jdhill

CRW Progession

I guess a lot of it depends on you and your instructor. Judging by your profile, you should not have many difficulties. I started on my 32nd jump, doing the usual base/pin drills. A 3 stack, then a couple of downplanes. Later came a 10 stack that broke up into different sizes after we held if for a while. Haven't docked 8th or later yet, nor done a tri-by-side or dragplane. What ever you end up doing, you will have a blast.

josh, i agree with shark...based on your profile it should be an easy transition, but i will throw in my 2 cents specifically based on the question asked regarding "skills one should demonstrate" for yourself or anyone else interested.
first and foremost, realize what is in the BSR's. have 20 jumps on a square, thorough knowledge of flight characteristics, and demonstrate accuracy on the ground. this is great advice and all, but i didn't start doing crew until after 100 jumps. go figure. anyhow...
imo, you should be comfortable and FAMILIAR with the canopy you will be using to start out. don't demo the new hot rod the day you want to try out crew. anyhow, you should know the responseivness of the canopy - in front risers, back risers, toggles, and combinations of any of those 3.
when starting to do 2 stacks (you gotta start somewhere) if you know someone experienced that you can trust, jump with them. he can compensate for your mistakes. if not, be sure that you and your other crew inexperienced friend take precautions and have a jump plan ahead of time. for 2 crew beginners wanting to try stuff out, i would propose the following:
have one of you practice being the "pin", "target", "punching bag", whatever. the pin will maintain a constant heading and sit in half brakes. the other guy should then *** try to demonstrate the following skills ***
1. be comfortable being in close flight with the pin. go above, side to side, below, behind (never in front) of the pin. use gentle inputs to see how your canopy behaves next to someone else. under normal jumping circumstances, the only time you get to feel your relative motion/speed with respect to another object is when landing. and the ground don't move! so landing is pretty easy. when approaching another moving canopy you should demonstate excellent awareness of your airspace, heading, and altitude.
you wonder why crew loads don't make it back? one of a few reasons - loss of altitude awareness, stubborness to build the planned formation or not come home, or a shitty pilot/pin:)
anyhow, practice getting close to the pin. decide if you want to rotate who is the pin, or if you want to, go every other load being the target. when you are ready to dock on the pin, for beginners, approach from low and behind. maintain decent airspeed while using your rear risers or toggles to float up. if you lose sight of the pin's feet, GET OUT OF THERE! you don't want the pin's feet coming down through the top of your canopy. if you lose site of your target, do a hard front riser to get down and away. turn back, recover, and try again. just concentrate on hitting their container or butt with your center cell, and the pin's feet will fall right back into your lines.
but you didn't ask how to make a stack so i'll back up...in regards to "flight characteristics" of a canopy, you need to think of two terms in crew - "heavy" and "light". you have 3 basic inputs on a sport canopy:
1. front riser = you become "heavy" (go down in relation to others) and you speed up.
2. rear riser = you become "light" (float up in relation to others) without much loss in speed (to the point you stall)
3. toggles = you become "light" and also slow down.
realize that when near the pin, you want to become "heavy" if getting too high, and "light" if dropping too low. your speed also comes into play. intermediate/advanced techniques allow you to exhibit the 4th characteristic, "heavy" and maintaining speed and/or slowing down.
well now i'm rambling. so, for a recap, you want to know how your canopy behaves in regards to others (proximity drills, realizing the difference between "light" and "heavy" control inputs) and you want to be comfortable with the canopy behavior. having someone experienced helps, but is not necessary.
as for your second question, "doing down planes up high v. doing them down low." this is one you can only answer for yourself. when doing crew, always remember the following - don't attempt any manuver at an altitude you would not be comfortable with in freefall. learn downplanes up high, know the grips, and understand how the canopies will behave at 5000 feet before you try one at 1500.
OH and last but not least, if you are going to do crew, don't forget our prayer:
"please god don't let me fuck this up!"
billoooooooo

Billo and Shark...
Thanks for your input...
The basis for my question was not for my starting to do CRW (although I do enjoy trying the occasional 2-stack with velocity's), but rather in the interest of safety.
I have seen and heard about people doing what I would consider more advanced maneuvers close to the ground with only limited experience (down plane that breaks so low that you swing back under the canopy and land in whatever direction you were headed because you don't have any altitude to turn). Some of them have gotten hurt some have come real close...
Just wanted to see what the CRW community considered a logical skill progression.
Who knows, maybe I'll give serious CRW a try someday... But right now I enjoy my little pocket rocket too much! (fyi.. I don't advocate downsizing or hookturns without compotent instruction and a full evaluation of the required skills)
Thanks again for your input.
http://www.aerialfusion.com

just a comment to billo's discussion on CRW progression. he is absolutely correct that the base should not attempt a pin if he can't see the pin's feet; however, when getting "out of there" PLEASE do not use either your brakes or rear risers. it's best to use a single front riser (or nasser toggle if you have 'em) to move DOWN and away from the pin until you can see him again. then you can reapproach the target.
as to maneuvers down low; a good rule to observe is no docks below 2,000' and break of formations at 2,000' unless you're going to do a downplane or land a stack. below 2,000' is not the place to have to cut-away from a wrap.
as to how low to take a downplane, know what the ground winds are doing and any obstacles to avoid at break off. it's not really fun to do a downwind landing in 20 mph winds or to avoid an obstacle. on the other hand if you've got no winds and no obstacles burn it down! (look around during the downplane and see how the formation is flying and what your "outs" are)
most importantly though, enjoy the beauty of the DARK SIDE.

most importantly though, enjoy the beauty of the DARK SIDE.

billo to the rest of the freeflyers- "soon they will realize the power of the dark side...if they do not turn, they will die!" ;)

just re-read billo's post and he does discuss using front risers. a thousand pardons.

no sweat! :)
grab it or wear it,
b