bch7773

Getting the most glide out of a Triathalon

I have a used Triathalon 160 (loaded around 1.2), which I like, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the most glide out of it for long spots. I've had a few off DZ landings, and I was wondering what is the best way to get back to the DZ? Should I hang on front risers? Just let it do normal flight? Does going downwind or upwind change what I should do?

I know Triathalons sink when they are in deep brakes, so I won't do that, but every person who I've asked all give me different opinions of what I should do. and btw, I already searched the forum, and I emailed aerodyne, but they never replied.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Loosen your chest strap to the stop. This flattens the canopy making it glide better.

Pull down on the rear risers a bit instead of using brakes. You will have to make the call as to where max glide is for you w/ rear risers.

Look for thermals, sources of hot rising air from the ground. Usually a creek, road/ paved surface will generate some lift for you.

Keep in mind you still need to pick a safe landing area. If you realize you're still not going to make it back go to your safe alternate landing area.:)
Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Yes, spreading the rear risers and pulling them down A LITTLE helps. Triathlons just don't glide very far. Don't get stuck with 'get-home-itis' - it's a LOT better to land off then to pound in or land in an unsafe area and smack a fence (or car, or building.. you get the idea).
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Yes, spreading the rear risers and pulling them down A LITTLE helps. Triathlons just don't glide very far. Don't get stuck with 'get-home-itis' - it's a LOT better to land off then to pound in or land in an unsafe area and smack a fence (or car, or building.. you get the idea).

I completely agree with you on the home itis = BAD..
but will argue the " Triathlons just dont glide very far".....
If you take the time to know your canopy you can wring a lot better glide from it irregardless of what kind it is.... Several years ago I used a triathlon 135 loaded at 1.3 for tandem video's, we were always last out, sometimes a loooong ways from home, knowing how much to pull down the rear risers always got me there........ I highly reccomend CRW if you wish to learn the flight potential of you canopy...... Triathlon may not glide as well as say a stilletto, but will still get you farther if you know how......

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

[QUOTE]Loosening the chest strap is pointless unless you pull the slider down too.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? On my canopy I have a rather large slider, and it stays above the links, once I loosen my chest strap I can physically feel the canopy start to fly differently. Granted I have my chest strap CRANKED on me, and I really spread it, but its not like my slider is hindering it, its loose and collapsed.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Stow the slider, behind the head would be even better. Pull the rear risers down about 2 inces or until you feel your canopy flatten it's glide, pull your legs up and go small. doing this has gotten me back from quite a few long spots. Sometimes all the way back and sometimes close enough and over a good landing area. How far it'll fly back will also depend on the wind and where it's coming from relative to you, but you'll definitely get a pretty decent glide compared to if you did nothing and let it sink in.