John4455

Getting Started........

At my home drop zone, CRW is almost completely, totally, non-existant. It is something that has always interested me, and I would love to do it. Anybody have any ideas on how I can spark some interest at my home DZ?
I was a part of the Kitty Hawk demo last month and there was an impressive crew team there. There were also two Navy Seals that was doing some nice crew stuff until they got scolded for it.
I have a couple of questions for anybody out there that cares to answer.
What is a cross connector?
What is special about crew toggles, and why do crew dogs sometimes have them hanging out the back of their rigs. Its kind of scary looking.
I understand about the non cascading a lines, is there any thing else special about a crw rig?
Thanks

How do ya like it Johnny?

What is a cross connector?

A cross connector is a piece of webbing that connects the front and rear riser (on a single riser). This allows the person to hook their feet under the cross connector when building a planed formation. I can't tell if the person in the picture below has cross connectors, but they allow for an easier grip. Here is a picture of the grip. http://www.pics.kaybee.org:81/skydiving/crw/biplanes/mark-stack.jpg

What is special about crew toggles, and why do crew dogs sometimes have them hanging out the back of their rigs. Its kind of scary looking.

Toggles and risers in CRW need to have special features that add functionality. For example, toggles need to be big to allow for quick access. Many people also have blocks sewn on to the risers to allow a better grip when pulling down on the risers. Some times, all of that stuff doesn't fit into the riser covers on ultra-sleek modern sport rigs. While it may look scary, it really doesn't pose as much of a hazard as most people think. Everything only needs to stay put through exit. We don't reach terminal velocity, and we usually don't expose the rigs to the relative wind.

I understand about the non cascading a lines, is there any thing else special about a crw rig?

You can refer to the following thread for a discussion about what makes a good CRW rig from a harness/container point of view. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=334271

Just about all of the recreational/competition CRW that is done in the US is done with Performance Designs Lightnings. Wingloadings will be about 1.3-1.4, for weekend recreational CRW (that WL range was also about the wingloadings used in the recent world records). CRW with modern high performance canopies adds more dangers with faster reacting canopies that have questionable stability in CRW and Spectra microline that will cut through flesh and bone. I certainly don't have the experience to teach or even to give advice, but I think most people will agree that it is best to learn to do CRW on a Lightning, or atleast another docile rectangular canopy with Dacron lines. Using a non-CRW canopy to do CRW can be done safely, but also adds a lot more risk, especially for a beginner. Lightnings and other CRW canopies have a retractable pilot chute. If you do CRW with a standard pilot chute and bridle, and the bridles happen to entangle, you will be in a nasty situation. Using a CRW specific canopy mitigates many of the risks of flying canopies together.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can spark some interest at my home DZ?

That's a good question. Unfortunately, it is hard to start an interest in a discipline like CRW. The use of extremely high performance canopies as an everyday main has really hurt CRW. I haven't been in the sport long enough to say for myself, but from what I have heard, long ago, people used to do CRW right after a regular RW jump. The canopies were docile enough and had Dacron lines which allowed it. Now, with people jumping Velocities and VX's, doing CRW is not really an option. People have tried to do Velocity CRW, but it is dangerous and they usually have to fly the canopies on the edge just to get them together. So all of the CRW dogs that do CRW have CRW-specific rigs and dedicated jumps. Very few people get introduced to our great discipline since they don't see it done on a daily basis. We have the same problem at our home dropzone. There are really only 3 people with Lightnings that regularly jump, and we are trying to let people see how cool we are and maybe they can come over to the other dark side.. :ph34r:

I've attached a picture of my cross connectors and risers just for fun.

One thing in addition - Spectres and Triathalons work very well for doing CRW. There are usually a lot more of those at the drop zone, and they're very good for the basics. To go to camps and do big-ways, you'd want to get a Lightning, but 4-stacks at the drop zone can easily be done with a mix of modern 7-cells.

(And while I DEFINITELY don't recommend it for beginners, its not hard to do CRW with Velocities and such. You just have to be more careful. )

A cross connector is a piece of webbing that connects the front and rear riser (on a single riser).

Hmmm... If I remember correctly the cross connector originates from escape systems which had quick release buckles in front of the shoulders. The risers were "cross connected" left-right because these quick release buckles sometimes failed (or were prematurely activated). The same system was later used for crew (for the above mentioned reason) but they snagged the reserve container. They were modified "front-aft" and are also called stirups.

If you do CRW with a standard pilot chute and bridle, and the bridles happen to entangle, you will be in a nasty situation.

A simple solution here is to use student rigs with old Ravens or what have you. Static line them, no pilot chutes!

You might like this old thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=62134

Greetings,
Remk0

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.