Kirils

Big CREW canopies obsolete?

A year ago I bought a new 200 Interceptor CREW canopy.
The buds who were interested in doing CREW gave up on the idea and I was stuck with the canopy. I tried to sell it and I was told "it's pretty big for CREW,
most people are using smaller chutes now".
Is this true?
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Yeah. Pretty much you're screwed. Occasionally you'll find people around doing CRW on Prodigies (no idea how the Interceptor flies with that) but most people jump Lightnings these days at 1.2-1.3
The other canopies people jump for competition (Expresses/Triathalons) are also loaded fairly high.

W

Yup, I got a 193, but have never used this particular canopy for crew. Although I use/borrow a 143, your big-ass canopy should be okay for basic stuff like stacks or planes. I've been on a few jumps where we had all sorts of sizes and managed some neat formations. But for Rots & Sequential you will need to be at the same wingloading. Like Wendy mentioned, 1.2 to 1.3.

Here's a pic. I'm docked 2nd w/ a L193. The pilot is on a 143 and the guy docked on me has a L193 as well. The rest of the stack ranged from 143s, 160s and a 126.

CRW1.jpg

I don't know if you're TOTALLY screwed, but close. I think you just need to find the right buyer. Look for a big person, like me! (But sorry, i'm not buying right now) :)
Really though, I jump a Prodigy 220, loaded 1.8 if you figure I'm 260 with gear on. A 200 would get me a more aggressive loading of 1.3. Now it's all a matter of finding someone who is heavy, and wants an Interceptor or flies with other compatible canopies. Hey, it's worth a shot! Good luck,
b

So, If I wanted to get a canopy canopy for CRW, (a second canopy) what charateristics should I look for and what wing loading should I get?

I've been holding on to this old Sabre 120 loaded 1.3 for CRW, but I've been thinking (dangerous) If Im only keeping it for crw, I should get rid of it and get something that's more crw appropriate. I only have 3 CRW jumps, but I would love to do more.

I was advised 7 cells, and Dacron lines.

Whaddaya think Wendy?

I've been told to stay at about 1.1-1.2ish. Just a note that crew is measured differntly then regular ratios. The way it was explained to me is canopy/body wieght plus weights. You don't figure the rig into the ratio. I'm looking for a 160ish Lighting at the moment and the search is going slow. I'm up to about 8-10 CRW jumps and everytime it gets better and better.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've been told to stay at about 1.1-1.2ish. Just a note that crew is measured differntly then regular ratios. The way it was explained to me is canopy/body wieght plus weights. You don't figure the rig into the ratio. I'm looking for a !60ish Lighting at the moment and the search is going slow. I'm up to aobut 8-10 CRW jumps and everytime it gets better and better.

Lightnings are the most common canopy of choice these days for recreational CRW. 7 cells, dacron lines are definite needs. A retract pilot chute is a bonus. If its just for recreational CRW, Spectres work great and you can use them for a freefall canopy. For getting in bigger formations you'd need a Lightning.

Wingloading with gear is usually 1.2-1.3 - typically on Lightnings we tell people to "skip a size". I.e. if you weigh 170 without gear, skip the 160 and buy a 143. If you weigh 130, skip the 126 and buy the 113. Obviously you do need to have the skill level required to land that kind of wing-loading. In general, the smaller people have a slightly higher wing-loading than the bigger people - we need it to get the same performance.

But for casual CRW Spectres and Triathalons work great and you can use them for freefall. A friend of mine has a Lightning 143 and a Spectre 150 and I have a hard time telling them apart in CRW formations.

W

Excellent information. That's about what I've been told and thanks for confirming it. This is a second canopy for me, so I really want something CRW appropriate.

I've also heard that my Sabre 120 should sell pretty well too.

A friend is selling her Tri 120, you think 1.3 is a little high for a beginner, (3 total CRW jumps?) Im 130 without gear.

( ahhh, skydiving the only sport where your completely honest about your weight to get the accurate answer! - gotta love it. )

A friend is selling her Tri 120, you think 1.3 is a little high for a beginner, (3 total CRW jumps?) Im 130 without gear. )

I assume that wing-loading is with gear? If so, and presuming that the canopy isn't too small for you in general conditions (I don't know your experience level), then it should be ok. Tri's are a bit more nose-down trim than Lightnings, but that means you have to front-riser less and rear riser more *usually easier.) They fly pretty well together tho.

W