Unstable

Canopy for CReW and Freefall

There seem to be a very limited number of canopies out there that are CReW specific. I know that many of them cannot be taken to freefall, and have very limited use outside the CReW setting.
What canopies out there would be good for recreational or more serious CReW as well as safe for landing a jumper after a RW or freefly dive? I know the triathalon is friendly for this, but i dont know if it is used for CReW beyond basic recrational docking with a couple of buddies?
What about a standard F1-11 7 cell or 9 cell by eithr PD or Flight Concepts? I know most jumpers now try to stay clear form the older F1-11, but wold these canopies accomodate regular CReW as well?

I appreciate any help i can get.

- sds

"NAP TIME!! OH BOY, THAT'S WHERE I'M A VIKING"
=========Shaun ==========

Its not so much as the material, as the crew features like the retractible PC and bridle that make CRW canopies different. A hybrid Tri with darcon lines would be the best of both worlds. But.... the really big stuff requires (or at least in the US) a Lightning so that everyone has the same glide ratio and similar line length.

One question you need to look at is how often will you be doing CRW? I love CRW and only 2 or 3 others at my DZ will even think about it, the rest think we are NUTS. If your only going to get to do it rarely you might want to weight the cost of a canopy into it. I've done CRW stacks with regular canopies, but it was with an experienced CRW dog that know all about microline and how dangerous it is.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Triathlon hybride is the canopy to go for freefall and occasional crew.Here in europe there are several teams using thetri for both disciplines.I use a triathlon hybride besides my Lightning and Diamond crewcanopy's for freefall and we always do crew after the jump.It's greatB|

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

Shaun,
I suggest you contact the Manufacturers of CRW Canopies and get the information you seek from them. Sure there are plenty of individuals with experience and some might even share valuable techniques with you: however it would seem unlikely that you will gain 25 or 30 years experience and or knowledge without input from the manufacturers and learning from those people that they will most certainly recommend.
Attached are the phone numbers of CRW canopy makers that are readily available . Who knows, you might even talk with the owners, designers or even people qualified to answer your questions.
Performance Designs 1-386-738-2224
Aerodyne research 1-813-837-1673
Flight Concepts 1- 770-458-1516
Para Flight 1-609-663-1275
Your honest questions deserve the best understandings and if you choose to contact any of these manufacturers, I would suggest you have all your questions written down in a form that you can attach each manufacturer's answers next to it. In this way, you will get the most informative and accurate information that you seek and you will be able to judge for yourself what is important to you.
Step up to the plate and make a swing, I think you'll be glad you did.
Cheers,
Buddha>>>>> A copy of Parachutist may have additional numbers you can contact>>>>

I suggest you contact the Manufacturers of CRW Canopies and get the information you seek from them...

I'll politely disagree. With the possible exception of Rusty Vest at PD (and another who is no longer in the business), I've found most canopy manufacturers (yes, those that make CRW canopies) know very little about CRW. There are plenty of posters right here who have significant CRW experience (including national/world competitors and world record holders) and can suggest canopies to fit the desired application.

I have ~250 jumps on a Triathlon 160 and will vouch for it's ability to do very acceptable "lite" CRW. Aside from a little less robust nose construction than I'd like (relative to a Lightning - just means avoiding really hard docks/grips), the hybrid Triathlon is great for mixed freefall/CRW use. I would avoid 9 cells and ellipticals because their higher aspect ratios make them turn (and wrap) faster. Keeping in mind that Tris are non-crossbraced low aspect 7 cells, I'd also avoid loading higher than ~1.3, at least initially.

Bob

I'm looking into the Hybrid Triathalon, maybe as a purchase after i pay off my parachute-loan at the end fo the summer, when i'll have about 125 jumps under my belt. However, Several people have called ADR and visited with them about their demo program, which i understand is a real problem out here in Kansas. The members of the DZ all agree the their demo program sucks.
Where could i go to try a Hybrid 190? Does anybody know if they will be up at Couch Freaks this year?
Any advice?

- SDS
ManHappening Kansas

PS - Thanks all of you for your great advice!
=========Shaun ==========

Where could i go to try a Hybrid 190? Does anybody know if they will be up at Couch Freaks this year?
Any advice?

Shaun,
Usually we have PD at CF but that is typically it as far as demoing goes. When u come up over mother's day we'll talk to Ed and see what he is getting lined up for this year. If aerodyne isn't out there, maybe we'll be able to persuade PD into bringing some lightnings too the boogie.
Our evening big ways are often with prodigys but this next year could be a change up. We'll see how iowa crew progresses this summer.:)
b

I have witnessed, and been involved in, several CReW jumps using a PD Spectre. PD won't put a retract on it for you, but that's not to say your local rigger couldn't

Could, maybe, but I think the reason that PD won't do it is because the canopy just can't handle it.

I've looked into this about a year ago, when I had a spectre 150 and wanted to do crew. I was told the canopy behaves strangely if you put rings on it.

Also you'd need reinforcement for the center cell, and at least a couple of new lines (non-cascaded centerlines and outer lines) to really make it a crew canopy, and microline isn't recommended either.

All in all, for me it came down to: either keep it the way it is, for light crew (most people I know won't jump with you if you have microlines tho), or go jump a real crew canopy (hybrid or comp tri, lightning), which I did.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Could, maybe, but I think the reason that PD won't do it is because the canopy just can't handle it.

I'll guess it has to do with the extra reinforcement necessary for the outer rings for which there are no specifications for the Spectre. That's in addition to non-cascaded lines, nose reinforcement, line lengths & trim, slider size & construction, etc.

'skies,

Bob