homer

Experienced Dogs- minimum skills for CReW camps?

I'm kinda new to CReW I have only a dozen or so jumps most 3-way rotation. My question for all you experienced dogs is this- at what ability/ skill level would you give your blessings to a student of yours to attend some of these CReW camps. Are they the types of camps that a person with no skill could attend?

I have only done about 10- 12 CReW jumps again mostly 3-way rotations. I'm still doing the sashay(?) and not yet rotating over the top. I haven't done any corner docking yet and my docking from below is a bit slow (me coming from below, coach locking onto me). I feel I need more skill before attending such a camp. What do you all think?

If it helps my teachers are Vern Bates & Ken Smith.

I'm currently deployed to the mid-east (heading home next month) so it wouldn't be till next year before I would attend such a camp.

Scott

CSA #699 Muff #3804

CRW Dogs will never turn away anybody looking to get into this discipline; the dive plan will be adjusted to accommodate the skill set involved. Having said that, I'd suggest any of the beginner camps as a start; you'll get more out of the experience. Keep up the 2 & 3 ways, they're great drill dives no matter what your level of experience.

Oh yeah, welcome to the Dark Side.B|

I'm still doing the sashay(?) and not yet rotating over the top.

What's wrong with sashays? That's how our national team does is, and I don't think I've seen any top team recently doing otherwise (can be wrong though).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You are perfectley right saskia.All the competitionteams use a sideways move to rotaste.Altough over the top is oldfashioned it is still fun and done in the proper way can be scarryB|
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

.Altough over the top is oldfashioned it is still fun and done in the proper way can be scarryB|

It's A LOT of FUN!!!! B|B|B| Sasheying is very important to know, and be able to do well. Nothing wrong with that at all, at least I haven't found anything wrong with it! :)
CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I thank you all for your info I will keep up the practice and in the not so distant future plan to attend a camp.

Oh, What is a good wing load? I'm 170, 190 out the door and I have been jumping a 143 lightning. Do you think a 160 would be a better choice as I won't be descending as fast with the lighter wing load. I tend to have a problem with being a bit low when rotating to bottom. Q- what is the best way to get the needed lift when a little low -rear risers or a little toggle flair? I tend to use the rear risers.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

From what I've been told, I wingloading of 1.3ish is desired. I have jumped a 160 Lightning the most, and I'm 215-220 out the door.

I have tried to sashay many times and cannot get it down. I've had most success with over the top rotations. Hard toggle, front riser dive.

The wingload best for skillcamps I suppose would be a wingload that everybody else is flying but also one that you can handle (for instance our rotation team jumps at close to 1:2.0, uhuh:S so when I filmed them I only went to 1.3 and stuck to the burble like hell).
Generally 1.3-1.4 I think, or what everybody else is flying.... We sometimes mix lightnings and triathlons, rotation trim and sequential trim, and slightly different wingloads too... Usually it kinda works too ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The 143 is a good canopy for your weight. If you're getting too low on your rotations, try a higher approach and fly in with front risers, or you can fly directly behind the stack (straight in, not at an angle) and allow the burble of the stack to kill altitude to get to your slot.

Rear risers= more speed, less lift

Brakes= less speed, more lift

If you've got a slow moving target, use brakes. If you've got a fast moving target, use risers. If it's really fast, stay high and use front risers.

If you've been jumping with Vern and Ken, you are fine for coming out to play with the recreational CRW set up all over.

Vern's moved off to Utah now, but I was also lucky enough to develop some rudimentary CRW skills from him, Ken, and BJ Alexander. Not a bad set of coaches. B|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)