching canopies in my container to do crw, I've experienced PC hesitation and even PC in tow. What I found was that when I was doing the switch, I was inadvertently uncocking the PC. Since I’ve been checking it more carefully, no more instances. B|

Anyway, check your PC before you jump. Make sure it is cocked all the way. Remember, even though it may work fine at 120-130 mph, sub-terminal deployment is another animal. :)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

pull out may be the way to go. Yes, three of us do CRW at Franklin, plus anyone else we can snag.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

about three hundred jumps on this PC. I didn't order the PC from PD, but I ordered it all from the same guy.

I do double check it. I'm thinking that I either have a wornout PC or just a crummy one. Thanks to everyone. Evidently something is wrong. I assume from your collective answers that no one has a loose closing loop.

Just to clarify--this is not hesitation. Several observers have noticed that my PC is fully inflated and the bridle is taut. It's a tow, for sure.

In my opinion a pull out is the way to go. Freefall or CRW.
If your rig isn't set up for a pull out, I can show you a couple ways to make a B.O.C pull out. I won't do freefall with it, but, it works great for CRW.
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58