keithbar

crw dogs what rig?

this may be a dumb question but. I know the lightning is the most popular canopy for crw. but is there a most popular harness/container ? I'm just thinking you guys spend so much time under canopy. you might have a opinon on the most comfortable rig under canopy. I know opionins are like assholes. and I'm sure some dz's lean towards one more than the other. but I just thought I would see what everyone thinks is the most comfortable rig once the parachute is open
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Most crwdogs I've seen use 2nd hand rigs for crw. I have seen many different brands. I have a Vector II that I used when I had a Lightning. It already had mods done to it to protect the reserve flap in case of entanglements. Normally, you'd want a rig that you can pack your Lightning in, without looking too scary. :P

Lightnings pack significantly bigger than most freefall canopies of the same square footage. I'm guessing about 20% bigger?

If you have a Lightning 143, you'll need a main pack tray that can take a Triathlon or Sabre 170 for example.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One that you won't mind sliding in on your ass... repeatedly.

And the lightning may not be the only canopy choice for CRW. Its what is used for big ways for sure but some fantastic teams have used CRW Triathalons for demo and competition, some other teams have used other brands and models. The Storm is proving popular now but not everybody is going to buy one right away. Most domestic CRW dogs have one or more lightning and it will remain popular for the big ways for some time.

hey billy. i haven't seen you sinse I fucked up the white balance on my camera on your 1,000th down at cullman . sorry about that. I guess I didn't make it clear. I'm only talking about comfort while hanging in the harness. not about what rig had the best crw mods but what rig was the most comfortable while under canopy for long periods. cross countrys or crw stuff like that
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Hello,

I really like my Mirage G3. Probabley just because up till now I have always borrowed old kit or rented and sometimes the leg strap buckles become worn and slip lose resulting in a very uncofortable deployment with the chest strap up by my nose!!!

The Advance containers have a cool buckle which has an extra backup spring system to prevent this from happening but makes getting them loose again a bit more fiddley.

Have you had a look at the legstraps on Paragliding kit? Those guys spend hours in the air.

good luck & best regards
Andy

hey billy. i haven't seen you sinse I fucked up the white balance on my camera on your 1,000th down at cullman . sorry about that. I guess I didn't make it clear. I'm only talking about comfort while hanging in the harness. not about what rig had the best crw mods but what rig was the most comfortable while under canopy for long periods. cross countrys or crw stuff like that

Oh yeah... well the thing to look for would be wide leg straps with a bit of padding in them. I forgot which rigs offer them. Otherwise I have to pull my knees up to a sitting position just to be half-way comfortable, when my feet are not in somebody's canopy or lines.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban