Danne

Recomended pilot-chute?

Hi,

I am looking for a new pilotchute for my CReW-rigg. I use a PD-ligftning 160 that i freepack in a old Javelin container. I jump from both fast and slow planes (Cessna and skyvan). What kind o pilotchute size and modell would you guys recomend?

Would a vented pilotchute used for Base-jumping maybe help the openings stay on-heading?

I use a 29" F111 PC with large mesh. ZP PCs tend to bounce around more whilst extracting the canopy and may affect heading as a result. The vented BASE design may have application to CReW, but there's no need for the size of BASE PCs. I've not had a chance to try one.

Bob

Would a vented pilotchute used for Base-jumping maybe help the openings stay on-heading?

I doubt it. F-111 PC's tend to dampen oscillation far better than ZP (even vented ZP) PC's. If I wanted to choose a PC for minimum heading degradation, I'd use a smallish (30" or so, but I'm probably pitching a tad bit lower than y'all) F-111 PC.

If I wanted to get all techy, I'd add circumference vents (far better, in my opinion, than the apex vents on most vented BASE PC's), but that's really probably overkill with an F-111 PC.

For stock gear, though, I think a small F-111 PC is going to serve you better than a vented ZP PC, especially as the smallest size currently available is CR's 32" ZP apex vent.

As an aside, the thing that generates more PC induced BASE off-headings than any other is assymetric attachment, not oscillation. I'm not sure if it's possible to assymetrically attach a skydiving PC, but if it is, I'd check that long before investing in a new PC.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanx for your input.

I´am also thinking about converting to a pull-out system to get rid of PC-hesitation and get better opening timing.

So, it seems that the recommended size and type would be a standard F-111 28-30 inch PC. I will also scrap my idéa about the vented PC...

What problems could there be with a pilot-chut that is to big?

BR,
/Danne

What problems could there be with a pilot-chut that is to big?

Using an oversized PC with a freepacked canopy can cause center cell strip, badly distorting the pack job during the opening sequence. This is generally felt in inconsistent openings (more often slow, but sometimes very fast or hard) and off-headings. In extreme cases, oversized PC's can generate so much snatch force and center cell strip that they can induce line over malfunctions.

Since you have plenty of altitude to spare, your best bet is probably to go smaller for better openings. I'd check with a good CRW jumper, though, for other considerations. I don't do CRW. Heck, I don't even skydive.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com