skydivingdutch

Should I?

Anyway, is it really that bad to jump without an AAD?

Only if you need it. But seriously it's up to you whether you jump one or not.

A better question is, is the rig a good deal? Will it suit your needs. Does it fit good enough. Are the parachutes the right size.

What kind of container?
What kind of reserve?
What size reserve
What size canopies will it fit.
How much do you wiegh?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Just buy a Cypres separately.

There is nothing wrong with buying your components piece by piece.

There are many used units on the market now at good prices.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What kind of container?
What kind of reserve?
What size reserve
What size canopies will it fit.
How much do you wiegh?

would intrigue me to know too.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Its a refelx container. I forget what it's called, but the shoulder straps go down to a ring on the hip which are also connected to the leg straps (correct my newbie terminology here),
Maybe its not PD, but thats what sounds familiar.

I weigh 155, and Im jumping my DZ's Tri 160 (I almost have my A license), But im looking to downsize no too far from now.

The container fits a 135, but the current owner has an 88 in it. (dont know what make).

If I were to buy this, I woulnt use it just yet, wait till i can use and afford a 135 .a

http://dropman.com

I wouldt be using it right away, obviously, and the 88 main is not incuded in the deal.
So I woult have a container and reserve sitting around waiting for me to get experience and an A license if anything else.
I will practice with a 135 from my DZ later on after some more experience with the 160.

http://dropman.com

Oh yeah, one thing that I wanted to mention, that apears in almost all the threads asking for new rig advice, advice about deals, and things like that.

make sure you talk to your AFF/IAD/SL/whatever instructor at your DZ about what your planing to get because they often know the best deals in the area as well as how well your flying under canopy and can help you select the right deal/gear based on that as well.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Cypres, see this current thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=650224;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

To see if a 135 will be right for you, ask the Instructors at your DZ.
(Long nothing)
BUT if you are jumping a 160 now, don't go to a 135 straight, take a 150 inbetween.

I think 150 might be better for you for now, and 150s are fun to fly and always widely available at a reasonable price.;)
I made about 250 jumps on my 150 and it was good doing that.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

So I woult have a container and reserve sitting around waiting for me to get experience and an A license if anything else.

How long do you want the gear sitting around? Most people would not suggest that you downsize for at least another 150 jumps, and probably not to a 135 at that point. You should also find out what size and type that reserve is -- if it is a MicroRaven, you are likely overloading it, at least according to the manufacturer.

As to your question about the Cypress, I would not hesitate to jump without one, if mine were out for calibration check or something, but I wouldn't prefer to make a habit of it. If they didn't exist (as used to be), it wouldn't slow me down. But they do exist, so I use one.

You might be better off to find a container that
can accomodate the 160, but still be small enough to get you down to a 135.

I understand about the 88 but seriously that 135 will suck big time if you need it.

If you have it just sitting around, what are you going to jump in the mean time?

I weigh 155 and have jumped the 135 a couple times. 135 at your weight will become VERY exciting when you have to land it in a back yard between the porch and the swing set.

It's little. I'm an AFF instructor with a bunch of jumps and I've landed off in a wide variety of circumstances. Landing off on a small f-111 7 cell with a short control range with out many jumps kinda blows. Also it's pretty common to find yourself much lower then you really want to be so control checks are often over looked on a reserve.

Please don't think I'm picking on your jump numbers. We all started with none.

My last reserve landing was on a small reserve. I planted myself in a field next to a grain silo. I didn't get hurt but I sure got dirty. I upsized my reserve after that jump. It took all my skill to land it but all my skill was not available because I wasn't as current as I was the year before.

Something to think about.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It wont be sitting around for long, and I will probably let the DZ use it in the meantime anyway.

But this thread is about this combo being a good deal, not if I can land in someone's back yard.

Letting the DZ use it, in exchange for them letting you use various larger rigs, could be a reasonable deal all around.

Hookit's point, which you seemed to have missed, was that a 135 reserve made from F-111 material is seriously too small for you. It's also too small for me, even though I have 3100 jumps and weigh 142 pounds, plus gear.

Check out PD's weight chart vs. experience for their reserve sizes:
http://www.performancedesigns.com/reserve.htm

These are exit weights, including gear, clothes, RW weights, etc., not just your body weight. You are in the Novice category. Even when you pass Intermediate and enter Advanced, PD recommends at least a 143 reserve for you.

The MicroRaven 150 has a maximum suspended weight of 146 pounds, according to the Square1 web site, and the MR135 a maximum of 131.

So be sure what you are getting before you buy it. Sure, people routinely exceed the rated or recommended weights, and usually get away with it, but it's really a bad idea.

But this thread is about this combo being a good deal, not if I can land in someone's back yard.

Weather or not the container and/or reserve is suitable to your experience level is part of what makes this harness/container/reserve a good deal or not. A XRS/PD-113R for $200 is a great deal for Hookitt, but a poor deal for someone without 500+ jumps on something a little bigger.

The temptation to jump a rig you have promised yourself will sit in the closet 'until you are ready' is too much for most people. It is a slippery road that is all too easy to go down.

Pass this deal up. There will be a better deal very soon.

Derek

You have already decided it is a sweet deal.

I have been offered a container & Reserve for $800, its a sweet deal, but it has no AAD (is Cypress ready tho).

Your only question was:

Anyway, is it really that bad to jump without an AAD?

You don't seem to know much about the harness/container and even less about the reserve, other than the price, yet have decided it is a sweet deal and want confirmation here. You don't even seem to know what your own thread is about. From your original post, all you really asked is if it is that bad to jump without an AAD. Do a search. That topic has been discussed, at length, many times.
alan

I put a Sabre 135 in it and jumped it twice today, man its fun.

And I'll bet you landed in straight in and had some wind. That's like a 1.3 wingloading. You have how many jumps?

Hope you still think it's fun after someone cuts you off on final and you have to turn to avoid a collision... or when you find yourself landing downwind and you're too low to turn.... or when Joe Bob's spotting ability proves to be less than stellar and you have to land in a neighborhood...

Think you can land that canopy safely in no wind? How about downwind in a 5mph breeze? How about crosswind? Know how to flat and flare turn? How about landing it downhill?

There was a girl at Rantoul demoing a smaller canopy than she normally jumps, opened at normal altitude, had a mal., finally got it cut away, and ended up having to land in the backyard of a sub-division (about 10 square feet of yard). She landed about 15 feet up in a tree and fell to the ground. Needless to say she fractured many bones in her body. Micro canopies are great as long as you are landing perfectly, but like the last post said, when someone cuts you off, or you find yourself downwind and too low to change direction, or you have an off DZ landing, you would give both balls to have a lot more material above your head! Swooping in to look cool like your friends will not look so cool out the window of a hospital, or even worse, your friends may be looking down on you as you lie in your casket. Down sizing too fast is and can be deadly!

In reading this thread, I was wondering what DZ would give a person with 25 jumps a 135. I took a look at his profile, and I think his home DZ is the one that keeps crashing airplanes for one reason or another. I guess they take care of their students the same way they take care of their airplanes.

If I am wrong about this DZ being the one with the airplane problems, I apoligize. Even if their aircraft are well maintained, they still aren't doing their students any favors.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a complete rig w/ a Tempo 150 and a Sabre 135, watch the classifieds for the "Injury Forces Sale" ad that should be coming soon.

LOL - I was just thinking the same thing.

watch the classifieds for the "Injury Forces Sale" ad that should be coming soon.

If the jumper is lucky enough to post the thread.

The S&TA should be ashamed and so should the "instructor" (sic) that sold it to him.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team