homer

Lightning 2 fact or fiction

So what’s the deal? For the life of me I cannot remember where I heard or read it but PD is looking to redesign the Lightning and fix the so called “landing issues” jumpers have been having. Sure the landings aren’t the greatest but the only time I don’t stand up on my 160 is on a no wind day and my feet can’t keep up. That’s only happened a hand full of times.

So am I just hearing things or is PD really thinking about it? If its true what’s it going to do with compatibility with existing lightnings?

CSA #699 Muff #3804

So what’s the deal? For the life of me I cannot remember where I heard or read it but PD is looking to redesign the Lightning and fix the so called “landing issues” jumpers have been having. Sure the landings aren’t the greatest but the only time I don’t stand up on my 160 is on a no wind day and my feet can’t keep up. That’s only happened a hand full of times.

So am I just hearing things or is PD really thinking about it? If its true what’s it going to do with compatibility with existing lightnings?

As per PD, the Storm is a new canopy that's designed for freefall, but happens to work well for CRW. Last week I was watching a PD test jumper pull a Storm out of a bag in Deland. I said "Hey isn't that the new CRW canopy?" He said No, that's a common misconception & basically told me it's a fun canopy that he can run into another jumper 2 or 3 cells off center and it sticks... without coming around.,, so yes it works for CF too. I'm currently on the waiting list for a demo... they're all loaned out right now

According to the PD website, there are two versions available; a fun version for the average skydiver and a serious CF version. The fun version is said to be an "upgrade" and perhaps even a replacement for the Spectre. The opening is supposed to be as soft as a Spectre, but not as snivelly. the flare is supposed to be more like a Sabre2.

Check out their website, they'ge got the Storm up now.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

According to some of the information on the PD website, I'm getting the impression that the Storm may be a better canopy for the newcomer to CRW - particularly with that casual CRW kit option.

Can anyone who has flown it give their impressions on it as a suitable canopy for someone during a person's first CRW coach jumps and on whether someone downsizing from a couple hundred jumps on a Sabre2-170 will find it a fun flying canopy or whether it may be a little tamer than they might be expecting?

So I guess the real question is:
When do we all put our Lightnings in mothballs and buy these?
Should we consider them for the 121 way?

Not likely to happen. I believe Lightnings will continue to be used for future world record and other big way diamond events. After all, its a tried and true product that the organizers have worked for years on. You'd be starting back at zero going with the new canopy.

That said, you might see the Storm used in other forms of CRW, say 4 way rotations or something? Is PD making the Storm in three versions like Aerodyne did with the Triathlon? RW, Hybrid and CRW?

Hell, I'm just guessing, I don't really know.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Is PD making the Storm in three versions like Aerodyne did with the Triathlon? RW, Hybrid and CRW?

Hell, I'm just guessing, I don't really know.

The PD web site sez you can get a CRew kit version that has continous center and outer A & B lines of dacron and the retractible bridle system, mesh slider and tail pocket along with all the standard free fall versions of bridle, D-bag and sail slider. But it sounds like all versions have a formed over nose.