skypuppy

question on rotation technique

I feel real dumb asking this question, but it's bugged me for awhile. Looking at Tom's website, ozcrw I see that he is recommending the pilot start sliding back up the lines before rotating, my question is, during your stacks are you no longer taking your feet out and putting them below the slider of the people below you?

You mean you're just sliding down the lines till you hit the top of the slider and staying there till the poeople above have rotated, then sliding back up yourself?

Do you not have problems with your backpack catching on the canopy when you slide up again before leaving?

Rob
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Short answers since we've already discussed my typing skills :P

1. We try to never put our feet below the slider. While in the stack we have out hands outstreched above us holding the A lines just below the line attachment points. Our feet end up wherever depending upon individual reach / height.
We try for line docks, ( slider just below the feet, bottom skin just above the hands), not slider docks. Anytime spent below the slider is time better spent doing other things.

2. Yes occasionally you will get caught on the bottom skin of the leading edge. You can reduce the chance of this occurence by "scrunching" you head down and forward while forcing your elbows away from and behind your shoulders as you pass your melon past the leading edge.

remember to go up the lines gently. Slamming your feet into their line attachment point imparts energy into the stack and that's a no-no.

further info available telephonically
be safe

kleggo

Thats right, feet below the slider is not necessary as there is (sorry should) be very little tension in the formation.

Docking presenting the lines with forward and a little upwards momentum is the key here, a hard docking with downwards or sideways momentum can stretch the formation out, but even if that happens remember the head does not have to be below the canopy as when doing the plane in 8-way speed, so you will not bust but it does mean the next guy to rotate will have further to go.

Another tip, when the pilot is sliding up, dont rush and start sliding up until the guy who has just left the top is clear, i have seen some nasty wraps when the top guy clips the canopy or even pilot chute when he leaves the top and stalls the formation out.

Also, yes i have had problems with my riser covers catching on the canopy above when "sliding up" that was due to the shape of the riser cover "tuck tabs" a new rig solved that problem but another option is to leave the riser covers tucked in and lay the main risers over the top of them.

I also believe that it may be possible to buy a rig without main riser covers (this is a just for crw rig) but i cannot for the life of me remember where i saw this or who made it.

plastic

You mean you're just sliding down the lines till you hit the top of the slider and staying there till the poeople above have rotated, then sliding back up yourself?
I, myself, don't slide down the lines. I take the dock presented and deal with it. If it's a riser dock, I'll grab a center A line (I prefer both but, Hey, whatever I can get), lift my feet a little (above the slider) and hold it there, if it's at my waist I'll hold it there. IMHO, the more you go up OR down just makes it harder for the person docking.
Remember, sliding up to pilot, be gentle don't stab the brakes. Gentle, otherwize you pull the formation up and make #4 look bad
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58