Bolas

Dogs and Frogs Invade Chester

I know they're toads, but that didn't rhyme. ;)

I did a a CReW camp at Skydive Carolina, Chester, SC. (my home DZ) did a CReW camp last weekend.
Frank, Elizabeth, Buzz, Chris, Reger, Steve, and Nina (Boinky)all took people from 50 - 7000+ jumps out.

They gave us Lightnings to use and coaching for only a $35 registration!!! When I told some of friends at the DZ about the camp, they mentioned they would have done it if they realized how inexpensive it was. So info for the person organizing the next camp wherever: make sure the DZ includes the price and all you get in their advertising. I didn't know how much it was gonna be either, just knew it was something I wanted to try.

I like to dump high sometimes and play with my canopy and occasionally go out with others and say we'd bump endsails and fly right next to each other but it didn't ever happen.

I even got my :D 4 stack, only took 3 ringers!!! :)I even stood up my Lightning after only 3 jumps!!!

I also had 2 off airport landings in one day which I had never done in the 2 years I have jumped there. We were just having too much fun. There is tons of farmland around so it's no issue finding a spot to land, just watch out for cow pies. :)
I love being docked on and sliding down, too cool. Buzz and I had a 2 stack that he spiraled hard, that was awesome as well. I half thought about yelling "Drop me, Drop me" when in the spin. :)I need to work on my docks alot. I need to be more aggressive (Although I did get complimented by Frank on having one of the nicest softest docks he's felt in a while.

Am I hooked? Maybe, I'm kind of a generalist when it comes to skydiving, I want to do/try it all. I definitely like the canopy control aspect. Besides ya'll get up WAY early. :)
Thanks again everyone for the kick ass weekend.

The scores:
CReW jumps: 6
Standups: 3
Off landings: 2
2 stacks: 4
4 stacks: 1
Smiles: lots

P.S. Boinky, can you help me get this air out of my canopy? :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Randy,
I think that you spell that DAWGS..
Lots of fun. Hats off to all. The most amazing thing for me was seeing the dedication of these guys. All their effort, time and money, just to help newbies get into the sport of CRW. Other skydiving disciplines should take note.
Thanks Guys

How do ya like it Johnny?

It was 50% Toadsucker so I'm not one yet.

You know, I'm pretty sure they told you that there were other ways to become a TOADSUCKER, right? :)

I half thought about yelling "Drop me, Drop me" when in the spin.

You know, you should have done it, or at least talked to someone on the ground so that they would do this for you on the next jump. When Chris Warnock and I are jumping together, after our hard deck for new docks, he keeps me a little longer, weaving around, spiraling, etc. He waves bye and slings me off the end. It's greater than any roller coaster I've ever been on.

P.S. Boinky, can you help me get this air out of my canopy?

Hmmm.....Was I not enough help to you this weekend? I'm sure it's something you won't soon forget. I know I enjoyed it immensely. :ph34r: :$

Thanks for a great time!

Nina
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I also had a great time in Chester this past weekend. Everyone there was very nice. While I was there to help in any way needed, I was there to learn also. I have A LOT to learn!

It was so wonderful to see how enthused and determined everyone was at the camp. It reminds me of me, as I get excited by the simplest things (thanks for the "assistant T-shirt, Elizabeth & Frank).

On one jump, we were doing rotations and James got two docks. The joy on his face when he talked about it afterwards was priceless.

And Randy, what have we learned about celebrating our stand up landings before we get into the hangar? B|

I loved helping everyone pack their canopies. It was nice to know that I have an invaluable asset!

I hope everyone who attended the camp will consider doing more CRW in the future. We need more folks to cross over to the Dark Side.

Nina Tharp
Nina

What?!?!?! Boinky's 300th?

We missed a pieing?

Hey, there WAS a reason I only told 2 people. ;)

Besides, Chris told me I shouldn't celebrate until I hit 1000. :D

Nina
Nina

I was there with my boy Steve. We were both so stoked on the way up but we did leave with some high expectations. We were not one bit disappointed. The camp in my opinion was a great success teaching me so much more about canopies and flying them in formation (or not).

