FreeflyGoat

How does the tunnel affect freefly skydiving?

When i trained at Perris with Mike and Eli i combined coached jumping, tunnel and fun jumping and i could literally feel my learning curve increasing each day. I reckon the tunnel is an awesome tool for freefly and any skydiving really.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I don't think it's a coincidence that all world class teams fly and train in the tunnel (belly, freestyle, and freefly). The tunnel has become an integral part of preparing for nationals and worlds.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I just finished a 30 min run this weekend at the tunnel. I know that throwing on a rig and getting out in the air will be different. The principals for movment, docking, and other skills are the same.
In the tunnel i was able to focus on precision, where in a regular skydive its tough for me to find some one to just lay base while I work on docking etc.
Im stoked about taking what I learned in the tunnel last weekend and using it this weekend.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I know that throwing on a rig and getting out in the air will be different.

I just wondered... would it be useless to have a fake rig on your back while in the tunnel? I mean to get a more realistic flow and stuff, without having the risk of a real canopy popping out.
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

We have Tunnel Rigs here at Bedford,
Backflying in them is hard work as the rig will move to one side and you side slide into the walls, it takes some getting used to, Sit flying is okay and they have been used for head-down by The Freefly school for Freefly flyers that don't fly too good as well as BaByLoN.

I definately think the Tunnel is a good thing,
My 2005 Freefly B team with Steve Hogan scored 11.9 as UKFreefly.com winning Bronze and in 2006 we scored 35.9 as Out take and took Gold
We did 1 hour of tunnel training the week prior to practise our compulsories more than anything and then 4 team training jumps for the Free Routine

Freefly B has 5 rounds with a maximum of 10 points per round and it's FCFFC

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

I know that throwing on a rig and getting out in the air will be different.

I just wondered... would it be useless to have a fake rig on your back while in the tunnel? I mean to get a more realistic flow and stuff, without having the risk of a real canopy popping out.

I have seen pictures of rigs modified for tunnel use. Modified so that no items can come loose and damage the fans, and so that they no longer appear to be skyworthy gear.

My short experience, 40 min, in the tunnel leads me to believe that training with a rig in the tunnel would benifit the highly advanced fliers.

any input from the tunnel folks here?
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Backflying in them is hard work ... you side slide into the walls, it takes some getting used to
I definately think the Tunnel is a good thing,

Even without a rig on, that's exactly what I got from my tunnel time this weekend.

I really thought I was decent on my back in the sky... I beat the crap out of the walls in the tunnel!!!

Even though I didnt do as much time as hippie, I really think it will help when i get back out there. The tunnel coach, Travis, & hippie were all able to point out some of the flaws in my mechanics that might not have been so obvious in the sky.

So, now I must find a really good belly flier to go lay base for me and let me try to turn a few points with me on my back.

I intend to get some more tunnel time over the holidays while in FL to see my wife's family around Christmas.

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

I hate people who can afford tunnel time>:(
When I see people who only has 100 jump or so and can keep a stable head down and kick ass sit, I hate them....>:( They are all like" I just did couple hours in wind tunnel," I hate them>:(,
Bernie Sanders for President 2016