BillyVance

Had a little fun at the DZ last Sunday

Had a little fun, and excitement at the DZ last Sunday.

I was the pilot of a 3 stack that transitioned into a drag-plane. Yeah, I owe beer as that was my first drag-plane formation! On that same jump, I took my DZO in a 2 stack almost all the way down to 50 feet AGL, then broke and we landed side-by-side. Can't wait to get the pictures. B|

The next jump was a 4 stack. The 4th guy was trying to dock on the 3 stack, but he came in too fast as the formation was trying to turn (my DZO, below me, was telling me to turn towards the DZ), and snagged the 3rd guy's reserve pop-top and deployed the reserve... while he was still in the stack! :o The DZO dropped him cleanly and he cutaway cleanly before the reserve fully extricated itself. He was jumping a Reflex container, not the best of containers for CRW due to the exposed pop top...

Man was that fun or what? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

He was jumping a Reflex container, not the best of containers for CRW due to the exposed pop top...

Which begs the question - why was he doing CRW with it? [:/]
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

I did my first downplane last saturday......
also I lost my first shoe in the process............

That's two cases.... I'll drink Corona

I already bought mine for when I did my first, and I didn't loose my shoe.

Start learning your rigger knots and tie em on. ;)

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Corona it is! I'll have to keep all my old shoes from now on.

:D Whenever I go do CRW, I always take an extra pair of shoes along. You never know when you might lose one. So far I haven't... knock on wood... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

perhaps because that is the only container he has?
perhaps because he was hoping to have his reserve unpacked for him?
perhaps because he did not consider it an issue?
perhaps because he did not consider it at all?

hard to say without directly asking the person involved.

be safe

kleggo

perhaps because that is the only container he has?
perhaps because he was hoping to have his reserve unpacked for him?
perhaps because he did not consider it an issue?
perhaps because he did not consider it at all?

hard to say without directly asking the person involved.

be safe

kleggo

Well, if I'm not mistaken, our very own moderator jumps a Racer with a similar style pop top and she's a world class crwdog.

Beats me... I think the Reflex rig was his only one.

Whenever I go do CRW, I always take an extra pair of shoes along. You never know when you might lose one. So far I haven't... knock on wood... :P

Me too. Cept for the time I got to the far side of the country with nothing but a pair of loafers. Walmart was my friend that day.
CRW Diva #9
D-25905

I've never had a problem with any of my Racers, but I can think of multiple instances right offhand where Reflexes had premature reserve launches. I think its something about the one pin system is easier to pull accidently than the 2..

W

You're most likely right about that. I was watching the whole thing unfold, and it didn't take much to rip it off. The guy didn't even get turned around but maybe 45 degrees by the snag, and all of a sudden I see the white bridle trailing behind him. Then again, the edges of his pop-top don't really stick out that much. I was surprised it happened.