Barry13

CRW Camps/Boogies

Hi,

I'm planning to take a holiday in the USA to do some CRW. I have only done 25 CRW jumps but am keen to take a 2 week holiday and do as much jumping as I can. I am keen to get some coaching as well.
Can someone give me some advise on where go - or which DZs to talk to ?

Thanks Barry

I suggest you spend 10 days at the World Freefall convention. July 21-30th. There will be CRW every single day. Starting first thing in the morning with jumps out of Mike Mullin's King Air and ending each day with a sunset CRW load.

In between, we'll be doing CRW and jumping out of everything under the sun.

We may even be able to do some CRW out Perris Valley's Jet.

Then, for the remaining four days of your trip. Head up to Skydive Chicago on July 30th, for their Summerfest boogie. There will be CRW at this event, as well.

Email me if you want further suggestions for midwest day trips.

Blue skies,
Jim

I suggest you spend 10 days at the World Freefall convention. July 21-30th. There will be CRW every single day. Starting first thing in the morning with jumps out of Mike Mullin's King Air and ending each day with a sunset CRW load.

In between, we'll be doing CRW and jumping out of everything under the sun.

We may even be able to do some CRW out Perris Valley's Jet.

Then, for the remaining four days of your trip. Head up to Skydive Chicago on July 30th, for their Summerfest boogie. There will be CRW at this event, as well.

Is there going to be any official organizing at either of these events? I might be able to find a few days off to come down, but I'm a newbie (25 jumps, mostly self-taught), and I don't own a Lightning.

Hi,

I'm planning to take a holiday in the USA to do some CRW. I have only done 25 CRW jumps but am keen to take a 2 week holiday and do as much jumping as I can. I am keen to get some coaching as well.
Can someone give me some advise on where go - or which DZs to talk to

You don't say when you'll be in the neighborhood, but, we do CRW at Perris most every week end. Two big CRW camps at Perris in Sept.
They do a lot of CRW at Lodi, California. Then there's Lake Wales in Florida, a couple places in Texas....

CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

far and away, the best place to find good / consistent CReW is Florida ( sad but true since i love in So. Cal.)

Lake Wales / Sebastian / Z hills are the Meccas of CReW in the US.
contact Wendy, the moderator of this forum to be put on the CReWDOGS email list server for more current info.

Florida jumps will probably be weekend only, as will most every other DZ.

The FF convention does offer the chance to jump every day
but.................................................................
most CReW folk i've talked to over the years have been disappointed by both the quantity and quality of CReW there.
it's not called the FF convention for nothing :P

be safe
kleggo

most CReW folk i've talked to over the years have been disappointed by both the quantity and quality of CReW there.

I think that Jim Rasmussen and his folks have been trying to change that. My understanding is that they have had a lot of good jumps and spread a lot of good CRW vibes there in the last couple of years.

Kevin

Having been to the WFFC a number of years now, I think I can accurately describe the CRW there, the last few years, as... sucky.

Well, if not sucky... Let's just say insufficient. Mostly due to Lack of People To Do CRW With.

CRW participation at the convention has been in decline for a number of years, kind of like the convention itself.

But, I'm kinda partial to the WFFC and so I'm going to keep going, and keep trying to get more folks to do CRW there.

They treat us really well. The layout is perfect for CRW. The other attractions are numerous. The aircraft are always available.
The weather is generally excellent.

So, to solve the participant problem, I've decided to bring along my own group CRWdogs.
We have a group of six or seven CRWdogs coming from our DZ. Mostly newer folks.
I've volunteered to organize, once again.

So, we'll be doing CRW every day, starting early and finishing late. We'll have a CRW/Seven Hills Skydivers Tent set up on
the main drag. We are still looking for appropriate (and tasteful) Toadsucker decorations.

My favorite CRW memories from the WFFC.

My first big way CRW (with Mike Lewis, who let me on a 17 way when I had like 10 crw jumps)
Meeting Wendy for the first time.
My first wrap (with two cutaways, and Luigi Cani to film the whole thing)
Meeting Micheal Fedak for the first time.
Jumping with Mark, Kenny and the 'Triathlon Row'
Meeting Frank Bender for the first time (and then having like ten people walk up to me and tell me "Don't let him scare you off").
Watching Chico's death-defying wrap/reserve mal, on video in the big tent (with Chico).
Meeting Bill Runyon for the first time.
Attempting a birdman/CRWdog flyby/intentional cutaway (what didn't we do on that jump).
Getting on Mike Mullin's early load and doing CRW from 14,000 ft, finishing up with a downplane directly over the food tent.

Blue skies,
Jim

Below is off of Wendy's calendar. They may have more information at Perris's site: http://www.skydiveperris.com/expert.html

Crazy CRW

DATES 9-10 Sept - Perris Valley Skydiving - Perris CA
Organizers Ken Oka & Frank Lupica
This will be the 8th Annual Crazy CRW week end at Perris. As in the past this will be a camp for beginners and experenced alike.

The beginners will sit thru a CRW safety briefing then do one on one with an experenced CRW Dog. As the beginner progress' they will move up to bigger and more challenging dives. Often many beginners earn their USPA 4-Stack and some their 8-Stack Awards.

The experienced Dogs will be doing challenging dives including but not limited to: flying pieces, pull out dives, rotes and whatever else they can think of.

START TIME: will be 8:00 both days.

ATTENTION: Beginners must commit to a minium of three jumps to participate in Crazy CRW. There will be a mandatory CRW Safety briefing for the beginners 8:00-9:30 each day.

CAMP COST
Registration fee $25.00
Jump ticket $23.00 (current Perris prices)

As in the past Crazy CRW leads to:

BIG WAY SKILLS CAMP!

DATES 14-17 Sept - Perris Valley - Perris CA
Organizer- Mike Lewis
This will be a camp designed to learn/improve/retain our big way skills, learn new techniques, find out what works and what doesn't.
This camp always has some very innovative and technically challanging dives, don't be on the fence for this one.

START TIME: 9:00 14 Sept.

CAMP COSTS
REGISTRATION $50.00
JUMP TICKET $23.00

If you are planning on flying in the nearest airport is Ontario appox 45 min from the DZ. There is also LAX and John Wayne, both are about 90 min. away.

There are plenty of motels around the DZ a few are:

Days Inn (about 1mi. from the DZ) 951-943-5577
Week days $59.99 single $69.99 double
Week ends $69.99 " $ 79.99 "

Best Value Inn (about 5mi.) 888-672-1861
Week days $43.00 single $48.00 double
Week ends $60.50 " $60.50 "

Roadside Inn (about 5mi.) 951-242-0699
Week days $74.99 single $84.99 double
Week ends $74.99 " $74.99 "

On the DZ there is the bunkhouse $8.00/nite on the IHOP $12.00/nite Get with the DZ on availability of these at SkydivePerris
Linda Lu
CRW Diva #73

Skyfish,
The Crazy CRW part of the Perris Camp is not only suitable, it is designed for newbies! I highly recommend going to that. Depending on progress, some newbies from Crazy CRW can go on to participate in some of the remainder of the camp.
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan