docskydive

CRW canopies and loading

Is there a general guide to other CRW disciplines?

For 2 way i jump @1.7ish.

Is the general thinking for rots as high as possible? What about 4way sequential? I have never done it before. Would they want to be going a little slower for that?

the guys I jump with all jump lightnings loaded between 1.35 and 1.45 (higher for rotation).

I think Wendy listed the range for sequential.

For rotations, I'm thinking the triathlon's are actually better (but what do I know). They can definitly dive better at a lower wing loading than lightnings.

Check out videos of the russians and you'll see them work their magic.

Last year the russian rotation team were jumping triathlon 99's loaded at 2.0 but having seen video of a couple of training jumps on these i did not see much difference from when they were jumping triathlon 120's as they were still hitting the 21/22 mark before.

I think they may well be using 120's for sequential and 8-way.

plastic

For big way stuff, Lightnings at 1.3-1.375 wingloading (which includes gear) is the gold standard....

Now, that that change by canopy size as you go larger/smaller?

For example, I load a 190 at about 1.4.

Would a canopy that large at 1.4 fly well with a smaller canopies loaded at 1.3? Or would I have to go up a bit in size to get to the 1.3 range, or perhaps down to have the sizes closer together or something?

For everyday CRW that shouldn't be a problem at all. The only time we really pay strict to wing-loadings are at world record camps and such where wing-loading is much more critical...

For people jumping with teams, most teams load their canopies higher than the big-way/casual CRW jumper... All that matters so much there is that you match your team!

W

Thanks much!
There's about 8 of us thinking of making a canopy change..appreciate your input.

be safe

kleggo

Last year the russian rotation team were jumping triathlon 99's loaded at 2.0 but having seen video of a couple of training jumps on these i did not see much difference from when they were jumping triathlon 120's as they were still hitting the 21/22 mark before.

Woa. Sounds like a REALLY high loading (and barely landable?) for a Tri....but what do I know.