The instructors were all very experienced, they supplied lightings appropriatly sized for the pilot and worked there best to match wingloadings for the most effective jumps.

For what we got, Id expect to pay alot more.

Both Steve and I are really looking forward to doing some more crw in the near future.

If any you dogs are in FL and want to have some fun you know how to find me.

I highly recommend the course.

Derek

It really was a great weekend at Skydive Carolina! With the wide range of skill, time in the sport and number of jumps there were so many good elements of the CRW Camp!

I know that Frank, Chris, Buz, Nina, Steve and Reger had a blast with all of you that signed up and participated. We are both so pleased to hear that you are glad you took part!

I know he's got his own thoughts to share later so I'm going to end with my special thanks to all of you....both the CRW Dogs that came to give their time and friendship and the terrific participants that are our new CRW friends!

I am going to post a group photo for everyone and hope that other CRW Dogs will make these new CRW Pups welcome at a DZ they run into them and encourage them to grab nylon again soon!

...CRW Pups...
James LeBarrie
Randy Johnson
Derek Boxwell
Steve Vogdes
Johnny Mauney
Steve Vaughn
Brenda Kramar
Judy Girard
Dean Hallal (not in photo)

...CRW Dogs-Coaches...
Frank Fowler
Chris Warnock
Jim "Buz" Walton
Steve Fennell
Bob Reger
Nina Tharp AKA Packing Maven AKA Awesome Helper

It was 50% Toadsucker so I'm not one yet.

You know, I'm pretty sure they told you that there were other ways to become a TOADSUCKER, right? :)

I half thought about yelling "Drop me, Drop me" when in the spin.

You know, you should have done it, or at least talked to someone on the ground so that they would do this for you on the next jump. When Chris Warnock and I are jumping together, after our hard deck for new docks, he keeps me a little longer, weaving around, spiraling, etc. He waves bye and slings me off the end. It's greater than any roller coaster I've ever been on.

P.S. Boinky, can you help me get this air out of my canopy?

Hmmm.....Was I not enough help to you this weekend? I'm sure it's something you won't soon forget. I know I enjoyed it immensely. :ph34r: :$

Thanks for a great time!

Nina

I don't want to speak before the TOAD Tribunal considers the matter, but I'm guessing phone sex doesn't count. ;)

Michael

I don't want to speak before the TOAD Tribunal considers the matter, but I'm guessing phone sex doesn't count.

Michael

Michael, haven't we told you to stop having phone sex with the new pups?

Nina Tharp AKA Packing Maven AKA Awesome Helper

Elizabeth, you are SUCH a sweetie!

Nina
Nina

I had a great weekend at Skydive Carolina and send my praises out to all the CRW Pups that attended, you are all why many of us love to teach CRW to eager and responsive newbies. All of you were so easy to teach and I hope that many of you continue so we see you at future events!

Thank You Randy, Steve V #1, Steve V #2, Derek, Dean, Johnny, Judy, Brenda and James --it was a pleasure.

Many thanks also to Buz, Chris, Nina, Steve and Reger for their support and for spending a wonderful, sunny weekend with Elizabeth & I in Chester, SC. I am thrilled that I simply asked for help and my CRW buddies/family came to give it, you all gave this camp so much that the participants could learn something from and as a result of what we did there most if not all of them hopefully will want to do CRW again!

Camp Summary --

With (9) registered attendees, the (3) instructors and (3) back-up CRW Dogs made 11-13 jumps each, with zero wraps, one slow-speed collision when a pup tried to dock on a 6-stack --he shot an approach to the pilot (Buz) who had four others below him. The dock was at a 45 degree angle and only resulted in the bottom three dropping off in an orderly fashion.

We had two very talented women jumping 113s. Both of whom are quite experienced freefallers (1500-5500 jumps), and seem rather interested in furthering their CRW skills. They both demonstrated an ability to work up to being on the women's world record, if they get some more training and experience in the coming year.

