mrken

ordering suit

So I am curently 200 lbs and falling pretty fast as it is. I'd like to order my own jumpsuit but it seems what i've been reading here that a baggy suit will make the learning process more difficult? Should I go for a tight cut ? Will this cause that significant of a speed increase? I suppose I could play it safe and just select "Medium" for bagginess?

#1 call Sherry at Firefly. #2 baggy will help. Smaller guys get away with tight cut and I am taliking 180 and down and the 180 guy better be good to do that with a tight cut. There hits a certain point where, yes a lot of people have went back to the tighter cut, but for heavier guys 99% of the time it is not going to work out near as well as it would for a smaller guy. You still need range of speed too, big guys need that bagginess to help range. If anything go baggy to start and build some skill and then go to less if you think it will help your game. Hope this helps.

Joel
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I'm 180 out of the shower. My last freefly suit was super baggy. I just got a new suit that is trim cut in the arms and torso (it's tight), and standard cut in the legs (about the same baginess as a pair of jeans). I think I can actually fly slower on my head in the new suit, and it's way easier to reach out to take grips with it. I did get the arms and legs double-layered, but I also switched from polycotton to supplex, which is theoretically a faster material. I'm not so convinced anymore that baggier means slower...

Canuck

I'm not so convinced anymore that baggier means slower...

Here's my theory, and that is all it is. With a baggy suit, you have to work twice as hard to extend your limbs to slow down. Tighter suit, you can throw those legs out, present max surface area, and not fight all that fabric flapping around. Same goes for your arms. I believe that you can explore your FULL range in a tighter suit.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Baggy is hard to fly, as it can make using your flight surfaces difficult to utilize. A key to getting the drag you need without the balloon suit is the type of fabric your suit is made out of, and how many layers it has. More layers equals more drag without the bagginess. Also, ZP tunnel suits give you more lift than lets say a Taslan, or Supplex fabric. Ever seen a ZP suit that was baggy? I haven't (not saying there aren't any), but its rare. Also, one more thing to add.....baggy can lead to bad habits and body position, learn to fly your god given body at an early jump number without handicaps, and you will be better off in the future. (That's coming from personal experience and several hours in the tunnel fixing it.;))

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I'm about 200 as well and in the past I've gone to a smaller Matter Suit from a baggier suit. I was stoked for a while but I have now gone back to a bigger suit as I just can't go slow enough on my head while staying in a comfortable range. Go with more bag in the legs, less in the arms. It'll be harder to fly headup at first, but once you can fly with strong legs, you'll be glad you have it. Baggy arms make you want to fly with a strong upper body in head-down and it makes it hard to fly relaxed and take docks. That's at least what my experience has taught me. Don't go for a Matter until they figure out what "baggy" means when you check the box.
"Bodygolfing" isn't as much fun as it sounds. People get pissed when you don't replace your divets.