kappengrapscher

Accident in Empuria!?!

I got an E-Mail form someone who had a phone conversation with one of the Empuriabrava(sp?) participants. The E-Mail stated that Tamsin could not be revived after being pulled from the water. It also said that Maria had a broken leg, was top docked and landed alive.

I've just spoken to Gordon Hodgkinson, who has just visited Maria in hospital.
She hasn't broken any bones. She has bruising to her legs and torso, and was kept in overnight for observations because she'd been unconscious. They've done some blood tests, and if the results are okay she may be discharged today. There is a slight concern over some abdominal pain, but they think that this is external bruising rather than an internal injury. If it gets worse, or if the blood tests aren't good the they may take her to another hospital for an ultrasound, but the general feeling is that she's going to be okay.

It appears that one of the instructors attempted to top-dock Taz, but this was almost impossible because one of Taz's brakes was off, causing the canopy to turn. Taz landed in the sea about 50 yards from the shore and the instructor landed as close as possible on the beach.
The instructor and a boat were with Taz very quickly and CPR was administered until the emergency services arrived.
There were no life signs at all, and it's assumed that Taz died before landing in the sea.

I can't begin to express my sorrow at the loss of such a great friend and a wonderful bubbly person. I can't imagine how Gav is feeling right now, but my thoughts are with him.

Pete.

I heard the news from my team camerman pd who was in spain with the rest of my 8 way team. I am on vacation in turkey having decided again to pass on empuria.

I coached taz from the very beginning of her cf career over 4 years ago along with her partner gav. both became great members of my 8 way team and have seen them both develop into first class cf jumpers both becoming national champions and world record holders as well as great friends. maria also a great firend and team mate for more than 3 years now.

Taz will be greatly missed by all of us but my thoughts are with her partner gavin and maria who i hope will make a speedy recovery.

this is a devastating blow to myself and the whole team.

best wishes to all and blue skies to taz.

plastic

Maria is now out of hospital. She's finding it difficult to walk because of the bruising. The hospital weren't able to supply her with crutches, but the other guys in the team are taking care of her.

She'll be flying home tomorrow evening, on her scheduled return flight.

Pete.

This is a message for those who report incidents, or details of incidents on dropzone.com. In these days of wireless access dropzones, email and SMS we may know the news within minutes, and it only takes a moment to pass it on here.

I understand your desire to share the information promptly with the skydiving family - afterall we are one big family. But there is usually another family involved - the real family.

It may take several hours to track down all the family members - who may be in meetings, driving out of mobile phone coverage, on vacation, or otherwise uncontactable.

All those who lose someone close will remember forever the moment they first heard the news...try to play your part in ensuring that they hear it the right way, from the right person.

If you don't know what's going on tracking the family down then don't be the one to provide details. PLEASE.

Blue skies!
Gordon
Beware of advice from those with more posts than jumps ;-)

I can only reinforce Gordons point here, Taz' mother had the news men ringing her up only a coulpe of hours after she found out the news that Taz had died. I would hate to hear that sort of news from the press.

We need to give time for the authorities to pass on the message to the loved ones, 12 hours delay is not going to make any difference to the forum.

PD.Smith

hear hear.

It is very unfortunate that journalists regularly read this forum, and that we cannot track news amongst skydiving friends without significant consequences and media attention. In reality this is not just a skydivers forum, it is a journalists resource.

The newspapers finding out before family and friends has been extremely distressing.

Maybe this is the best thing we can all learn from these tragic events. We all want to be the first to know, the first to hear, the first to know the gossip - but come on guys, lets grit our teeths, make a conscious effort, and do the right thing in future?

All those who lose someone close will remember forever the moment they first heard the news...try to play your part in ensuring that they hear it the right way, from the right person.

Gordon you are absolute right! At that moment I didn't think about the consequences you describe. I regret the post and apologize for it!

Nevertheless it makes me very sad and miserable when I think about what happened in Empuria!

My deepest condolences to Gavin and Taz' family!