Out of the remaining jumpers, there may be three or four who will seek more CRW experience, 2-3 who may become part of the CRW Dog brethren.

Quotes from the Camp Instructors --

"We had some of the most naturally talented CRW-pups I have encountered in my 7 years of teaching CRW camps."

"I am very hopeful that the two female CRW pups decide to train for the Women's World record. They have the talent ... all they need is to dedicate the time."

"Off DZ landings are fairly common in beginner camps, despite perfect spotting. But when you know how to fly your canopy (the greatest skill taught at these camps), and how each minor input (toggles, rear-risers, front risers ... or any combination) affects the flying characteristics of that canopy ... off DZ landings are not a major concern."

"The staff of Skydive Carolina, the other jumpers and the whuffos were extremely polite, helpful and accommodating to our needs and desires. They made me feel as welcome as if I were at my home DZ."

"I would love to return to Skydive Carolina to teach another beginner's CRW camp, or even an intermediate-level camp."

"The 'No-Wrap CRW' we teach nowadays is vastly different from the experimental CRW practiced 15 years ago. Though we train vigorously on how to deal with wraps, we focus on the skills required to safely dock a canopy on a body. The instructors are adept at placing themselves (or allowing the student to place themselves) in a position where a wrap may occur."

When I heard that you kept this news from us I could not help but think of how much pie you are gonna get once you hit 1000. Bad Girl

I didn't actually keep it from everyone. I shared it with the two who were on the jump with me. :)

If you are going to pie me, you have to pie them too, as they were guilty of omission.

Special thanks for everything Nina, I know that everyone you helped appreciated it and we were glad you were there.

You are all so welcome. Thank you for inviting me. I had the greatest time. Call on me anytime you need me and I'll be there.

Nina
Nina

What a tremendous time I had this past weekend! I'll be bringing a lot of beer with me (and a tin of Altoids) this weekend as I did a lot of firsts. Many thanks to instructors Frank, Chris and Buz for teaching all of us pups, the excitement of CRW with safety. Nina - you were the unheralded star for me. Without you, it would have been a tedious ordeal of packing that bloody thing! Thank you so much for your patience and time! Elizabeth, thank you for running such an organized event and keeping everyone on task and on time.

I had an amazing time and look forward to the next time. I hope that Skydive Carolina! will be a more prominent destination for CRW camps and CRW dogs in the future.

Buz - a new tin of altoids for you. I'm still picking those things up from off the ground..........
Don't Miss CarolinaFest 2012!
http://www.carolinafestboogie.com
May 29 - June 3, 2012

Nina - you were the unheralded star for me. Without you, it would have been a tedious ordeal of packing that bloody thing! Thank you so much for your patience and time!

AWWWWW :$ Sniff, sniff, sniff...now look what you've done. I think I'm going to cry.

Darlin', I gladly did for you what people have done, and are still doing to help me. While I picked up on packing a Lightning rapidly (Probably because I wanted to do CRW more than life itself), I was the student from hell when it came to Pro-packing my 9-cell main. Shoot, sometimes I STILL have problems with it. You'll get this packing thing one day, and then you'll be thinking to yourself, "Man, I can't believe I had all of those problems." And then you'll be teaching someone else, too!

Remember, "TAILPOCKETS RULE!!!!"

Nina

P.S. Buy Tic Tacs...they're cheaper!
Nina

What?!?!?! Boinky's 300th?

We missed a pieing? :(>:(:(>:(

not to mention...

...SHE'S NEVER BEEN PIED ANYWAY:):)
Glad ya'll had a good time, I'm sorry I had to miss it.... Just remember.... the dark side isn't so bad :) :) :) :) :)

CRW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

...SHE'S NEVER BEEN PIED ANYWAY:):)

:( Now that's just sad... :(

:) Nobody loves her enough to pie her? You only pie the ones you love. :)

Here I thought the CReW dogs and the Toadsuckers were a family... :P

Bolas "stirring up controversy" Rodriguez
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.