freeflyswc

crossfire crw??

Has anyone done crw with high performance canopies? I've been playing around with some freind's (we all jump crossfire's) and bumping end cell's , kicking pilot chutes , and walking on top their canopies , but have never taken a line dock. Is this too dangerous loaded @ 2:1????

I've done some very basic CReW on high performance canopies. I say very basic because that is ALL I will do on those kind of canopies. I've done quite a bit more with other canopies, though.

HiPer CReW can go bad *quick* and at those kinds of wingloadings, those micro lines can saw through you very quickly.

Basically, I, like Phree, would recommend you learn on larger canopies. A perfect world would put you out under Lightenings, or atleast something with Dacron lines, but you could always just use some old Sabres that you'd load at a light loading, that'd give you an advantage.

Also, do get someone with some experience to help you learn, I know that it helped me out a lot when I got some help from some experienced CReW dogz.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get proper CRW training from someone who really knows what they are doing.

For microline CRW you must have pants, long-sleeve shirt (a full jumpsuit is what I use) and gloves.

I also wear two hook-knives, one high, one low. If you're also going to do HiPer CRW, having had a cutaway before wouldn't hurt either.B|

I'd also reccommend a Lightening or Prodigy, but if you are going to do it with a Crossfire at 2:1 I *really* recommend that you talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

Things can go to hell pretty quickly, more so at 2:1. Don't panic, communicate.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I'm not sure about the prices this fall... let me ask around about it.

As for the CRW, I'm looking (PSSST Wendy!) for a Lighting 160 to buy for myself and one of the jumpers at the DZ already has a Lightning 176 and 193 in addition to a Tri 210 set up for CRW. Let me know if there is intrest and I'll try to set something up.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm not sure about the prices this fall... let me ask around about it.

As for the CRW, I'm looking (PSSST Wendy!) for a Lighting 160 to buy for myself and one of the jumpers at the DZ already has a Lightning 176 and 193 in addition to a Tri 210 set up for CRW. Let me know if there is intrest and I'll try to set something up.

Ask on the crwdogs mailing list. I definitely would never own a canopy that large!

W

I've done a bit of CRW with Lightnings & Prodigies (around 350 CRW jumps) ... and after receiving much training about what to do in case of emergency... I figured I'd try some 2-way high performance CRW with a friend: My VX + his Velocity.

The 2-stack was very unstable and both parties had to fly in pretty deep brakes just to slow the thing down so that we could think as fast as the errors that were trying to occur. I docked my VX onto the FX.. and since the FX pilot was in pretty deep brakes, he could not use his hands to dock... he had to look down & hook his feet through my lines. At this point, my VX kept trying to fly past the Velocity that I was docked onto... so the front center of my canopy would crumple and my wings would go in front of his legs.. so I'd grab some *more* brakes to slow down more... but this was making me float up on the top guy. Having the Velocity on bottom would probably have helped this issue, but we were unable to accomplish such a dock on this jump. After this jump, with high speed errors trying to occur: neither one of us was rushing to try it again.

I did receive complaints on the ground from the Velocity pilot about the amount of pressure he felt on his ankles when I docked, especially when we tried a 360 turn of the 2-stack (this 360 attemp was cut short early because of the amount of pressure it placed on his ankles). It was high pressure that was applied by two thin strips of Vectran... if something goes badly wrong in such a situation and thin lines get wrapped around appendages, and lots more pressure exerted on these points during a wrap: I really think body parts could be severed.

Using high performance canopies to learn the basics of CRW would be a very bad idea. The Velocity pilot and I have both done a good bit of CRW with CRW canopies, so we were able to recognize potential errors that were trying to occur... and during this particular dive we corrected them before they became serious. However, we both also recognized the high potential for problems that we do not have the skill or experience to correct.

If you learn CRW using big slow CRW canopies you will have a blast. It's a whole lot of new information to absorb. If you ignore the warnings against learning CRW using a high speed canopy that has tiny lines, you will very likely end up injuring yourself, or worse: a friend gets injured and you then have to deal with the conscience. Anyway, those are my thoughts on the issue... If you're ever in Atlanta area & want to try some CRW, contact me... we have several CRW canopies laying around here. =]

Chris Warnock

just hop and pop's and flyin around eachother about 5 times

At that level of experience, I would stay away from microlines, and canopys that can't take a hit and still fly.

A fast, hard slide of microline over a body part could put a damper on the rest of your life.

BSBD,

Michael