Yoshi

tried it for real

well this past weekend got a 2 stach a side by side and a down plane (for a second before the pressure pulled us apart). any good tips on how to hold a down plane solid? we tried facing eachother once in a side by side and wrapping our legs around eachothers bodies and as we pulled those toggles to force the downplane we got pulled apart. had a blast and I can wait to have a crew rig for those pretty puffy cloud days:):)

-yoshi

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=215449;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I was fishing around for a good description on the method of going from side-by-side to a leg lock but couldn't find it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

cool Ill have to try that way. I also heard that initiating a side by side first then kicking your feet backwards in between eachothers legs works well too... Ill jsut have to go up and try it all a few times.

-yoshi

as far as the tension on a downplane, it's hard, but if you can hold on it will smooth out; although some are just way too hard, no matter how strong you are. I've held some for 3,000 feet and others for only a couple of hundred (go figure).

an easier way to do a downplane is from a regular plane without going into a side by side. the top jumper gets out of the risers while the botton jumper pulls him STRAIGHT down (instead of to the side); the top jumper should stop coming down when his hands reach the bottom jumpers three rings. the top jumper then spreads his legs and waits for the bottom jumper to kick up his legs to the top. the top jumper holds the bottom's legs loosely enough so the bottom jumper can turn face to earth. after he turns face to earth, the bottom jumper splits his canopy by pulling the toggle on the side he turned to, i.e., roll to the left, pull the left toggle. After the bottom jumper has turned face to earth the top jumper increases his grip,while the bottom jumper increases his grip once the canopies are split. PRESTO, you've gone from a bi-plane straight into a downplane. Try it with a three or four stack and you've got a dragplane where the bottom guy is completely upside down. TOO COOL.

As always I advise doing CRW with an experienced CRW dog, but if none is around ... be careful and have fun.

The problem with leg grips is that they don't always release precisely when you want them to. No big problem ...unless you are burning it low. B|

Michael

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=215449;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I was fishing around for a good description on the method of going from side-by-side to a leg lock but couldn't find it.

thanks for the advice. I think trying to get the leg locks while in a side by side was making it more difficult because of the pressure that was already there when we were going for it. Ill have to try that way this weekend...

-yoshi

ok I got the down plane 3 times this weekend and also a 3 stack!!!! it was so much fun. when my buddy and I held a down plane for 2k feet we released at about 1500 feet (yeah I know we can hold it longer but we are mere crew pups) we landed and were rushing with adrenaline as if we jsut did our first skydive. thanks for the tips on the leg locks.
cant wait until we can get the seting up down so we can hit that down plane right over the landing area and hold it till like 500 feet. its down the road a bit, but jsut looking forward to it.

-yoshi

Yoshi

My buddy (posts on here as "Bags")wanted to do CRW for his 700th jump ,and I
had just read this thread ,so decided we would do a down plane using the methods ChuckBrown described and held it from aprox 7000' to 4000'.
First CRW jump in a whole year! We also turned it
360 right and 180 left in this time.
We have not done a lot of down planes and mostly
stuck to pinwheels. Down planes are very cool!
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

thats sweet. because of the way we had our leg locks it twisted us in our harnesses a little and made us turn all the way down! it was so fun. I didnt want to let go and use a toggle, so I just gripped tight and held on for the ride of my life. pretty cool you held it for 3k...I wonder if anyone as riden one all the way down from alti...that would be cool...initiate it at 10 k and hold it to like 500 feet. I bet your legs would be pretty damn tired after that though!

have fun and be safe!
yoshi

I was holding Trevors foot locked in the crotch of my
right arm away from my reserve handle. This left his hands free to steer the down plane.The grip was not as strong as it could be and the canopies
(big 9 cells) have huge tension. We could hold it longer (better grip and front risers)but will just start lower next time. I found a cool way to get down from the top position in the bi-plane(read it in a book). Just squat and grab his risers with your hands....remove your feet from the risers...and in one motion lower yourself down in front...very fast.
CRW
Nice to see some still dig it.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Personally I would rather have complete control of my toggles while in a leg grip. If the grip is set up properly (with one person's feet under each armpit of the other; the other guy with a cross-leg over the belly of the other) than an easy release is there when you need it.

K

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

It's a nice grip, and will almost always release cleanly. It's that almost always thing that bothers me if I'm going <500'.

Michael

Personally I would rather have complete control of my toggles while in a leg grip. If the grip is set up properly (with one person's feet under each armpit of the other; the other guy with a cross-leg over the belly of the other) than an easy release is there when you need it.

K

It was great this past weekend. did another 7 crew dives and held that down plane to about 650 feet. the best thing is the guy that I was jumping with usually flies a saphire 169 ...he weighs 150 w/o gear. anyways we landed and he said "damn when we break off from the down plane its just like swooping!........well I dont swoop, but I imagine that is what it would fee like!" had me floored...

have fun, be safe, and hopefully see some of ya at Richmond "THE" Boogie.

-yoshi